Exegesis or Eisegesis? Understanding Scripture via the Holy Spirit

beameup

I've noticed that a lot of posters favor the eisegesis method of studying the Scriptures.
As I was indoctrinated in the Jehovah's Witnesses at an early age, followed by indoctrination as a Mormon, I'm very familiar with "reading into" the text to bolster pre-conceived doctrine. Jehovah's Witness doctrine is the polar opposite of Mormon doctrine, yet both use the Holy Scriptures to push their "agenda". From my experience, the vast majority of posters here use the eisegesis method in regards to Scripture. I have long since departed from false doctrine by allowing the Holy Spirit to "guide me into all truth" of the Scripture.

exegesis is the process of drawing out the meaning from a text in accordance with the context and discoverable meaning. :sherlock:
eisegesis occurs when a reader imposes his or her interpretation into and onto the text.

Last edited:

beameup

Study to show thyself approved unto God,
a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,

rightly dividing the word of truth.
2 Timothy 2:15

We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us;
he that is not of God heareth not us.
Hereby know we the Spirit of truth,
and the spirit of error. - 1 John 4:6

Last edited:

Tattooed Theist

I'll let the Scriptures do the talkin' :thumb:

If that's true then it's not eisegesis, it's exegesis.

Eisegesis is heretical in nature.
The scriptures are all inclusive in nature, you're essentially "playing God" when you decide what you want the bible to say rather than what it does.

If you're reading Harry Potter, you don't get to decide that Ron really has purple hair. The author states that he has red hair, so he has red hair.

right?

beameup

Eisegesis is heretical in nature.
right?

Everyone "quotes scripture".
Mormons "quote scripture",
JWs "quote scripture"...
yet they are polar opposites in many ways.

The OP simply defines two methods of "handling" Scripture.
"Rightly Dividing" is the major issue in "handling" Scripture.