PDA

View Full Version : Ignore notifications

MaryContrary
August 29th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I noticed that drbrumley had a little note in his sig that he had Koban on ignore and this brought to mind my own list in my sig.
It occurs to me that this might be a handy feature to add, yes? I would think if we could be given the option of listing who we have on ignore in the sidebar that'd be pretty cool.
I like listing mine in the sig so those folks will know I have them ignore. Yes, I actually worry about someone wasting time addressing me when I'm not hearing them. The way I figure it, if you're going to put someone on ignore, you should at least let them know.
And you could make it an option, perhaps even on a case by case basis, as some might not even want to announce who all they have on ignore. Maybe a little checkbox for who on your ignore list you want appearing on your ignore list in the sidebar.

I'd personally love to have that little bit of space back in my sig taken up with that list.

Is that doable?

Persephone66
August 29th, 2008, 08:34 PM
That would be kinda cool

Dena
August 30th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I used to be on a board where your had an ignore bin. Everyone could see who you had on ignore. They called it the "iggy bin". I have yet to even figure out how to put someone on ignore here but I've been told I have a stellar ability to pretend people don't exist.

MaryContrary
August 30th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I used to be on a board where your had an ignore bin. Everyone could see who you had on ignore. They called it the "iggy bin". I have yet to even figure out how to put someone on ignore here but I've been told I have a stellar ability to pretend people don't exist.
:rotfl:

Lion
August 30th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Sounds good to me.

Stripe
August 30th, 2008, 11:57 PM
:idunno: If you are going to ignore someone I say ignore them. Who needs functionality to support it?

But then again the statistician in me says, "Yay!". :D

Rusha
August 31st, 2008, 12:06 AM

If it gets to the point that I need to put someone on ignore, I prefer to just put them on ignore and move forward.

If someone is so annoying that I need to utilize the ignore feature, I certainly don't want to give them recognition every time I post.

Dena
August 31st, 2008, 06:16 AM
If someone is so annoying that I need to utilize the ignore feature, I certainly don't want to give them recognition every time I post.

The feature I saw was on shown in your posts. It was more like something on your profile. It didn't show everytime you posted.

Nick M
August 31st, 2008, 02:21 PM
Why have anybody on ignore?

DoogieTalons
August 31st, 2008, 03:08 PM
I think ignoring regular posters is an extreme sign of weakness.... only she'll never know I think this.

Town Heretic
August 31st, 2008, 03:32 PM
If I put everyone on ignore who offended my sensibilities I'd lose half the best lines they tend to generate in response...:think: Mostly I agree with Stripe's initial comment (reason enough to dismiss me entirely) and tend use the same ignore mechanism that I employ for self editing--my noggin.

The great thing about relying on your noggin is that it has a lifetime warranty, is as realiable as your own good opinion and burns calories. Show me a button that can match that. :thumb:

(Some ideas sold separately. Noggin content not available in all states or Puerto Rico.)

Lighthouse
August 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM
In some cases it keeps me from getting so angry I say something that might get me banned. Other times it so I can pass over tripe easier, such as posts by Squeaky.

nicholsmom
August 31st, 2008, 09:12 PM
I only use ignore to prevent myself answering someone (really ONE) who I never want to be tempted to answer. I am quite certain that he will turn and rend me & I have better things to do with my time. But I tend to forget, so I put him on ignore & I never have to be tempted.

Lighthouse
August 31st, 2008, 09:18 PM
I only use ignore to prevent myself answering someone (really ONE) who I never want to be tempted to answer. I am quite certain that he will turn and rend me & I have better things to do with my time. But I tend to forget, so I put him on ignore & I never have to be tempted.
The only reason he would rend you asunder is because your assertions do not have a solid foundation. If they did, no one would be able to tear them down, or you, for that matter.

Dena
August 31st, 2008, 09:32 PM

I would do it so as to keep myself from sin. There are times that certain people drive me so insane that I am tempted to lose my temper and say things I should not. This would be my only reason for using ignore. I've yet to do it.

nicholsmom
August 31st, 2008, 10:13 PM
The only reason he would rend you asunder is because your assertions do not have a solid foundation. If they did, no one would be able to tear them down, or you, for that matter.

Do you have restless leg syndrome?

Lighthouse
August 31st, 2008, 10:18 PM
Do you have restless leg syndrome?
No. Why does that even matter?

Nick M
September 1st, 2008, 12:16 AM
In some cases it keeps me from getting so angry I say something that might get me banned. Other times it so I can pass over tripe easier, such as posts by Squeaky.

I can see the merit of opening the forum and not seeing the squeakster has been here. Most of his threads require no reproof. Most people just open it and laugh or scratch their head.

I would do it so as to keep myself from sin. There are times that certain people drive me so insane that I am tempted to lose my temper and say things I should not. This would be my only reason for using ignore. I've yet to do it.

In other words you are trying to have manners. Otherwise, do you not know that you are dead to sin? Unless you are one of those that reject the sealing of the Holy Spirit, and want to work your way in. Here is a hint. All have fallen short.

Rusha
September 1st, 2008, 12:22 AM

Same here. There are only a few people I have on ignore ... and I utilize it so I am not tempted to read anything they post.

dreadknought
September 1st, 2008, 12:24 AM

It saves space on my computer screen and I don't get a headache from :bang:

Dena
September 1st, 2008, 12:54 PM
In other words you are trying to have manners. Otherwise, do you not know that you are dead to sin? Unless you are one of those that reject the sealing of the Holy Spirit, and want to work your way in. Here is a hint. All have fallen short.

I'm sorry but I'm not really sure what you are trying to say. Yes, I want to have manners. I don't know what else you are asking.

Nick M
September 1st, 2008, 01:33 PM
You think you are sinning if you do something wrong?

Better yet, do you think it is sin to tell the truth, even if it hurts that persons feelings? You said you put somebody on ignore so you don't sin. That doesn't compute.

shagster01
September 1st, 2008, 02:18 PM
Ignore is stupid. I like laughing at the idiots that would otherwise make my ignore list.

Town Heretic
September 1st, 2008, 02:25 PM
Why isn't anyone responding to MY post? :think:

:think:

:shocked:

Rusha
September 1st, 2008, 02:27 PM
Why isn't anyone responding to MY post? :think:

:shocked:

Cuz dude ... I am ignoring you! ;)

Town Heretic
September 1st, 2008, 02:58 PM
I said, why isn't anyone responding to MY post? :think: :D

I got you for a microsecond anyway...:chuckle:

Dena
September 1st, 2008, 03:04 PM

Yes. I am sinning if I do something wrong.

Better yet, do you think it is sin to tell the truth, even if it hurts that persons feelings?

I think that losing my temper and calling someone names...or being mean to someone beause I don't like them is sinful.

Furthermore, I don't think its very lady like to totally lose it and go on a screaming rampage..which, I am prone to want to do. I'm the same way IRL. I struggle with my temper. I can't picture the virtuous woman described in Proverbs 31 or Titus 2 behaving in such a manner and nor should I.

Dena
September 1st, 2008, 03:12 PM
[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]I said, why isn't anyone responding to MY post? :think: :D

Town Heretic
September 1st, 2008, 03:19 PM

Just remember, if it wasn't for me you'd still be eating Oreas...:rotfl:

Dena
September 1st, 2008, 03:35 PM

Maybe they have fewer calories than the real deal. :p

Town Heretic
September 1st, 2008, 03:39 PM

Maybe they have fewer calories than the real deal. :p
:think:...I think Wal-Mart has them made in China (and they're like 40% asbestos--the rest, oddly enough, being a preservative).

Weight loss is guaranteed--eventually. :shocked:

Dena
September 1st, 2008, 03:47 PM
Sweet!!!!

Lighthouse
September 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM

Better yet, do you think it is sin to tell the truth, even if it hurts that persons feelings? You said you put somebody on ignore so you don't sin. That doesn't compute.

Yes. I am sinning if I do something wrong.

I think that losing my temper and calling someone names...or being mean to someone beause I don't like them is sinful.

Furthermore, I don't think its very lady like to totally lose it and go on a screaming rampage..which, I am prone to want to do. I'm the same way IRL. I struggle with my temper. I can't picture the virtuous woman described in Proverbs 31 or Titus 2 behaving in such a manner and nor should I.
Well, I was thinking you were just trying to not get banned, as I am. But, fyi, you are free from sin. In fact you are dead to it. It has no power over you. He has empowered you over it.

Dena
September 1st, 2008, 09:05 PM
Well, I was thinking you were just trying to not get banned, as I am. But, fyi, you are free from sin. In fact you are dead to it. It has no power over you. He has empowered you over it.

I'm not too afraid of getting banned. I suppose it could happen but I think its unlikely. I don't know what you and Nick believe about sin but I believe that I still sin. I still struggle. The Lord will help me but I am still a sinful human being. I am tempted to sin all the time!! Everyday I struggle.

You don't think you sin? Do you do anything wrong? Or do you just not consider the wrong you do to be sin?

Lighthouse
September 1st, 2008, 09:12 PM
I'm not too afraid of getting banned. I suppose it could happen but I think its unlikely. I don't know what you and Nick believe about sin but I believe that I still sin. I still struggle. The Lord will help me but I am still a sinful human being. I am tempted to sin all the time!! Everyday I struggle.

You don't think you sin? Do you do anything wrong? Or do you just not consider the wrong you do to be sin?
The flesh is completely unrighteous, and therefore can do nothing but sin. However, we are not our flesh. We are spirit, for that is our identity in Him. And in Him there is no sin. He does not identify us with our sin, so we do not identify ourselves with our sin. We are not sinners, for He has made us righteous.

And because of His grace we are not slaves to sin. We are slaves to righteousness. And by this we are able to walk in the spirit and not in the flesh, and are able to reject temptation and sin. Not by keeping ourselves from the things that tempt us, but even in the midst of them.

Dena
September 1st, 2008, 09:38 PM
And by this we are able to walk in the spirit and not in the flesh, and are able to reject temptation and sin.

I do things I should not do. I eat what I shouldn't eat. I scream at my husband. I envy others. I want things I don't need. I do things my husband has asked me not to do. I'm rude to my mother. I lose my temper. I watch movies I shoud not watch. I think about things that are inappropriate. All those are sins. I do things that are wrong. So now, are you saying I'm not saved? Or that those are not sins because I am righteous in the Lord?

Nick M
September 2nd, 2008, 12:33 AM
I do things I should not do. I eat what I shouldn't eat. I scream at my husband. I envy others. I want things I don't need. I do things my husband has asked me not to do. I'm rude to my mother. I lose my temper. I watch movies I shoud not watch. I think about things that are inappropriate. All those are sins. I do things that are wrong. So now, are you saying I'm not saved? Or that those are not sins because I am righteous in the Lord?

Oh, so you admit you are a human. How interesting.

We all do things, commit acts that are sin. But you aren't in sin if you believe the gospel. It isn't accepting Jesus and living like a disciple or sinless. That is impossible. That being said, grace is not a license to sin. Yes, we still know right from wrong, and have to deal with it.

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin. Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
From Slaves of Sin to Slaves of God

What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not! Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered. And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.
For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Paul's example of being a slave to righteousness.

Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives? For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband.[/B] So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man. Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God. For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

Even though we commit acts that are sin, our flesh ensures that we will, we are dead to sin. We are slaves to righteousness, because of what he did, not something we do. Aside from believing him.

Dena
September 2nd, 2008, 12:52 PM
Okay, so we have established that I do sin. So what on earth is wrong with trying to keep myself from sinning?

MaryContrary
September 2nd, 2008, 06:35 PM
I have different reasons for having different people on ignore. With red77, for example, I just can't help responding to his inanity. So in that case I'm more just banning myself from access to his posts. Lots of wasted time there. Pretty much the same thing, different flavor, with Doogie is Ignoramus...er...Iblis.
MOM...well, I mean sheesh. It's MOM. Mainly just to skip the two pages of :dizzy: before I get to something of substance.

Lighthouse
September 2nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
How is eating anything a sin? Can you explain that one to me? And what kind of movies do you think you should not watch?

And, no, I'm not saying you are not saved. I am saying that you have the power to reject the temptation to commit those sins. And that none of these sins are accounted to you, if you are indeed in Christ. You are not a slave to unrighteousness. You are a slave to righteousness. You need to recognize that.

I have different reasons for having different people on ignore. With red77, for example, I just can't help responding to his inanity. So in that case I'm more just banning myself from access to his posts. Lots of wasted time there. Pretty much the same thing, different flavor, with Doogie is Ignoramus...er...Iblis.
MOM...well, I mean sheesh. It's MOM. Mainly just to skip the two pages of :dizzy: before I get to something of substance.
I completely understand the ignoring of MOM. Especially when they post 10 posts one right after the other in the same thread.:bang:

Dena
September 2nd, 2008, 11:31 PM
How is eating anything a sin? Can you explain that one to me? And what kind of movies do you think you should not watch?

When you eat until you are totally stuffed...way beyond what you need, I think it's a sin. What movies? Hmm..Oh, I have an example. Sex in the City. I'm sorta interested in the plot and what happens but I seriously don't think I should be watching that filth. Since I'm well aware that I shouldn't watch it if I give in and watch anyway, thats probably sinful.

Lighthouse
September 3rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
When you eat until you are totally stuffed...way beyond what you need, I think it's a sin. What movies? Hmm..Oh, I have an example. Sex in the City. I'm sorta interested in the plot and what happens but I seriously don't think I should be watching that filth. Since I'm well aware that I shouldn't watch it if I give in and watch anyway, thats probably sinful.
1] What makes over-eating a sin?
2] Why shouldn't you watch that movie? No need to get graphic, of course.

Dena
September 3rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
1] What makes over-eating a sin?
2] Why shouldn't you watch that movie? No need to get graphic, of course.

If you don't know the answers to these already there is nothing I can say to explain it to you.

Lighthouse
September 3rd, 2008, 02:43 PM
If you don't know the answers to these already there is nothing I can say to explain it to you.
As far as the movie goes, I've never seen it, and I don't intend to. It's not my cup of tea. And I never watched the show, either. So I don't know that much about it.

As far as the food thing, can you give me Scripture to show that eating too much is a sin?

shagster01
September 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
As far as the food thing, can you give me Scripture to show that eating too much is a sin?

Proverbs 23:2
Put a knife to your throat
if you are given to gluttony.

It doesn't say it is a sin, but is certainly doesn't sound like a recommended hobby or a godly practice either.

Town Heretic
September 3rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Unless gluttony/avarice honors God it would seem that how we keep the temple matters to God.

Quincy
September 3rd, 2008, 10:38 PM
If that option comes to be I hope there is an ability to ignore ignore notifications, or else I can see some people here spamming the point. Sorry if I stole an idea, but 4 pages is alot to read through.

Dena
September 3rd, 2008, 10:50 PM
Titus 2 also mentions that we should exercise self control and resist wordly desires.

Dena
September 3rd, 2008, 10:52 PM
Unless gluttony/avarice honors God it would seem that how we keep the temple matters to God.

And this particular temple is FAT. So I would think that contributing to it getting even fatter (or at least not any less) would be displeasing to the Lord.

OMEGA
September 3rd, 2008, 10:53 PM
I do not need a list of who is ignoring me .

No one listens to me anyway. :sheep:

MaryContrary
September 3rd, 2008, 10:55 PM
http://www.openbible.info/topics/gluttony :D

I'd have posted the whole thing here but it's looong. And some of it is debatable as to relevance anyway.

Dena
September 3rd, 2008, 11:00 PM
I do not need a list of who is ignoring me .

No one listens to me anyway. :sheep:

What did you say?

Town Heretic
September 3rd, 2008, 11:26 PM
What did you say?
What did who say? :think:

Dena
September 3rd, 2008, 11:30 PM
What did who say? :think:

I must be seeing things.

Lighthouse
September 4th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Proverbs 23:2
Put a knife to your throat
if you are given to gluttony.

It doesn't say it is a sin, but is certainly doesn't sound like a recommended hobby or a godly practice either.
Gluttony and eating too much once in a while are not the same thing. Care to try again?