Are you excited about self-driving cars?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The future is coming! :car:

Just wondering how everyone feels about the recent fleet of self-driving Uber cars in Pittsburgh.

I don't like it. The immediate concern is safety as it will probably be quite some time until I'd be comfortable with it (yes I know there are currently still back-up drivers).
Beyond that, I'm wary of the increase in self-doing things. I don't want to live in a future in which we're drones that let machines do everything for us. :noid:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I do not like it either. Loss of jobs is a problem. What people in urban areas need is to use better public transportation.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Just wondering how everyone feels about the recent fleet of self-driving Uber cars in Pittsburgh.

I don't like it. The immediate concern is safety as it will probably be quite some time until I'd be comfortable with it (yes I know there are currently still back-up drivers).
Beyond that, I'm wary of the increase in self-doing things. I don't want to live in a future in which we're drones that let machines do everything for us. :noid:

I like it kdog !! It is safer than humans, it has been shown. It will be hard to get used to at first but in 50 years it will be normal. My question is, what if the car loses touch with the satellite connection? They also have self driving 18 wheelers already !!

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

I'd be pretty freaked out to see a self-driving car, I haven't seen one yet.

As for having one myself, I'm not interested. I like my steering wheel (okay, and gas pedal) too much.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The idea that we would be chauffeured around by robots comes at a time that driver’s ed is struggling. “Profit margins of driving schools have been eroding” over the past five years, according to research firm IBISWorld’s report on training and tutoring courses, although it did not break out exact revenue figures for driver’s education programs, it did note that this is due, in part, to the fact that operators have been raising prices, and in turn, people are shying away from driving instruction courses (in more than a dozen states it’s entirely or mostly optional). Millennials and subsequent generations may be driving this trend in more ways than one. “For the younger generations, the prices are going up so much that they have a hard time paying for them,” Brandon Ruiz, former analyst at IBISWorld says."

So, we have a need for a less costly approach to driving instruction. Then, do we really need to be concerned if cars will drive themselves?

"And Debbie Hersman, the president and chief executive of the National Safety Council, which has offered driver’s ed courses for 50 years, says that it will be decades before the roads are filled only with self-driving cars. People hold onto their cars for an average of 11 years, she says, and currently you can’t even buy a full self-driving car and when you can it may be years before they become affordable for many people.:
It seems the fist of these will be owned by older drivers, more wealthy, who can afford them, and a long tome off before they become popular.

The Berean

kmo, there is a lot of "red tape" that needs to be addressed before true self driving cars are on the road. One major issue is insurance. Who is liable for any accidents a self drivign car gets it.

Another issue is the reliability and "intelligence" of the software. Lets say you are in a self driving car on a two lane road. There is a large flatbed truck carrying large slabs of concrete. You are in the right hand lane. There is a motorcycle to your left and the sidewalk with lots of people to the right. Tghere is a car right behind you. Suddenly, one of the 1/2 ton slabs of concrete falls off the truck towards your car. What does the software do? Does it veer to the left and plow into the motorcyclist? Does it veer to to right and run over pedestrians? Does Does it hit the brake and the car behind you plow into you?

The Self-Driving Dilemma: Should Your Car Kill You To Save Others?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I like it kdog !! It is safer than humans, it has been shown. It will be hard to get used to at first but in 50 years it will be normal. My question is, what if the car loses touch with the satellite connection? They also have self driving 18 wheelers already !!
Where has it been shown to be safer? I certainly think there is potential to be safer but I haven't seen anything so far.

Satellites, that's another thing I don't want. I don't need every device connected to the interwebs or a satellite. :noid:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The idea that we would be chauffeured around by robots comes at a time that driver’s ed is struggling. “Profit margins of driving schools have been eroding” over the past five years, according to research firm IBISWorld’s report on training and tutoring courses, although it did not break out exact revenue figures for driver’s education programs, it did note that this is due, in part, to the fact that operators have been raising prices, and in turn, people are shying away from driving instruction courses (in more than a dozen states it’s entirely or mostly optional). Millennials and subsequent generations may be driving this trend in more ways than one. “For the younger generations, the prices are going up so much that they have a hard time paying for them,” Brandon Ruiz, former analyst at IBISWorld says."

So, we have a need for a less costly approach to driving instruction. Then, do we really need to be concerned if cars will drive themselves?

"And Debbie Hersman, the president and chief executive of the National Safety Council, which has offered driver’s ed courses for 50 years, says that it will be decades before the roads are filled only with self-driving cars. People hold onto their cars for an average of 11 years, she says, and currently you can’t even buy a full self-driving car and when you can it may be years before they become affordable for many people.:
It seems the fist of these will be owned by older drivers, more wealthy, who can afford them, and a long tome off before they become popular.

I was instructed by my parents. Isn't everyone? :idunno:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Me too! Driving is fun, at least sometimes. :plain:

Yeah, it's not always fun. I could do with less of this:

gXNKK.jpg

kmoney

Hall of Fame
kmo, there is a lot of "red tape" that needs to be addressed before true self driving cars are on the road. One major issue is insurance. Who is liable for any accidents a self drivign car gets it.

Another issue is the reliability and "intelligence" of the software. Lets say you are in a self driving car on a two lane road. There is a large flatbed truck carrying large slabs of concrete. You are in the right hand lane. There is a motorcycle to your left and the sidewalk with lots of people to the right. Tghere is a car right behind you. Suddenly, one of the 1/2 ton slabs of concrete falls off the truck towards your car. What does the software do? Does it veer to the left and plow into the motorcyclist? Does it veer to to right and run over pedestrians? Does Does it hit the brake and the car behind you plow into you?

The Self-Driving Dilemma: Should Your Car Kill You To Save Others?

Two important questions. :think:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Learned to drive in a field car at age thirteen. Here us the funny part, did not have a driver's license until I was eighteen. No, I never drove illegally, just did not drive then. :idunno:

Still have a manual transmission, but it is a worthless spare car because no one else is able to drive it.
The idea, going to self diving cars seems futuristic, to say the least.