ECT Where We Got The Bible - Radio Show

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned

T
he April 4, 2016 episode of Catholic Answers LIVE was titled "Where We Got the Bible."

You can listen to it and download it here: Where We Got the Bible | Catholic Answers LIVE

The guest is Joe Heschmeyer. He was an attorney in Washington, D.C., but these days he is a seminarian for the Archdiocese of Kansas City, Kansas.

I hope you guys listen and find it informative.

(You can search and listen to years worth of Catholic Answers LIVE episodes by adjusting the calendar here: Calendar | Catholic Answers LIVE )

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
I have a small book at home called "Where We Got the Bible" by Father Henry G. Graham.

where-we-got-bible-our-debt-to-catholic-church-3330331.jpg

I found the entire text online.

Chapter 11 is called "Abundance of Vernacular Scriptures before Wycliff"

Many people say that, prior to protestantism, English speaking peoples had no scriptures in their own tounge. Father Graham lays out in Chapter 11 that this is not so, and gives examples going all the way back to 1066. At one point he states:

"....After the Norman conquest in 1066, Anglo-Norman or Middle-English became the language of England, and consequently the next translations of the Bible we meet with are in that tongue. There are several specimens still known, such as the paraphrase of Orm (about 1150) and the Salus Animae (1050), the translations of William Shoreham and Richard Rolle, hermit of Hampole (died 1349). I say advisedly 'specimens' for those that have come down to us are merely indications of a much greater number that once existed, but afterwards perished....."

Here is a link: Where we got the bible

If you want to read chapter 11 and comment, I'd like to hear.
But here is a warning: This is an old book, and the style of writing is a bit combative and polemic. Please try to look past that and take no offense. Try to just look at the dates and information. A lot of it is very very interesting.

Danoh

Why are there 66 chapters in Isaiah?

Why are their similarities in each chapter with each of the 66 books of the Protestant Bible?

"What if" - never mind - speculation :chuckle:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
The Bible came from God. Only arrogant humans intent on controlling others would ever dare to claim that they were responsible for creating the Bible.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Why are there 66 chapters in Isaiah?

Why are their similarities in each chapter with each of the 66 books of the Protestant Bible?

"What if" - never mind - speculation :chuckle:

I take it you are referring to the Deuterocanonicals?
So, there is no question whatsoever that the Deuterocanonicals were in the Septuigent - the Greek Jewish Scriptures - centuries before Christ was born. So I hope you are reasonable enough not to believe the bogus LIE that they were "added" by the Council of Trent.

The real question is, which is the Old Testament that Christians have used since the beginning. Remember, we go by Apostolic authority, not Pharisaical authority, so I don't give a hoot what the Pharisees say.

With all that in mind, read this: CLICK HERE

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
So your position is that there are no human authors, and Bibles just magically appeared out of thin air. Thanks for that insight.
That is correct, there were no human Authors. There is only One Author. However, there were humane scribes who served the Authors purpose and will.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
That is correct, there were no human Authors. There is only One Author. However, there were humane scribes who served the Authors purpose and will.

No Christian of any denomination would accept that. That is a very bad concept of what "inspiration" is.

God "inspired" the sacred authors, he did not dictate to them as if they were secretaries.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
No Christian of any denomination would accept that. That is a very bad concept of what "inspiration" is.

God "inspired" the sacred authors, he did not dictate to them as if they were secretaries.
Though you use different words, I'm. Glad to see that you understand and agree with me.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Though you use different words, I'm. Glad to see that you understand and agree with me.

Hmmmm. Well let's move on.

God also inspired the men chose the canon of scripture from all the books available, right? When the New Testament was canonized there were tons of letters and gospels floating around, and God inspired the men who decided upon our current New Testament, correct?

That brings us back to the OP.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Hmmmm. Well let's move on.

God also inspired the men chose the canon of scripture from all the books available, right? When the New Testament was canonized there were tons of letters and gospels floating around, and God inspired the men who decided upon our current New Testament, correct?

That brings us back to the OP.
God is the Author of scripture. Whatever steps were involved along the way, scripture is God's work, not mans.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
God is the Author of scripture. Whatever steps were involved along the way, scripture is God's work, not mans.

Okay. So the same way that God inspired the authors, he also inspired those who chose which books to keep in the Bible right? I mean, he must have, right? Otherwise the New Testament might have the wrong books in it, right?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Okay. So the same way that God inspired the authors, he also inspired those who chose which books to keep in the Bible right? I mean, he must have, right? Otherwise the New Testament might have the wrong books in it, right?
I'm not sure why you keep trying to draw these meaningless distinctions unless you're trying to lay some sort of trap. Gos is the Author of scripture. He made sure that what He wanted in scripture is in scripture.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
I'm not sure why you keep trying to draw these meaningless distinctions unless you're trying to lay some sort of trap. Gos is the Author of scripture. He made sure that what He wanted in scripture is in scripture.

Its what the OP is all about.

Don't fear the answer, the truth will set you free