PDA

View Full Version : TOL newbie tips thread (add your own)

Knight
May 28th, 2008, 10:26 AM
There are a lot of newbies on TOL so maybe we should help them out by offering them some tips about the best and most proper ways to interact on TOL.

Let me offer a tip and invite other TOL regulars to add more tips.

TIP#1: ACTIVE THREADS PAGE (http://www.theologyonline.com/index.php?page=active)

In my opinion one of the first places you should check when you visit TOL is the active threads page (http://www.theologyonline.com/index.php?page=active) (bookmark it). The active threads page displays the 75(or so) TOL threads with recent posts in them. By using the active threads page you can stay up to date on all the topics that SPAN ALL the TOL forums.

Mr. 5020
May 28th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Newbies are constantly asking others, "How did you make your posts look like that?"

TIP #2: vB CODES (http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode)

Knight
May 28th, 2008, 10:33 AM
TIP#3: TOL MEMBERSHIP LEVELS (http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19318)
Theologyonline.com has a wide array of different membership levels that offer differing capabilities. Some are free and some membership levels have a small fee associated with them. Click here (http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19318) to review the various membership levels.

Maximeee
May 28th, 2008, 10:51 AM
TIP #4: Introduce yourself here (http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65).Let us know who you are, what you believe so that we don't have to figure it out on our own... :)

PaulMcNabb
May 28th, 2008, 02:27 PM
TIP #5: Embed the post to which you are replying.

Click on the QUOTE button at the bottom right of a post to create a response and to embed the original post in your reply.

When responding to a post you have quoted, you can insert comments into the middle of the quote by first closing the quote, then inserting your text, and then reopening the quote.

For example, if you are responding to this

What is the capital of Missouri?
What is the meaning of life?

you first click on QUOTE, which will give you this

and then enter your responses like this (note how we use the [/quote] to break out of the quote and then add a
before the start of the next question)

[quote=TOLuser]What is the capital of Missouri?
Jefferson City

Read the book.

which will give you a post that looks like this

Jefferson City

Read the book.

Maximeee
May 28th, 2008, 02:48 PM
TIP #6: Read the 16 (or is it 15 now?) Commandments. (http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2053)

Lighthouse
May 28th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Don't report posts that don't violate any of the fifteen commandments of TOL.

PyramidHead
May 28th, 2008, 06:27 PM
lurk for a day or two before making a lot of posts

kmoney
May 28th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Don't report posts that don't violate any of the fifteen commandments of TOL.
Or what? They'll be mocked by you?? Oh noes!!!! :shocked:

;)

kmoney
May 28th, 2008, 07:00 PM
My tip....

If you find a thread you like you can subscribe to it by using the "Thread Tools" at the top of each thread.
Or you can set it up so you are automatically subscribed to any thread you make a post in (that's how I do it). You do that from the "Edit Options" link in your User CP. And if you choose to you can receive email notifications about threads you have subscribed to.

To see your subscribed threads you go to your User CP. Ones with new posts that you haven't read will be there and will be in bold. If there hasn't been any recent activity in the thread you can click on a link to view all the subscribed threads.

The first thing I do everyday on TOL is check out my subscribed threads. :up:

PS: one caveat about the auto-subscribe feature is that if you don't maintain it you can quickly be subscribed to tons of threads, many of which you don't necessarily want to be subscribed to. That happens to me and then I have to spend time going through and unsubscribing to a bunch of threads. I still like that feature, though.

nicholsmom
May 28th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Use a spell checker like ieSpell - or use Mozilla which has a built-in spell checker. Then use it!! It's much easier to read your nonsense - er, well-reasoned posts if they have decent spelling.

See, I just checked this post & ieSpell didn't like either "Mozilla" (maybe wrong, I don't know), or "er"

ebenz47037
May 28th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Make sure you have a thick skin. Sometimes, we can seem a little rough to people. That's because most of us are tired of the politically correct clap-trap we see too often in society.

CRASH
May 28th, 2008, 10:17 PM
CRASH's tip:

Never start a thread introducing yourself, make one post and then never come back again.:madmad:

Door
May 28th, 2008, 10:24 PM
No gay avatars. :flamer: :down:

ebenz47037
May 28th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Before asking, "How do I get a personalized avatar?", remember you must be a member for two weeks and have fifty posts to do so. Until then, you can choose one from our stock (http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/profile.php?do=editavatar) of avatars (We have over one hundred to choose from.). :)

Town Heretic
May 29th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Eye think spiel checkers are overt rated.

That was an example of my old "beware the tot he" speech I gave advanced composition classes with regard to reliance on software of a mechanical sort. You may have meant to write that you went to the store, but spell check has no problem with you going tot he store, if you follow.

Read and edit your posts before running them up the flag pole, both for content, subject verb agreement and tense errors. No one expects perfection (well, except cattyfan :o) but sloppy writing infers sloppy thinking. If your thought is serious give the expression of it serious attention.

One Eyed Jack
May 29th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Expect to get called on outlandish claims.

chickenman
May 29th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Along the lines of what both Nicholsmom and TownHeretic have said, organize your posts in a readable format. Long posts can look too burdensome to bother with, or they can be formatted with indents, quotes, italics, etc. to break it up and make it look like it's an easy read.

Identical information can either look like a mess and no one will want to bother with it, or it can look appealing...simply due to formatting.

Town Heretic
May 29th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Along the lines of what both Nicholsmom and TownHeretic have said, organize your posts in a readable format. Long posts can look too burdensome to bother with, or they can be formatted with indents, quotes, italics, etc. to break it up and make it look like it's an easy read.

Identical information can either look like a mess and no one will want to bother with it, or it can look appealing...simply due to formatting.

Great points. And I think its better to paraphrase and link to information than to cut and paste whole cloth. If you've read something that altered your opinion or substantiated it then give us that opinion backed by the information. I'm not against short inclusions, some scripture is in itself an argument, but by and large this is a forum about what you think--not what page 467 has to say about it.

cattyfan
May 29th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Always let us know from where your information came (website, source, who are you quoting.)

Don't be afraid to ask questions about rules and how-tos. Moderators and administrators are here to help. Long-time members are also good resources.

Keep the attitude down. People who sweep onto the website thinking they know everything, are the smartest people in the room, and have all new, never-been-heard-before ideas are in for a rude awakening...and will probably not last long.

Newbies who try to tell the owner and administrators how wrong everything here is, and how things should "really" be run, will be summarily terminated and will not be missed.

cattyfan
May 29th, 2008, 10:15 AM
No one expects perfection (well, except cattyfan :o)

:noid:

:D

:noid:

hippiechyck
June 1st, 2008, 06:38 PM
compliment all afros :angel:

Knight
June 1st, 2008, 06:49 PM
TIP# 14 (or so): Brown nosing is good.
Tell the TOL staff how smart they are and how nice they look on a daily basis. Say things like, "you convinced me, I now repent." or "I wish I was as good looking as Knight, I now repent of my heresy."

Maximeee
June 1st, 2008, 06:52 PM
Tell the TOL staff how smart they are and how nice they look on a daily basis. Say things like, "you convinced me, I now repent." or "I wish I was as good looking as Knight, I now repent of my heresy."

Or bring Knight muffins. Or just food in general. Or money. :noid:

Ktoyou
June 1st, 2008, 06:54 PM
Do not get that nose out of joint when you are new, just roll with the punches. Figure you can deal with it, play though. :chew:

chickenman
June 1st, 2008, 07:06 PM
I'm feeling compelled to tell the TOL staff how smart they are. And they look so nice, too. You really need to know that you've convinced me, and I now repent. I also wish I was as good looking as Knight. And though it sounds like I'm changing the subject, I'm really not when I say...I now repent of my heresy.

:D

chickenman :chicken:

zoo22
June 1st, 2008, 07:19 PM

That's absolutely amazing. Those are all things that I was just about to say.

Besides wanting to say that you convinced me (I now repent), and that I really wish I was as good looking as Knight and that I now repent of my heresy, and how smart all of the mods are (and might I point out that they all really look great today... Wow! Top notch!), I also wanted to point out how uncanny it is that you're able to know exactly what's on my mind... Incredibly perceptive. I don't know how you do it, but well done (as usual).

nicholsmom
June 1st, 2008, 09:19 PM
People who sweep onto the website thinking they know everything, are the smartest people in the room, and have all new, never-been-heard-before ideas are in for a rude awakening...and will probably not last long.

But I have lasted a few months :chuckle: Maybe only because I have been disavowed of these notions ...

By the way, cattyfan, I love the cool fro-cat :kiss:
(Is my nose brown? I don't have a mirror.)

nicholsmom
June 1st, 2008, 09:31 PM
Eye think spiel checkers are overt rated.

That was an example of my old "beware the tot he" speech I gave advanced composition classes with regard to reliance on software of a mechanical sort. You may have meant to write that you went to the store, but spell check has no problem with you going tot he store, if you follow.

Read and edit your posts before running them up the flag pole, both for content, subject verb agreement and tense errors. No one expects perfection (well, except cattyfan :o) but sloppy writing infers sloppy thinking. If your thought is serious give the expression of it serious attention.
:rotfl: "tot he" I guess I'd better teach my kids to spell for themselves - I thought Mavis Beacon and a good spell checker were all they needed :dunce:

While we are on the subject of serious attention (well, we were...), please give serious attention to reading posts with attention prior to responding. I get seriously tired of repeating myself; I'm a mom & have to put up with that nonsense out of my 3 year old without having to do it here. Just so you won't miss this important point: pay attention! And don't make me come in there :rolleyes:

nicholsmom
June 1st, 2008, 09:35 PM
Here's another jewel for the newbies: don't beat someone with a stick that was made for someone else. Do not assume that a person holds a belief until that person has posted it. I'm pretty sure that this board is full of individuals - not just a bunch of copies of Knight or Cattyfan with different avatars and screen-names.

It's always best to clarify what someone actually believes before trying to beat them over the head with an argument made for someone else's belief.

Oh, and be clear.

Prisca
June 1st, 2008, 09:41 PM
Be honest about your religious and political affiliations. It's nice to know where you're coming from when you make a point.

Frank Ernest
June 2nd, 2008, 06:44 AM
Ahem. I knew this and that is why my "Corporate Fellowshipping" program is successful. Some did not believe, refused to repent and are now :banned: which is the ToL equivalent of Sheol (Strong's H7585) or :burnlib: if one prefers.

The ToL staff are very intelligent folks as well as being nice looking on a daily basis. :bow:

PaulMcNabb
June 2nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
That's absolutely amazing. Those are all things that I was just about to say.

Besides wanting to say that you convinced me (I now repent), and that I really wish I was as good looking as Knight and that I now repent of my heresy, and how smart all of the mods are (and might I point out that they all really look great today... Wow! Top notch!), I also wanted to point out how uncanny it is that you're able to know exactly what's on my mind... Incredibly perceptive. I don't know how you do it, but well done (as usual).
Me too!!

Except I want to be perfectly clear that when I say that Knight is good looking I mean it in a very respectful, manly, non-erotic way and that I'm basing such an opinion on how I imagine beautiful women would respond to his totally manly, masculine looks and that there is not the least hint of any stirring within me that could in any way or in any sense be construed as inappropriate in any biblical sense and that I'm very happily married and that I don't want Pastor Kevin and his goons visiting me and that I really don't like rainbows or the color purple.

:)

Town Heretic
June 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Except I want to be perfectly clear that when I say that Knight is good looking I mean it in a very respectful, manly, non-erotic way...

:think: I'd love to believe this, Paul, but you (and others) appear to spend way too much time on your hair to maintain credibility on point.

And no, this has nothing to do with the fact that I might not be able to figure out how to put more hair on a revolving tiger...none at all...less than that even...

PaulMcNabb
June 2nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
:think: I'd love to believe this, Paul, but you (and others) appear to spend way too much time on your hair to maintain credibility on point.

And no, this has nothing to do with the fact that I might not be able to figure out how to put more hair on a revolving tiger...none at all...less than that even...

And yet your fascination with fluffy stuffed animals as an adult male could make one think... ;)

Town Heretic
June 2nd, 2008, 10:13 AM
And yet your fascination with fluffy stuffed animals as an adult male could make one think... ;)

FLUFFY??!! You are so lucky he's too busy dancing to read that...uh-oh.

Tip to Newbs: don't make fun of a tiger unless you have a really, really big headstart and/or a really large gun. (consolation notes can be forwarded to Mrs.McNabb at any one of several states where body parts will shortly be collected)

fool
June 2nd, 2008, 04:48 PM
Be brief.

Knight
June 2nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Be brief.
That's great advice. TOL is fun because it's a point vs. counter-point dialog instead of essay vs. essay. (which is :yawn: :sleep:)

Tip 16 (or so): DON'T COPY AND PASTE FROM OTHER SOURCES.
TOL is designed for human to human dialog. Referencing other works is fine but for the most part use your own words, make your posts as if you were just talking in person with other folks. Dialog, dialog, dialog.