PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye threads.

Knight
April 5th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Back in the day on TOL we used to have some pretty strict rules about threads and posts where people made their heart-wrenching "I'm leaving TOL forever bla bla bla...." :blabla: speeches. Normally we deleted the thread or post and instantly banned the person who made the post. I never liked goodbye posts (for many obvious reasons and some other reasons that might not be so obvious), I mean really... if you are gonna go... just go! As the years went on we sort of relaxed those rules and in fact stopped enforcing them altogether.

Yet recent events have made me realize why we enforced rules like that. :)

I am not saying we will do that in every case from here on out because every case is different. However, if you plan to make a "goodbye speech" please be prepared to have us help you along your way.

PyramidHead
April 5th, 2008, 07:36 PM
good bye

APRIL FOOLS

koban
April 5th, 2008, 08:02 PM
good bye

Are you leaving or is Knight? :chuckle:

Knight
June 2nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Bump.

koban
June 2nd, 2008, 01:22 PM
Hey!

You're back! :thumb:

CRASH
June 2nd, 2008, 01:59 PM
I think I hold the record for the most entertaining and long running "Goodbye" thread.

Just don't anyone tell Knight, Okay?

[/Shhhhhhh]

Knight
June 2nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
I think I hold the record for the most entertaining and long running "Goodbye" thread.

Just don't anyone tell Knight, Okay?

[/Shhhhhhh]We grant you a special dispensation. :D

CRASH
June 2nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
OKAY! Who told him!!!:box: :box:

CRASH
June 2nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
We grant you a special dispensation. :D

The checks in the mail. :D

koban
June 3rd, 2008, 01:35 AM
Goodbye! :wave:

Frank Ernest
June 3rd, 2008, 05:51 AM
Back in the day on TOL we used to have some pretty strict rules about threads and posts where people made their heart-wrenching "I'm leaving TOL forever bla bla bla...." :blabla: speeches. Normally we deleted the thread or post and instantly banned the person who made the post. I never liked goodbye posts (for many obvious reasons and some other reasons that might not be so obvious), I mean really... if you are gonna go... just go! As the years went on we sort of relaxed those rules and in fact stopped enforcing them altogether.

Yet recent events have made me realize why we enforced rules like that. :)

I am not saying we will do that in every case from here on out because every case is different. However, if you plan to make a "goodbye speech" please be prepared to have us help you along your way.
Some of them were comedy classics. In comedy studies of Abbott and Costello (ask your grandfather) and Victimology, they'd be near the top. Others were simply tedious and repetitious, really snoresville.

I freely admit experiencing a nefarious glee over some. Seeing a Swan Song thread startup would get the poster on my ToL Suicide Watch List. And then would come the inevitable magic Day of Recompense. I would sign on, go to the thread (with my heart pounding) and see the OP with the poster's screen name emblazoned in red letters. Same fate as the Light Brigade (q.v. Alfred, Lord Tennyson) and for the same reasons.

ok doser
July 11th, 2017, 08:27 PM
Awww - no fair

Frank really said goodbye :(