calling Pope Father.. Jesus used term "Father Abraham"

republicanchick

Why the big deal over...

again: WORDS.

The liberals are into words (as opposed to substance.. as opposed to ACTION against the evils in the world)

example: "racist!" (every time conservative persons says something liberal doesn't like..)

etc

The anti-Catholics make a HUGE deal out of .. words

namely: calling the Pope Father..

but Jesus used term "Father Abraham" in a parable

and there are other instances in the Bible of "mere men" being called Father b/c they had authority..

In the end, words are just words... True, words have some level of power (depending...) but Come on... Let's attack some REAL problems..

_

chair

I don't know what you are referring to, but you may find it interesting that we, till this day, refer to Abraham as "Our father Abraham". Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are called "the Fathers". Sometimes Jacob is referred to as "Grandfather Jacob" (I don't know why).

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Why the big deal over...

The liberals are into words (as opposed to substance.. as opposed to ACTION against the evils in the world)

example: "racist!" (every time conservative persons says something liberal doesn't like..)

etc

and there are other instances in the Bible of "mere men" being called Father b/c they had authority..

In the end, words are just words... True, words have some level of power (depending...) but Come on... Let's attack some REAL problems..

_

Jesus used words to communicate with us. Given that Jesus is our Lord and Savior, do you really think it wise to ignore His words?

OCTOBER23

ABRAHAM IS OUR PHYSICAL FATHER BUT THE POPE IS NOT....

Don't call anyone RABBI - TEACHER because you have one Teacher Christ

Don't call anyone Father because you have one Father in Heaven.

Don't call anyone POPE - father because

you are NOT SUPPOSED TO WORSHIP A MAN ON EARTH TODAY.

Cruciform

Jesus used words to communicate with us. Given that Jesus is our Lord and Savior, do you really think it wise to ignore His words?
Jesus used words to communicate with us. Given that Jesus is our Lord and Savior, do you really think it wise to deliberately misinterpret and misapply His words? :think:

See this.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

OCTOBER23

CRUCIFORM IS RIGHT,

Jesus was making the point that God the Father is the ultimate source of all authority.

He said this during the course of rebuking the Pharisees for spiritual pride (Mt 23:2-10).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JESUS was making the point that we should not follow those in Authority who do NOT

Obey God but only make a show of supposed Righteousness just like the Catholics

while at the same time breaking the LAW and statutes.

Catholic example:

Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman,

both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death;

their blood shall be upon them.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't know what you are referring to, but you may find it interesting that we, till this day, refer to Abraham as "Our father Abraham". Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are called "the Fathers". Sometimes Jacob is referred to as "Grandfather Jacob" (I don't know why).

Our point is that the Pope is not a representative of God and he is nobody's father in the way the RCC means it. That is why she is complaining.

chair

Our point is that the Pope is not a representative of God and he is nobody's father in the way the RCC means it. That is why she is complaining.

Oh, I wouldn't attach too much importance to titles of this sort.

Cruciform

Our point is that the Pope is not a representative of God and he is nobody's father in the way the RCC means it.
...according to the entirely non-authoritative opinions of your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway. :yawn:

God's Truth

Why the big deal over...

etc

_

Jesus IS THE WORD.

Don't you understand that is important?

God's Truth

Words are important.

Jesus IS the Word of God.

That means what Jesus says is life.

Jesus says we are to do certain things, and that we are not to do certain things...

That is Spirit and life.

You have to obey exactly what Jesus says. If you do not, then you are subtracting from God's words. If you add, then you are adding to God's Word. Both those things are sin.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
according to the entirely non-authoritative opinions of your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic

The apostle Paul speaks on authority from the Lord Jesus Christ. You blaspheme our Lord with your idiot comments.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Jesus used words to communicate with us. Given that Jesus is our Lord and Savior, do you really think it wise to deliberately misinterpret and misapply His words? :think:

See this.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
I leave the misinterpretation to your sect of Christianity. They are the only ones to whom no actually means yes.

Last edited:

kayaker

Do you think the Popes make donations to a Vatican sperm bank? I suppose that'd be one way to procreate and circumvent the no hanky-panky rule, think?

Cruciform

I leave the misinterpretation...
Unfortunately, since your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect is decidedly not that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself---and whose opinions therefore carry no binding doctrinal authority whatsoever---it's opinion about what is and is not a "misinterpretation" likewise carries no weight at all.

...to your sect of Christianity.
You've already been categorically refuted on this claim on another thread. Here, I'll post it again:
CM apparently cannot mentally grasp the fact that the Catholic Church is neither "man-made" (since, having been founded by Jesus Christ himself, it was not established by any mere man), nor a "sect" (since, as the original Church founded by Jesus Christ, it cannot possibly have broken away from any prior church). Thus, CM's terminology here is fundamentally irrational and essentially meaningless, somewhat like referring to a "married bachelor" or a "purple idea."

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Unfortunately, since your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect is decidedly not that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself---and whose opinions therefore carry no binding doctrinal authority whatsoever---it's opinion about what is and is not a "misinterpretation" likewise carries no weight at all.

You've already been categorically refuted on this claim on another thread. Here, I'll post it again:
CM apparently cannot mentally grasp the fact that the Catholic Church is neither "man-made" (since, having been founded by Jesus Christ himself, it was not established by any mere man), nor a "sect" (since, as the original Church founded by Jesus Christ, it cannot possibly have broken away from any prior church). Thus, CM's terminology here is fundamentally irrational and essentially meaningless, somewhat like referring to a "married bachelor" or a "purple idea."

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Based on your response I now that you do not dispute that the RCC willingly interprets scripture such that no means yes. Thank you for your honesty.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Matthew 23:9 New King James Version (NKJV)

9 Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.