PDA

View Full Version : TOL Subscription Contest

ebenz47037
April 14th, 2007, 11:09 AM
TOL Gift Subscription Contest

There are those who cannot afford to purchase a subscription on TOL; there is an offer to purchase a gift subscription for those who cannot. There will be one winner.

Requirements -

- The contestant does not already have a paid subscription
- The contestant basically cannot afford a paid subscription. No need to explain, there has to be some trust.
- The contestant MUST be a regular participating TOLer.
- The contestant has declared their Religious and Political Spectrum in their user cp.

The Catch -

The contestant is told that in twenty-four hours and their life will be over, what would they do?

There are the usual pat answers, you know, soul winning, help the homeless, all those Christian niceties, even some of the non-Christian TOLer‘s are civil and giving.

The contestants answer must be truthful, and must be possible, but not trite or mocking. The last hour can be very critical or crucial, and if the last hour is addressed, it should be answered in the same manner, truthful, and must be possible, but not mocking or trite. We are seeking a well thought possibly detailed description of what their last day would entail.

There is no key-pattern answer, other than from the heart.

The winning entry is worth a one year Bronze TOL subscription, that Psalmist will pay for.

The judges: TOL Admin’s, and mods.

The time frame for posting: It will begin on Sunday, April 15, and be open for seven days; CLOSE with three days for judges to decide; one day to notify the Psalmist; the winning entry subscription will be paid for within three days.

***Note from Admin/Moderators:

Those who respond to posts via “Quote” or “Reply” of participants for the "24 Hour Scenario" should avoid mockery, insults, ridicule, etc. Any replies that are off-topic will be deleted from this thread. If someone posts just to mock, insult, ridicule, etc., they will be warned one time to stop. If they persist in doing it, they will be banned for three days, no questions asked.

ebenz47037
April 14th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Don't start submitting entries until tomorrow, April 15. This should be a fun way to get to know some of our members too. This kind of writing assignment can be very telling about one's personality. :D

ebenz47037
April 15th, 2007, 09:06 PM
bump

Redfin
April 15th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Is that the sound of aspiring "Bronzies" writing I hear? :chrysost:

Good luck to all the contestants! :thumb:

Minerva
April 16th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Wow, that's cool of Psalmist to pay for the winners subscription....:up:

Good luck people! :jazz:

CabinetMaker
April 17th, 2007, 09:15 AM
24 Hours left to live. What would I do?
<o></o>
I would spend most of it with my family. My two children are young and they will find in difficult to understand why God took their Daddy away from them. I would spend time with them to help them understand that we live in a fallen world, that bad things happen and we can’t always explain why. I would spend time with them to help them understand that even when Daddy is not there, Jesus is. I would teach them that if we are faithful to God, God is faithful to us and He will turn all things towards our good. I would want them to know that they can trust Jesus and God and the Holy Spirit because they love them more than Daddy ever could.
<o></o>
I would spend time with my wife. Her medical history has left her weekend and now she will become a single mother. I would help her make some plans on how to manage the life insurance and the monthly bills because, like it or not, life will go on for them. I would want to try to remove as much of the stress over money as I could for her. Less stress is better health. I would make sure she understands the same lessons I want to share with my children. It can be so hard to find God when you feel like God is punishing you. I want her to know that that is not the case. God loves her and will take care of her.
<o></o>
I would spend some time with my parents to say good bye and thank you. I would say good bye to friends and to members of our church. I would want them all to know that, though I am sad about dying, I am not afraid. I trust God, Jesus is my Lord and Savior and I trust Him.
<o></o>
24 hours is not a long time. If I could spend that time helping people to understand that God can be trusted, that God will be there when I am not, then maybe, just maybe, the hearts of my loved ones will remain open to God. For far too often, grief closes our hearts to the one Person who can truly do something with that grief.
<o></o>
In the last hour, where would I be? I don’t know. I would want people to remember me when I was alive and smiling and making bad puns. I don’t think I would want my family around me watching me die. If that would be their wish then I would be with them. A final prayer would be for God to watch over and bless my family. They will need Him close in the next several weeks to carry them through their grief.
<o></o>
{Notice: CabinetMaker was disqualified from this contest as it was found that he has money available but that he is a tight wad. CabinetMaker’s entry was in violation rule 2 regarding his ability to afford a subscription.}

unspoken
April 17th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Mine's kinda short, I get really excited about dying and I try not to rant too much about it. I'd like to mention that I do not seem to be a woman of action, but I think this is what I'd really do and you can tell by the awful writing that it's personal:

If I'd had a Divine revelation that I was going to die in twenty-four hours, I'd probably go and raise money for that crisis pregnancy centre that I'm supposed to be raising money for but am too much of a chicken to talk to people about. Honestly, I'd probably tell everyone I knew that I was going to die in twenty-four hours, maybe witness a little to the friends I have who aren't Christians. I'd apologize to my family for being such a brat all the time. I'd go for a walk in the woods, admiring God's wonderful creation and thinking about the people I'm leaving behind. After that, I'd drive into the city and find of those beautiful old cathedrals I know are lurking around. Settling down in the pew, I'd spend the rest of my time contemplating the fact that I was going to die and what that means: the adventure of actually dieing, the shift from a physical realm into the spiritual, the experience of eternity and finally getting to see God. I might sing, voices sound so beautiful in cathedrals, I like to sing and I'm good at it. I'd probably smirk at the irony that I planned my whole life and won't get to live any of it. I'd probably be kind of upset that I'm about to die so young, but dieing is such and awesome thing, I couldn't be too mad at God. I'd think about how I've pretty much wasted my life being worried about things that don't matter. I'd proably spend a lot of time praying and repenting and talking to God, since pretty soon I'm gonna have to give an account of myself to Him. When the twenty-four hours were up, I'd die the happiest person... alive?

papabryant
April 17th, 2007, 09:12 PM
24 hours to live?

I'd pray.

I admit, that prayer would probably be a little self centered at times. I have three children after all and "Lord, they need their daddy." But somewhere in that time I would simply pray for my wife and kids to have the Lord's grace and protection, should my pleas to live be drown out by God's call to come Home.

Raising kids is hard, and when two of your children have special needs, even two parents working together can find it overwhelming. Add to the normal sibling rivalries and skinned-up knees the yearly lawsuit threat we have to give the school board over "their responsibility under the American's With Disabilities Act to provide adequate resources for children with Aspberger's Syndrome, yadda yadda...", and the emotional needs of children who are smart but have trouble controling their emotions. My wife would have to do all that alone.

My prayer would be that she could, but wouldn't have to.

My kids. There's my proof for the existance of God. They are the reason for my existance. Everything else is simply decoration. I would pray for their happiness. Life has been hard for them. I would also pray for their salvation. Knowing the God who loves them even more than their Daddy does would be a source of happiness in their lives. It has been in mine.

That is how I would spend my last day on Earth. On my knees before my King, knowing that time seems to move faster when spent in meaningful prayer. And whatever His final decision about my time on Earth is, I trust that in the end He will be there. Even if I'm not.

ebenz47037
April 17th, 2007, 09:25 PM
So far, so good. Very good stories/essays so far. This may end up being a difficult contest to judge, fellow mods.

ebenz47037
April 19th, 2007, 03:46 PM
If anybody else wants to enter the contest, you have until Saturday evening. I will let you know what time sometime Saturday.

Psalmist
April 21st, 2007, 05:50 AM
<o></o>
I would spend most of it with my family. My two children are young and they will find in difficult to understand why God took their Daddy away from them. I would spend time with them to help them understand that we live in a fallen world, that bad things happen and we can’t always explain why. I would spend time with them to help them understand that even when Daddy is not there, Jesus is. I would teach them that if we are faithful to God, God is faithful to us and He will turn all things towards our good. I would want them to know that they can trust Jesus and God and the Holy Spirit because they love them more than Daddy ever could.
<o></o>
I would spend time with my wife. Her medical history has left her weekend and now she will become a single mother. I would help her make some plans on how to manage the life insurance and the monthly bills because, like it or not, life will go on for them. I would want to try to remove as much of the stress over money as I could for her. Less stress is better health. I would make sure she understands the same lessons I want to share with my children. It can be so hard to find God when you feel like God is punishing you. I want her to know that that is not the case. God loves her and will take care of her.
<o></o>
I would spend some time with my parents to say good bye and thank you. I would say good bye to friends and to members of our church. I would want them all to know that, though I am sad about dying, I am not afraid. I trust God, Jesus is my Lord and Savior and I trust Him.
<o></o>
24 hours is not a long time. If I could spend that time helping people to understand that God can be trusted, that God will be there when I am not, then maybe, just maybe, the hearts of my loved ones will remain open to God. For far too often, grief closes our hearts to the one Person who can truly do something with that grief.
<o></o>
In the last hour, where would I be? I don’t know. I would want people to remember me when I was alive and smiling and making bad puns. I don’t think I would want my family around me watching me die. If that would be their wish then I would be with them. A final prayer would be for God to watch over and bless my family. They will need Him close in the next several weeks to carry them through their grief.
<o></o>
{Notice: CabinetMaker was disqualified from this contest as it was found that he has money available but that he is a tight wad. CabinetMaker’s entry was in violation rule 2 regarding his ability to afford a subscription.}

Though Cabinetmaker was disqualified - I read through Cabinetmakers piece; Cabinetmaker I trust you do not mind, with a bit of editing here is what I came away with . . .

CabinetMaker,

My two children,

I would teach them that if we are faithful to God, God is faithful to us and He will turn all things towards our good.
I would want them to know that they can trust Jesus and God and the Holy Spirit

My wife,

I would help her make some plans on how to manage like it or not, life will go on for them.
I want her to know . . . God loves her and will take care of her.

My parents,

I would want them all to know that, I trust God, Jesus is my Lord and Savior and I trust Him.

24 hours is not a long time,

I could spend that time helping people to understand that God can be trusted.

In the last hour, where would I be?

I don’t know.
A final prayer would be for God to watch over and bless my family.
They will need Him close.

I believe that Cabinetmaker is showing and teaching others to care.

- 30 -

:Poly:. . .:Nineveh:

Psalmist
April 21st, 2007, 07:13 AM
Mine's kinda short, I get really excited about dying and I try not to rant too much about it. I'd like to mention that I do not seem to be a woman of action, but I think this is what I'd really do and you can tell by the awful writing that it's personal:

If I'd had a Divine revelation that I was going to die in twenty-four hours, I'd probably go and raise money for that crisis pregnancy centre that I'm supposed to be raising money for but am too much of a chicken to talk to people about. Honestly, I'd probably tell everyone I knew that I was going to die in twenty-four hours, maybe witness a little to the friends I have who aren't Christians. I'd apologize to my family for being such a brat all the time. I'd go for a walk in the woods, admiring God's wonderful creation and thinking about the people I'm leaving behind. After that, I'd drive into the city and find of those beautiful old cathedrals I know are lurking around. Settling down in the pew, I'd spend the rest of my time contemplating the fact that I was going to die and what that means: the adventure of actually dieing, the shift from a physical realm into the spiritual, the experience of eternity and finally getting to see God. I might sing, voices sound so beautiful in cathedrals, I like to sing and I'm good at it. I'd probably smirk at the irony that I planned my whole life and won't get to live any of it. I'd probably be kind of upset that I'm about to die so young, but dieing is such and awesome thing, I couldn't be too mad at God. I'd think about how I've pretty much wasted my life being worried about things that don't matter. I'd proably spend a lot of time praying and repenting and talking to God, since pretty soon I'm gonna have to give an account of myself to Him. When the twenty-four hours were up, I'd die the happiest person... alive?

Then I read through unspoken piece; unspoken I hope you too do not mind, with a bit of editing here is what I came away with . . .

unspoken -

Mine's kind of short, but I think this is what I'd really do, and you can tell by the awful writing that it's personal . . . If I'd had a Divine revelation that I was going to die -

I'd, go and raise money for that crisis pregnancy centre . . .

Honestly,

I'd, witness to the friends I have who aren't Christians.
I'd apologize to my family for being such a brat all the time.
I'd go for a walk . . . admiring God's wonderful creation and the people I'm leaving behind.

After that,

I'd drive into the city and find of those beautiful old cathedrals.
Settling down in the pew, I'd spend the rest of my time contemplating . . .
the experience of eternity and finally getting to see God.

I might sing, I like to sing and I'm good at it.

I'd think about how I've . . . worried about things that don't matter.

I'd probably spend a lot of time praying and repenting and talking to God,
since I'm going to have to give an account of myself to Him.

When the twenty-four hours were up, I'd die the happiest person . . .

Marvelous, before it is over, follow-through on the pregnancy center, witness to friends, apologize for past wrongs, walk with God admiring His handiwork, settle down and contemplate eternity with God, and sing because I like to - Sounds like time well spent.

- 30 -

Psalmist
April 21st, 2007, 11:06 AM
24 hours to live?

I'd pray.

I admit, that prayer would probably be a little self centered at times. I have three children after all and "Lord, they need their daddy." But somewhere in that time I would simply pray for my wife and kids to have the Lord's grace and protection, should my pleas to live be drown out by God's call to come Home.

Raising kids is hard, and when two of your children have special needs, even two parents working together can find it overwhelming. Add to the normal sibling rivalries and skinned-up knees the yearly lawsuit threat we have to give the school board over "their responsibility under the American's With Disabilities Act to provide adequate resources for children with Aspberger's Syndrome, yadda yadda...", and the emotional needs of children who are smart but have trouble controling their emotions. My wife would have to do all that alone.

My prayer would be that she could, but wouldn't have to.

My kids. There's my proof for the existance of God. They are the reason for my existance. Everything else is simply decoration. I would pray for their happiness. Life has been hard for them. I would also pray for their salvation. Knowing the God who loves them even more than their Daddy does would be a source of happiness in their lives. It has been in mine.

That is how I would spend my last day on Earth. On my knees before my King, knowing that time seems to move faster when spent in meaningful prayer. And whatever His final decision about my time on Earth is, I trust that in the end He will be there. Even if I'm not.

Then I read through papabryant’s piece; papabryant I hope you also do not mind, with a bit of editing here is what I came away with . . .

papabryant -

24 hours to live?

I'd pray, I admit, that prayer would probably be a little self centered at times.

I have three children . . . and "Lord, they need their daddy."

But somewhere in that time I would simply pray for my wife and kids to have the Lord's grace and protection.

Raising kids is hard . . . Two have special needs, and for two parents working together can find it overwhelming. Add sibling rivalries . . . skinned-up knees . . . Threat’s we give the school board over "Their responsibility" under the "American's With Disabilities Act” to provide adequate resources for children with Aspberger's Syndrome . . . And the emotional needs of children who are smart but have trouble controlling their emotions.

My wife would have to do all that alone. My prayer would be that she could, but wouldn't have to.

My kids,

There's my proof for the existence of God. They are the reason for my existence. Everything else is simply decoration.

I would pray for their happiness. Life has been hard for them. I would also pray for their salvation. Knowing the God who loves them . . . would be a source of happiness in their lives. It has been in mine.

That is how I would spend my last day on earth, on my knees before my King, knowing that time seems to move faster when spent in meaningful prayer. And whatever His final decision . . . I trust that in the end He will be there. Even if I'm not.

Here is a man I see who deeply loves God, his wife, and children, and in spite of all the overwhelming hardships at times, he sees down the corridor of this life and past the vale of time, God, and who will trust in God in his last 24 hours.

Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus . . . Endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. Tim. 2:1, 3

- 30 -

ebenz47037
April 21st, 2007, 11:56 AM
Contest is now closed for judging. Thanks for participating! I will announce the winner within the next three days.

ebenz47037
April 24th, 2007, 06:56 AM
The winner of the TOL Subscription Contest is unspoken!

Congratulations, unspoken! You should have your subscription taken care of within the next few days. Thank you to everyone who entered. :)

Granite
April 24th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Blast, I totally missed this!:doh:

ebenz47037
April 24th, 2007, 08:53 AM
I tried to keep it bumped up for everyone, Granite.

Granite
April 24th, 2007, 09:47 AM
No problemo, totally my oversight.:cheers:

Redfin
April 24th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Congratulations, unspoken! You should have your subscription taken care of within the next few days. Thank you to everyone who entered. :)

Way to go, unspoken! :thumb:

Welcome to the "Gifted-Subscriber's Club" :first:

:cheers:

Knight
April 24th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Congrats to unspoken! Your subscription is active.

I really enjoyed all the entries.

Thanks to psalmist and Nori for making this possible. :up:

Psalmist
April 24th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Congratulations, unspoken! Thank you to everyone who entered. :)

Congratulations to unspoken . . . :jump: :BRAVO: :backflip: :jessilu: :emarie:

- 30 -

Psalmist

:Poly:. . :Nineveh:

papabryant
May 7th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Congrats to unspoken!