Looking for coffee suggestions

musterion

Last year I had to switch to Kava low acid instant due to stomach problems. Those have now ceased but I've developed a taste for this instant stuff, which ounce for ounce is horribly expensive. I've heard there are low acid ground coffees available but the reviews I've seen on them are mixed as far as whether the low acid claims are true or not.

Has anyone tried a low acid coffee that seems truly low acid? Not low bitterness...that can be part of the flavor profile. Any suggestions are most welcome.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Last year I had to switch to Kava low acid instant due to stomach problems. Those have now ceased but I've developed a taste for this instant stuff, which ounce for ounce is horribly expensive. I've heard there are low acid ground coffees available but the reviews I've seen on them are mixed as far as whether the low acid claims are true or not.

Has anyone tried a low acid coffee that seems truly low acid? Not low bitterness...that can be part of the flavor profile. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Wish I could help you out there, I am addicted to Peet's coffees and have been for a long time. I hope you find something that you can live with but, I do know the darker roasts tend to be less acidic. From what I have read on the subject Central American & West African coffees have a lot of acid due to climates that they are grown, for flavor and low acidity go with an arabian bean dark roasted and brew with lower heat as heat promotes acidity. Are you sure it is acid and not caffeine that is your stomach issue?

musterion

Are you sure it is acid and not caffeine that is your stomach issue?

Good question. Kava is not reduced caffeine but gives me no problems at all. The trouble hit toward the end of the work season last year when me and the others were guzzling some deliberately heavy brewed sludge. So I do think it's acidity.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Good question. Kava is not reduced caffeine but gives me no problems at all. The trouble hit toward the end of the work season last year when me and the others were guzzling some deliberately heavy brewed sludge. So I do think it's acidity.

Hmmmm, I cannot drink coffee from starbucks because it is over-roasted & very acidic IMO. If you have not tried any Peet's coffees I would suggest the "Major Dickinsons Blend" it is perfectly roasted, low acid flavor, though I do not have an issue with acid to say it is in fact a low acid coffee but, I would recommend it.

musterion

Hmmmm, I cannot drink coffee from starbucks because it is over-roasted & very acidic IMO.

Absolutely; I never could stand Starblech's even before this issue cropped up.

If you have not tried any Peet's coffees I would suggest the "Major Dickinsons Blend" it is perfectly roasted, low acid flavor, though I do not have an issue with acid to say it is in fact a low acid coffee but, I would recommend it.
Is it something found in most stores, or would I have to order it? The wife has been drinking Folger's Gourmet Supreme, which I used to like a lot. That's the extent of our coffee aisle knowledge.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Absolutely; I never could stand Starblech's even before this issue cropped up.

Not a big fan either...

Is it something found in most stores, or would I have to order it? The wife has been drinking Folger's Gourmet Supreme, which I used to like a lot. That's the extent of our coffee aisle knowledge.

Peet's has been around for a long time, longer than Starbucks, they started up in Berkley, CA. It used to be a mail order thing in the 90's but, since then they have expanded around CA and there are a lot of stores. They are also selling it in the grocery stores around here and it can still be mail ordered if you cannot find it around you. It is worth a try and if your willing to spend a little more try the Arabian Mocha Java or Arabian Mocha Sanani both of which are dark roast but, so mellow, low acid, very low bitterness just an amazing cup of coffee, the Mocha Java almost tastes like there is chocolate in it. My wife usually buys this for me as a gift on occasion but, it is expensive at about $15+/pound depending on availability.

http://www.peets.com

musterion

Rich (dark is fine, even a little bitterish), mellow and smooth is what I like. I'll be on the lookout for these.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Rich (dark is fine, even a little bitterish), mellow and smooth is what I like. I'll be on the lookout for these.

The Arabian Mocha Java & Sanani will not be in grocery stores you have to go to a Peet's store or mail order for that but, the Major Dickinsons Blend will be in the grocery store and I believe you will be able to enjoy it's flavor and low acidity. Good Luck! :D