Enter Saint

EnterSaint

:dog:

I'd like to lead with "I can't wait to use these incredibly specific smilieys.

Beyond that, I am 22 and, in May, am graduating from the University of Texas where I'm studying English and Religious Studies.

This forum looked interesting, but after reading a few threads, I'm hoping there is some more intelligent discussion and less name calling. I'll be really disappointed if this is like every other internet forum and lacks the common courtesy Christians should be showing.

But that's simply my initial response and is based on very limited experience with this forum.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Beyond that, I am 22 and, in May, am graduating from the University of Texas where I'm studying English and Religious Studies.

This forum looked interesting, but after reading a few threads, I'm hoping there is some more intelligent discussion and less name calling. I'll be really disappointed if this is like every other internet forum and lacks the common courtesy Christians should be showing.

But that's simply my initial response and is based on very limited experience with this forum.

Welcome to TOL! One of the first things that most people learn here is to grow a thicker skin. There will be some topics that will get the worst reactions, just as there will be some topics that will get the best reactions. Which reaction is best/worst for you depends solely on you. :)

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

Welcome back :)

EnterSaint

Welcome to TOL! One of the first things that most people learn here is to grow a thicker skin. There will be some topics that will get the worst reactions, just as there will be some topics that will get the best reactions. Which reaction is best/worst for you depends solely on you. :)

By no means do I have thin skin; there is nothing that offends me.
However, I hope such responses are out of the norm and that better responses are in store.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

What is known as Lashon Hara--yes there is a lot of that on here. I am from a Messianic background myself. If you stick around and look, you will find intelligent Theological discussion. The theology club is such a place, where no name calling is allowed. You have the request to join the club by going into your user CP at the upper left hand corner and click group memberships. From there you can request to join the Theology Club.

Dena

Welcome to TOL. I'll just get my first question out of the way. Were you born to a Jewish mother, converted to Judaism and later become a Christian or do you use that label because you consider yourself a part of the Messianic movement of Christians?

rainee

Well, Dena
It looks like you did it again!

Are you going to scare off every Messianic that comes here?

And Hi Saint!

Please allow me also to get my hopes out of the way since Dena can hardly wait to ask her questions, ahem...

My hope is gentiles will stay true to the Lord and continue growing as Gentile Believers even if all of Israel comes to the Lord today.

Dena

Well, Dena
It looks like you did it again!

Are you going to scare off every Messianic that comes here?

He said he had a thick skin. All I asked is if he is actually Jewish or if he's just Messianic. It's a fair and valid question. If he was born Jewish it will not compare to the questions he's probably been asked like "who are your parents, where did you go to school, what shul do you attend, who are you grandparents, do you know so and so who just happens to be Jewish like you?"

My question is actually pretty simple.

rainee

Ps Saint - I was teasing Dena :) I hope you sensed that.
She hasn't run any one off

(I may need a joking sign so others can know when to enjoy my humor)

rainee

He said he had a thick skin. All I asked is if he is actually Jewish or if he's just Messianic. It's a fair and valid question. If he was born Jewish it will not compare to the questions he's probably been asked like "who are your parents, where did you go to school, what shul do you attend, who are you grandparents, do you know so and so who just happens to be Jewish like you?"

My question is actually pretty simple.

EeeKK!

Now you really are going to scare em off!

rainee

Here something ethnic :eek: :

Remember the old-time Jewish comedians of Vaudeville days - Shecky Green, Red Buttons, Totie Fields, Milton Berle, Henny Youngman, and others? You may have only heard of them, but don't we all miss their kind of humor? Not a single swear word in their comic routines:

* A car hit an elderly Jewish man. The paramedic says, "Are you comfortable? " The man says, "I make a good living."

* I just got back from a pleasure trip. I took my mother-in-law to the airport.

* I've been in love with the same woman for 49 years. If my wife finds out, she'll kill me!

* Someone stole all my credit cards, but I won't be reporting it. The thief spends less than my wife did.

* We always hold hands. If I let go, she shops.

* My wife and I went to a hotel where we got a waterbed. My wife calls it the Dead Sea .

* My wife and I revisited the hotel where we spent our wedding night. This time I was the one who stayed in the bathroom and cried.

* My Wife was at the beauty shop for two hours. That was only for the estimate. She got a mudpack and looked great for two days. Then the mud fell off.

* The Doctor gave a man six months to live. The man couldn't pay his bill, so the doctor gave him another six months.

* The Doctor called Mrs. Cohen saying, "Mrs. Cohen, your check came back." Mrs. Cohen replied, "So did my arthritis!"

* Doctor: "You'll live to be 60!" Patient: "I AM 60!" Doctor: "See! What did I tell you?"

* A doctor held a stethoscope up to a man's chest. The man asks, "Doc, how do I stand?" The doctor says, "That's what puzzles me!"

* Patient: "I have a ringing in my ears." Doctor: "Don't answer!"

* A drunk was in front of a judge. The judge says, "You've been brought here for drinking." The drunk says, "Okay, let's get started."

*Why do Jewish divorces cost so much? They're worth it.

* Why do Jewish men die before their wives? They want to.

*The Harvard School of Medicine did a study of why Jewish women like Chinese food so much. The study revealed that the reason for this is because Won Ton spelled backward is Not Now. There is a big controversy on the Jewish view of when life begins. In Jewish tradition, the fetus is not considered viable until it graduates from law school.

Q: Why don't Jewish mothers drink?

A: Alcohol interferes with their suffering.

*Q: Have you seen the newest Jewish-American-Princess horror movie?

A: It's called, "Debbie Does Dishes."

*Q: Why do Jewish mothers make great parole officers?

A: They never let anyone finish a sentence.

*A man called his mother in Florida. "Mom, how are you?" Not too good," said the mother. "I've been very weak." The son said, "Why are you so weak?" She said, "Because I haven't eaten in 38 days." The son said, "That's terrible. Why haven't you eaten in 38 days?" The mother answered, "Because, I didn't want my mouth to be full in case you should call."

*A Jewish man said that when he was growing up, they always had two choices for dinner - Take it or leave it.

*A Jewish boy comes home from school and tells his mother he has a part in the play. She asks, "What part is it?" The boy says, "I play the part of the Jewish husband." The mother scowls and says, "Go back and tell the teacher you want a speaking part."

Q: Where does a Jewish husband hide money from his wife?

A: Under the vacuum cleaner.

Q: How many Jewish mothers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: (Sigh) "Don't bother. I'll sit in the dark. I don't want to be a nuisance to anybody."

Short summary of every Jewish holiday: They tried to kill us, we won, let's eat.

A Jewish mother gives her son a blue shirt and a brown shirt for his birthday. On the next visit, he wears the brown one. The mother says, "What's the matter already? Didn't you like the blue one?"

Did you hear about the bum who walked up to a Jewish mother on the street and said, "Lady I haven't eaten in three days." "Force yourself," she replied.

Q: What's the difference between a Rottweiler and a Jewish mother?

A: Eventually, the Rottweiler lets go.

Q: Why are Jewish Men circumcised?

A: Because Jewish women don't like anything that isn't 20% off.

Dena

EeeKK!

Now you really are going to scare em off!

It's Jewish Geography. It's not scary. Neither is being asked by a non-Jew if you know Menachem Jones because he's Jewish, you're Jewish and you both live in the same state so clearly you must know each other. :chuckle:

EnterSaint

No, I have no Jewish lineage. Truth be told, calling myself a Messianic Jew is a bit misleading, but in a multiple choice list, it is the closest to my personal beliefs because it is, what I believe, to be the closest to Christianity as Jesus meant it. The Protestant churches today (I am not an expert on any other kinds) have a tendency to separate Judaism from Christianity which I do not believe was Jesus' intention. That's why I claim to be a Messianic Jew rather than any sort of protestant, Catholic, or orthodoxy.

To the question of why I'm studying religion in school, because I want to understand what secular scholars have to say about religion and the Bible. Separated from the religious doctrine and dogma that has permeated the organized church and what pastors and Bible-teachers learn at their seminaries, doctrine and dogma with which I am already well acquainted. There is the added benefit that I am good at it, but I'd be doing it even if I wasn't because I find religion an interesting and worthwhile area of study.

EnterSaint

What is known as Lashon Hara--yes there is a lot of that on here.
Which I'd be completely alright with if not for the fact that everyone claims they are right and who is to say that I'm the one who's correct? Maybe I'm the one who is wrong.

The theology club is such a place, where no name calling is allowed. You have the request to join the club by going into your user CP at the upper left hand corner and click group memberships. From there you can request to join the Theology Club.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely look into it.

Dena

No, I have no Jewish lineage. Truth be told, calling myself a Messianic Jew is a bit misleading, but in a multiple choice list, it is the closest to my personal beliefs because it is, what I believe, to be the closest to Christianity as Jesus meant it.

Yeah, that is one of the problems with the choices on this site. There are only a few options or you can use "other" which most people probably don't like to do. I will tell you the same thing I've told others who use the label. It's dishonest. People will assume you are a Jew and you are not. I understand there is a whole world of non-Jews involved in the Messianic movement but the general public still believes that when you call yourself a Messianic Jew, you are actually a Jew who believes in Jesus as your messiah. So when you use the term your misrepresent Jews and Non-Jews. Just putting that out there for you to think about.

The Protestant churches today (I am not an expert on any other kinds) have a tendency to separate Judaism from Christianity which I do not believe was Jesus' intention. That's why I claim to be a Messianic Jew rather than any sort of protestant, Catholic, or orthodoxy.

Christianity and Judaism are two very different things. Either Jesus was a religious Jew or he wasn't. If he was then I would think he'd be appalled at Christians worshiping him and coming up with some new religion. If he wasn't...well...then I don't know. Maybe he wouldn't care but it'd make little sense to involve yourself in Judaism if that were the case.

I guess what I'm saying is, pick one. :rotfl:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame

Welcome to TOL and prepare to be a bit disappointed. Sorry, but TOL is bit on the rough and tumble side. Which keeps it entertaining.