toldailytopic: Do you think we should attempt to colonize space?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 11th, 2012 11:30 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

OMEGA

We will eventually Colonize all of Space but not as Physical Beings.

The Universe is too big for God to waste His Time creating Angel after Angel.

God wants Mass Production of Spirit Beings who have Developed Godly Character.

God does not want another Rebellious Angel like Satan to Make a Mess of
another Solar System like he did with this one .

We are the Vanguard of a New Race of Beings that will Manage the Universe.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

I don't think it's necessary. And even if we decided to we'd have to find someplace we could terraform first, and then we'd have to build domes and systems for pumping in oxygen, etc.

But if we found a planet that was like Earth then we wouldn't have to worry about that stuff, but how likely is that? Even if it's out there it's so far away no one would live long enough to make it; we'd have to have a big enough ship where enough people could live on it, and propagate, bringing forth generations born in space and how would we guarantee they would follow the mission by the time we got to the point where we might actually find that planet?

Alate_One

Assuming we're allowed to persist long enough for the earth to start to degrade naturally (sun's output increases too much to allow liquid water), we're going to need to get off this planet.

Plan for the future I say :D

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not really. I took Knight's question to mean having a true permanent presence in outer space far beyond's Earth orbit. Only 12 men have ever left Earth's obit. The first step is to colonize the Moon, then Mars.

Out of curiosity...exactly what type of cheese is the moon made of? I've always wondered.

If it's Wensleydale or Stilton, America may not have a vested interest in colonizing the moon. Even Cheddar is iffy. Most American's consider it American in origin, but it has definite British roots.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Do you think we should attempt to colonize space?

I not only do, I suspect several of TOL's own have already made a consistent start at it. :plain:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Sure, I love the drama of discovery and the further discovery of space and space travel depends on colonization...of course it is good for business also. :D

Shasta

Making any planet habitable would require an enormous expenditure of time and effort. Even building base of operations would require a lot. Maintaining and sustaining it would require an ongoing dependency relationship to earth and in the end what would we get - tours for the super-rich with tickets costing a billion dollars or so. We probably would not break even then. Such a base could be used for research but would we gather any more data than we would if we sent an unmanned craft - doubtful. There are not many good candidates. Mars is probably the best but it has its own set of problems. Personally I would like to visit Titan where the atmosphere is so dense and the gravity so low that you could jump out of the ship wearing a large pair of wings and fly. Cool - as long as you don't land in one of its Ethane lakes (which are cool too). As for planets outside the Solar System, they are too far away. To get anywhere in space a ship would have to at least go the speed of light but according to the Theory of Relativity this not possible. As speed increases so would the ship's mass and the energy required to drive it. Don't get me wrong. I would love to visits some places in the universe. When the world ends I am planning to go on a walkabout through the Andromeda Galaxie. Feel free to join me.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ah yes, we could seek other moons orbiting other planets and harvest the cheese, and have a booming cheese business.

Or we can hunt for that planet Kolob that the Mormons talk about.

drbrumley

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Will we have the cancer known as government behind us?

eameece

We need to learn to take care of this planet before we export our destructive way of life to other places.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Do you think we should attempt to colonize space?

It's not a question of should.

We may do it, that is our choice as human beings. It is the kind of thing that we love to do and I guess that it is inevitable that we will. Human beings love pushing boundaries. We are Gods, it is quite simple really.

It won't bring us any closer to our maker, though. So the only question is, can and how do we as Christians reconcile the thirst for technology and advancement with a humble attitude to the Lord? I guess that being able to do that is one of the marks of maturity.