PDA

View Full Version : Allah is the Arabic name for God.

Samuelintonboot
December 10th, 2005, 03:47 AM
The Arabic bible which predates the English bible by a long time uses the Arabic name for God which is Allah.
I write this because some people (even some Christians) think that Muslims worship a different God from them (hard to comprehend I know).

chrysostom
December 10th, 2005, 03:59 AM
What does it say about Jesus?

Fensanity
December 10th, 2005, 04:14 AM
You won't find Allah in the hebrew. Allah has become a name for God. It's origins are sketchy though. example: Al-ilah, the moon god.

They may recognize one being as the Almighty creator, but if they fail to recognize Jesus as the way the truth and the life it doesn't matter.

Delmar
December 10th, 2005, 05:32 AM
What name do Arab Christians use for God?

Frank Ernest
December 10th, 2005, 06:25 AM
The Arabic bible which predates the English bible by a long time uses the Arabic name for God which is Allah.
Nice one and I'm sure that's true as well as being irrelevant. Orgainized Scripture precedes the "Arabic bible" by some 800 years. So, what is your point.

I write this because some people (even some Christians) think that Muslims worship a different God from them (hard to comprehend I know).
Muslims do worship a different god.

Squeaky
December 10th, 2005, 06:30 AM
you said
Arabic name for God which is Allah.

I said
Is Jesus the only begotten Son of Allah. Because if He isnt Allah is not God.

fool
December 10th, 2005, 10:35 AM
So, a Christian who speaks Arabic would refer to Yaweh as Allah, yes? no?

b-baggins
December 10th, 2005, 03:22 PM
So, a Christian who speaks Arabic would refer to Yaweh as Allah, yes? no?

Yes. Just like a Japanese Christian would use the word Kami, even thoug Kami is also the word used by taoists when they reference the dieties they believe live in trees and rocks.

The islamic concept of God is actually fairly close to the Jewish and traditional Christian views: A noncorporeal being both infinite and incomprehensible.

The Islamic faith is not Christian, but neither is Judaism. Islam has much more in common with Judaism than it does with Christianity.

There are enough similarities between the three faiths, however, that most scholars put them in the same family; the Abrahamic faiths.

Samuelintonboot
December 10th, 2005, 04:18 PM
What name do Arab Christians use for God?

Allah

Samuelintonboot
December 10th, 2005, 04:20 PM
You won't find Allah in the hebrew. Allah has become a name for God. It's origins are sketchy though. example: Al-ilah, the moon god.

They may recognize one being as the Almighty creator, but if they fail to recognize Jesus as the way the truth and the life it doesn't matter.

Muslims do accept Jesus as A very important prophet. They believe He will be seated on the right hand side of the Father on the last day.

Samuelintonboot
December 10th, 2005, 04:22 PM
What does it say about Jesus?

The Arabic bible says the same thing about Jesus as other bibles in other languages only its written in Arabic. Remember Jesus Christ was an Arab.

Samuelintonboot
December 10th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Nice one and I'm sure that's true as well as being irrelevant. Orgainized Scripture precedes the "Arabic bible" by some 800 years. So, what is your point.

Muslims do worship a different god.

From you perhaps. What god do you suppose to worship?

journeyman
December 10th, 2005, 04:39 PM
The Arabic bible says the same thing about Jesus as other bibles in other languages only its written in Arabic. Remember Jesus Christ was an Arab. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Whew! Jesus "an Arab!?" Jesus was a Jew! "Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the Son of Abraham." Matthew 1:1

fool
December 10th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Jews are Arabs, aren't they?
Was Abraham not from Bagdad?

Turbo
December 10th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Muslims do accept Jesus as A very important prophet. But they vehemently deny Christ's deity.

Christians recognize Jesus as God.
Muslims deny that Jesus is God.
Therefore, Muslims do not worship the same God that Christians worship.

fool
December 10th, 2005, 06:07 PM
But they vehemently deny Christ's deity.

Christians recognize Jesus as God.
Muslims deny that Jesus is God.
Therefore, Muslims do not worship the same God that Christians worship.
Jews deny Jesus.
Does that mean that Jews worship a different God than Christians ?
That wouldn't make any sense though, the Jews were around long before the Christians.
So it must be the Christians that worship a different God than the Jews.
Which I find quite strange since the Jewish God said not to worship anyone but him.
And the Christians claim that's the God their talkin about.

Fensanity
December 10th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Islam is not Biblical Christianity, if you would like to use the Quran to prove me wrong, go ahead. Furthermore those who believe in Islam don't profess Jesus to be their Lord and Savior. They deny Him as Lord and Savior thus deny Him completely. They have "another Jesus", one who is not their Lord and their Savior.

Turbo
December 10th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Jews deny Jesus.
Any Jew who denies the deity of Christ does not worship the same God as Christians, and in fact does not worship the True and Living God at all.

That wouldn't make any sense though, the Jews were around long before the Christians.And God was around long before the Jews. So what? According to their own Scriptures, most Jews rejected God even before He came in the flesh.

Even during Christ's earthly ministry He made this observation:

For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me. John 5:46

Of course not all Jews rejected Christ.

So it must be the Christians that worship a different God than the Jews.Didn't you just claim that wouldn't make any sense? :dizzy:

Which I find quite strange since the Jewish God said not to worship anyone but him.Yep, but as a whole the nation of Israel has a history (recorded in their Scriptures even) of disobeying that commandment since the day they received it.

And the Christians claim that's the God their talkin about.Yep.

Inquisitor
December 10th, 2005, 08:26 PM

Yes, Arabic Christians do use the word "Allah," and that's legitimate. But the Mohammedan god is not God, b/c they deny God's triune nature.

koban
December 10th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Jews are Arabs, aren't they?
Was Abraham not from Bagdad?

Abrahan was the father of both nations. Jacob was the father of the Jews, Esau was the father of the Arabs.

fool
December 10th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Abrahan was the father of both nations. Jacob was the father of the Jews, Esau was the father of the Arabs.
But all Arabs aren't Muslim, and all Muslims aren't Arab.

Sozo
December 10th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Jews deny Jesus.

"Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father; the one who confesses the Son has the Father also."

"He who hates Me hates My Father also."

fool
December 10th, 2005, 09:01 PM
"Have no Gods before me."

Turbo
December 10th, 2005, 09:20 PM
"Have no Gods before me."
"For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me."

fool
December 10th, 2005, 09:22 PM
"For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me."
So You says

koban
December 10th, 2005, 10:59 PM
But all Arabs aren't Muslim, and all Muslims aren't Arab.

Sure, and if you take the lid off a box of ferrets some of 'em are gonna squirm out!

Quasar1011
December 10th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Even a passage in the Hebrew Bible, includes a reference to God's son:

Proverbs 30:4
Who has gone up to heaven and come down? Who has gathered up the wind in the hollow of his hands? Who has wrapped up the waters in his cloak? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is his name, and the name of his son? Tell me if you know!

koban
December 10th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Even a passage in the Hebrew Bible, includes a reference to God's son:

Proverbs 30:4
Who has gone up to heaven and come down? Who has gathered up the wind in the hollow of his hands? Who has wrapped up the waters in his cloak? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is his name, and the name of his son? Tell me if you know!

I know!

I know!!

Pick me!

:wave::wave::wave:

Frank Ernest
December 11th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Ishmael was the progenitor of the Arab nations. See Genesis 25.

koban
December 11th, 2005, 06:12 PM

:doh:

I knew that!

Granite
December 12th, 2005, 07:17 AM

I'm glad somebody caught that...

fool
December 12th, 2005, 07:26 AM
So what would we consider a person from Bagdad to be pre-Abraham?
And to reiterate, Allah is the name that an Arabic speaker would use for Yaweh.

BillyBob
December 12th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Sure, and if you take the lid off a box of ferrets some of 'em are gonna squirm out!

A box of ferrets! :darwinsm:

BillyBob
December 12th, 2005, 07:28 AM
So what would we consider a person from Bagdad to be?

A terrorist.

fool
December 12th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Ferrets are cool.

Aimiel
December 12th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Muslims worship a god who has no son. Jews worship a God who has not yet sent the Messiah. Both are lost, and need the message that we have, Jesus is God's Son, and is indeed Christ.

Granite
December 12th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Either that or all three of you might try to get along.

BillyBob
December 12th, 2005, 07:35 AM
I have no problem with Jews, it's the Muslim's I hate.

kmoney
December 12th, 2005, 07:37 AM
My favorite professor in college is a Muslim. He's hilarious...

BillyBob
December 12th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Does he tell a bunch of terrorist jokes?

koban
December 12th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Ferrets are cool.

My son (and I) took care of his best friend's pets while he was away over Thanksgiving break. Two big dogs, three cats, bird, fish and nine (!!!) ferrets.

I had never warmed up to them before this, now I think they're pretty cool, too!

Getting them all back in the cage was a challenge, though. :freak:

kmoney
December 12th, 2005, 07:44 AM
:chuckle: No, he's just an absent minded funny old man....

BillyBob
December 12th, 2005, 07:47 AM
My son (and I) took care of his best friend's pets while he was away over Thanksgiving break. Two big dogs, three cats, bird, fish and nine (!!!) ferrets.

I had never warmed up to them before this, now I think they're pretty cool, too!

Getting them all back in the cage was a challenge, though. :freak:

You could build them a little amusement park, they'll love riding the Ferrets Wheel. :freak:

BillyBob
December 12th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Or pop in a movie, their favorite is 'Ferrets Bueler's Day Off'. :banana:

Granite
December 12th, 2005, 07:50 AM
I have no problem with Jews, it's the Muslim's I hate.

Thank you for making my point.:cool:

koban
December 12th, 2005, 08:05 AM
You could build them a little amusement park, they'll love riding the Ferrets Wheel. :freak:

The room they're in has a couple of floor to ceiling cages with tubes everywhere. Pretty neat, actually.

BillyBob
December 12th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Sounds like Beanieboy's apartment.....

kmoney
December 12th, 2005, 08:07 AM
You've been there??

BillyBob
December 12th, 2005, 08:08 AM
No, I was just repeating what you told me about it.

kmoney
December 12th, 2005, 08:09 AM
:noid:

Chandler
December 12th, 2005, 09:38 AM
The Hebrew word for "God" is "Elohim" (plural form) or "Eloah" (singular). Is "Allah" derived from or related to the Hebrew "Eloah"?

Aimiel
December 12th, 2005, 10:32 AM
The name Allah is the name of the god whose prophet is Mohammed: a false god that doesn't exist.

fool
December 12th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Perhaps some facts would be in order here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah

Arabic
الله
Transliteration
Allah, Allāh
Translation
"God"
Although the usage of the word Allāh is traditionally attributed to Muslims, it is not exclusive to Islam; Arab Christians and various Arabic-speaking Jews (including the Teimanim, several Mizraḥi communities and some Sephardim) also use it to refer to the monotheist deity. Arabic translations of the Bible also employ it, as do Roman Catholics in Malta (who pronounce it as "Alla"), Christians in Indonesia, who say "Allah Bapa" (Allah the Father) and Christians in the Middle East who use the Aramaic "Allāha".

Aimiel
December 12th, 2005, 01:43 PM
The god named in the Koran is Allah, who doesn't exist. The God Who is Named in The Bible does. He chose to magnify His Word even above all His Name. He has never given His Name. He is. Jesus said, "Before Abraham was, I Am."

Granite
December 12th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Blah-blah-blah, Aimiel. All of you people say the same thing: that your God is the only true God and that it's true because your book says so. The word "Allah" in and of itself is not evil or threatening; Fool just pointed out even Arab Christians use the word.

fool
December 12th, 2005, 01:58 PM
The god named in the Koran is Allah, who doesn't exist. The God Who is Named in The Bible does. He chose to magnify His Word even above all His Name. He has never given His Name. He is. Jesus said, "Before Abraham was, I Am."
From the Wiki link
"The Aramaic word for God is alh- (Syriac dialect), which comes from the same Proto-Semitic word (*ʾilh-) as the Arabic and Hebrew terms; Jesus is described in Mark 15:34 and Matthew 27:46 as having used this word on the cross (in the forms elō-i and ēl-i respectively) when asking God why God had forsaken him."

Aimiel
December 12th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Blah-blah-blah, Aimiel. All of you people say the same thing: that your God is the only true God and that it's true because your book says so. The word "Allah" in and of itself is not evil or threatening; Fool just pointed out even Arab Christians use the word.:blabla: Granite. Squeaky calls a familiar spirit The Holy Ghost. Doesn't make it so. Allah is a false god, whether you believe it or not.

Granite
December 12th, 2005, 02:52 PM
:blabla: Granite. Squeaky calls a familiar spirit The Holy Ghost. Doesn't make it so. Allah is a false god, whether you believe it or not.

The word itself is harmless and is used by your Christian brethern to describe the God of the Christian Bible. You're jumping at the bogeyman, Aimiel. The Allah of Islam may be your ideological enemy but as a word "Allah" is innocuous. That's all.

Aimiel
December 12th, 2005, 03:08 PM
"Whenever it is postulated that Christians and Muslims worship the same God, there are some -- both Christians and Muslims -- who say this is simply untrue. Those who raise objections generally agree that Christians and Muslims worship one God, but will not accept the statement that they worship the same God. Admittedly, this problem is probably more of a Christian problem than it is a Muslim problem. Once a Muslim is ready to acknowledge that God can be known by a name other than Allah (i.e., God. Onyame, etc.), he will generally agree that Christians and Muslims worship "the same God." At the same time, he will insist, however, that Christians err in "associating" (shirk) others with God. This conclusion grows out of the common misunderstanding among Muslims, based partially on the Quran (5:119), that Christians worship a Trinity of Father, Mother, and Son.

The problem as it confronts Christians is another kind of a problem altogether. It is a question of whether you can say you are worshipping the same God when you have such different understandings of the nature of God. Those who are troubled by this concern say that although Christians and Muslims use the same name for God and many of the same words to describe Him, they are not talking about the same God because Christians are talking about the Triune God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit..." --excerpted from "REACHING MUSLIMS FOR CHRIST: A Handbook for Christian Outreach Among Muslims" by William J. Saal (Chicago: Moody Press, 1991) ( 1991 Arab World Ministries).