PDA

View Full Version : ARCHIVE: A confession of faith

Justin (Wiccan)
November 26th, 2005, 09:10 PM
I've been wrestling with this for a while ... not because I didn't want to make the change, but because while I desire to serve the Creator with all my heart, I wasn't sure if I was qualified to serve in this fashion.

Am I a Christian? I do not know. I'm probably not a terribly orthodox Christian--but then again, I wasn't a terribly orthodox Wiccan. But from where I stand, and from the very best of my understanding, the symbol in my postbit is not the important issue--the important issue is the relationship between God and me.

Maybe it's time to look at that relationship in a different context.

Lucky
November 26th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Are you no longer a Wiccan?

Justin (Wiccan)
November 26th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Are you no longer a Wiccan?

No. I am persuaded that I cannot serve God effectively as a Wiccan.

Mr. 5020
November 26th, 2005, 09:37 PM
No. I am persuaded that I cannot serve God effectively as a Wiccan.Wow, Justin. I am amazed at the humility you have shown by such a confession.

You are in my prayers.

Brother Vinny
November 26th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Justin, I have to applaud your courage to challenge your own dearly-held beliefs. You rawk!

SOTK
November 26th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Wooohooo! :bannana:

You will be in my prayers, and if there is anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask! :up:

koban
November 26th, 2005, 09:57 PM
No. I am persuaded that I cannot serve God effectively as a Wiccan.

Welcome to the faith, brother. If I can help in any way, please let me.

I mean it. No smileys. :D (oops)

Greywolf
November 26th, 2005, 10:16 PM
I wish you well in your newfound relationship with God.

Charity
November 26th, 2005, 10:21 PM
The spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God

God Bless you

stunrut
November 26th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Pray.
Think.
Pray some more.
Listen to what God is trying to tell you.
Whatever it is, it's important.

keypurr
November 26th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Justin, you have come into some light. Don't stop now, it is a lifetime journey. Why not change your name to Brother Justin.
God Bless

Knight
November 27th, 2005, 10:22 AM
I've been wrestling with this for a while ... not because I didn't want to make the change, but because while I desire to serve the Creator with all my heart, I wasn't sure if I was qualified to serve in this fashion.

Am I a Christian? I do not know. I'm probably not a terribly orthodox Christian--but then again, I wasn't a terribly orthodox Wiccan. But from where I stand, and from the very best of my understanding, the symbol in my postbit is not the important issue--the important issue is the relationship between God and me.

Maybe it's time to look at that relationship in a different context.I had a feeling about you.

Congrats for you!

Knight
November 27th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I always thought to myself......

Self... if this Justin kid ever comes around he is going to be one POWERFUL witness for Christ. I suspect I will be right.

And I hope TOL helped in some small way in you finding what you were looking for all along.

logos_x
November 27th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Outstanding! :thumb:

fool
November 27th, 2005, 10:59 AM
:noway:
Tell us more.

BillyBob
November 27th, 2005, 11:02 AM
I'm waiting for the 'punch line'.......

Sozo
November 27th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Justin...

If I may be so bold as too suggest something to you regarding your new found faith.

God is big enough to guide you into the truth you seek... go to Him with every question on your heart: Argue... complain... yell... fight... cry... get angry... plead... and be bold about it! Most of all... listen to Him, because these are things that pray is all about. You cannot offend God in your desire to know the truth that only He can make known to you.

There are many here who are praying for you.

Grace & Peace

Justin (Wiccan)
November 27th, 2005, 11:25 AM
I'm waiting for the 'punch line'.......

No punchline, my friend.

Heck, currently I'm trying to desice what to change my username to ... somehow, "Justin (Wiccan)" just doesn't seem to fit anymore. Wonder why. ;)

Poly
November 27th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Wow, Justin.... I'm so thrilled!!!

This is so weird because just recently when I saw that picture of you holding your baby grandaughter, I started thinking about how sometimes you have some fun or witty things to say. And I remember thinking to myself at the time, "I'm sure he's such a neat person and I just hate it when you can't relate with some neat people over the awesomeness of God. (Of course I also hate this about "notsoneat" people as well. :D ) I'm excited that this might now be a possibility!!

Brother Vinny said it best.... You rawk!

koban
November 27th, 2005, 11:42 AM
No punchline, my friend.

Heck, currently I'm trying to desice what to change my username to ... somehow, "Justin (Wiccan)" just doesn't seem to fit anymore. Wonder why. ;)

How about "Justin Time" ? :D

Justin (Wiccan)
November 27th, 2005, 11:44 AM
How about "Justin Time" ? :D

You and Sozo! :help: I got called that all through school, and hated it. :chuckle:

Though I may consider "Justin Thyme." I could make my custom title "Parsely, sage, rosemary, and..." :think:

Shalom
November 27th, 2005, 11:58 AM
When I saw the pic of you with your new grand daughter I also thought some of the same things as Poly. I was wandering how you could hold her and not understand the true awesomeness of God. Good for you Justin. :BRAVO:

kmoney
November 27th, 2005, 12:07 PM
That is awesome Justin! I'll be praying for you as you move into this new area of your life.

BillyBob
November 27th, 2005, 12:17 PM
No punchline, my friend.

I know, I'm just joshin' ya. I figured you have plenty of support here so I can joke around a bit! :devil:

How about 'Justin [Time]'? :think:

BillyBob
November 27th, 2005, 12:18 PM
:doh: I see I'm not the first to suggest that! :bang:

Justin (Wiccan)
November 27th, 2005, 12:23 PM
:doh: I see I'm not the first to suggest that! :bang:

Yeah, that seems to be the trend.... :chuckle:

fool
November 27th, 2005, 12:23 PM
How bout "Justryingiton"

noguru
November 27th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Justin,

This is good. Following Jesus is the best way to serve God. He is our atonement and our strength in this world.

"Just a closer walk with thee
Jesus grant it if you please"

God Bless

fool
November 27th, 2005, 12:35 PM
So when are you going to lay out your system?
And, have you suffered any head injuries recently?

Justin (Wiccan)
November 27th, 2005, 12:46 PM
So when are you going to lay out your system?

Heck, I'm not sure I HAVE a "system."

And, have you suffered any head injuries recently?

Well, I did get hit by lightning a few weeks ago.... :think:

(And yes, that's a joke.)

fool
November 27th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Heck, I'm not sure I HAVE a "system."

Well then, maybe your not full blown Christian, maybe your just "Christ Curious".

Delmar
November 27th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Would you be willing to share your journey, from where you were to where you are, with us?

Justin (Wiccan)
November 27th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Maybe when I understand it more.

Justin (Wiccan)
November 27th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Note: That's not a reticence to share what's happened ... but I don't have enough of an understanding to phrase it coherently.

Balder
November 27th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Justin, as I recall, you were a Christian before you were Wiccan. Is that correct?

I also understand you to be saying here, not that you've become a Christian again, but that you've begun to look for a better way to serve God ... and that you are open to it being through Christianity.

For what it's worth, I thought I would chime in here and say that I, too, have been feeling more open to theism again, and have felt some of the old devotional love of God from my Christian days returning. It never left me, in truth, and I don't believe I ever rejected it in spirit; I just turned to it in a different way, and found it through a different form. The "language" and images of the Christian world in which I'd immersed myself eventually came to seem inadequate to me, and I looked into my heart and into the great traditions of the world to try to go deeper. I recall saying in a prayer once, as I stood outside the doors of a church in Korea, "Lord, I am turning my back on You -- on all that people have told me about You and where You are to be found; but I am doing it in order to better and more deeply find You."

After this journey, some of the Christian message does speak to me in a new way now. That is not a way of saying I'm "coming back" to Christianity, however, or that I'm leaving what I've found. But it is an acknowledgement of the original roots of my journey away, and an opening to make more room for what I'd left behind.

Peace,
Balder

fool
November 27th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Note: That's not a reticence to share what's happened ... but I don't have enough of an understanding to phrase it coherently.
Did it involve a ride on a spaceship?

Lighthouse
November 27th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Justin-
You're in my prayers, Justin. And as for your sn, I suggest just dropping the "(Wiccan)." All opf us just call you "Justin," anyway.

koban
November 27th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Somebody's already got that user name, Lighthouse.

Knight
November 27th, 2005, 05:49 PM
For what it's worth, I thought I would chime in here and say that I, too, have been feeling more open to theism again, and have felt some of the old devotional love of God from my Christian days returning. It never left me, in truth, and I don't believe I ever rejected it in spirit;:shocked: Wow... I am blown away by this.

This may be the greatest Christmas TOL has ever had.

kmoney
November 27th, 2005, 05:49 PM
we should just take the name "Justin" away from that other guy, I never see him post :devil:

or Justin (ex-Wiccan) should be called "The real slim Justin"

Lighthouse
November 27th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Somebody's already got that user name, Lighthouse.
Well, I have no idea then.

SOTK
November 27th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Justin, as I recall, you were a Christian before you were Wiccan. Is that correct?

I also understand you to be saying here, not that you've become a Christian again, but that you've begun to look for a better way to serve God ... and that you are open to it being through Christianity.

For what it's worth, I thought I would chime in here and say that I, too, have been feeling more open to theism again, and have felt some of the old devotional love of God from my Christian days returning. It never left me, in truth, and I don't believe I ever rejected it in spirit; I just turned to it in a different way, and found it through a different form. The "language" and images of the Christian world in which I'd immersed myself eventually came to seem inadequate to me, and I looked into my heart and into the great traditions of the world to try to go deeper. I recall saying in a prayer once, as I stood outside the doors of a church in Korea, "Lord, I am turning my back on You -- on all that people have told me about You and where You are to be found; but I am doing it in order to better and more deeply find You."

After this journey, some of the Christian message does speak to me in a new way now. That is not a way of saying I'm "coming back" to Christianity, however, or that I'm leaving what I've found. But it is an acknowledgement of the original roots of my journey away, and an opening to make more room for what I'd left behind.

Peace,
Balder

I'll be keeping you in my prayers, Balder! :up:

Charity
November 27th, 2005, 06:16 PM
we should just take the name "Justin" away from that other guy, I never see him post :devil:

or Justin (ex-Wiccan) should be called "The real slim Justin"
yes i like
Just in time 2

Lighthouse
November 27th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Balder-
I will pray for you, as well.

Clete
November 27th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Am I a Christian? I do not know.

Justin,

I know everyone seems very excited about your change of heart and I don't really want to be a kill joy here but perhaps you've been around long enough to have read one of us say that when we aren't sure that someone is or is not a Christian that we give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are not. Well, while such comments are intended to be somewhat shocking, that doesn't mean that they aren't true, and while it's terrific that you've stepped away from your paganism and I congratulate you for having done so, that isn't quite far enough for me to start jumping up and down with excitement, especially when you said yourself that you don't know whether you're a Christian or not.

I would very much like to put the issue to rest by simply asking you to explain to the group what it is exactly that you believe about Jesus Christ. Your answer to that should be enough to tell us whether there is really something here to celebrate about or whether you've simply exchanged your Hell bound Bobsled for a hand-basket. I sincerely hope that it is the former and not the latter and promise to pray for you to that end.

May God bless you!

Resting in Him,
Clete

Balder
November 27th, 2005, 10:40 PM
May God bless you!
Though he may yet fry you!

;)

Pass the salt...

Justin (Wiccan)
November 28th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Justin,

I know everyone seems very excited about your change of heart and I don't really want to be a kill joy here but perhaps you've been around long enough to have read one of us say that when we aren't sure that someone is or is not a Christian that we give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are not.

Clete, I have absolutely no problem with that, and I take no offense whatsoever. I would rather claim nothing than claim a name I'm not entitled to.

I would very much like to put the issue to rest by simply asking you to explain to the group what it is exactly that you believe about Jesus Christ.

Clete, I'll tell you the truth--I'm still figuring that out. What I know right now is that I believe that Jesus is God in the flesh. He was crucified, but God raised him from the dead. I do not understand how (and I rather have my doubts that any human understands how), but because of His death and resurrection, I am saved because I believe in Him.

*shrug* That's the absolute best I understand it and can express my understanding. There's more there, but I don't have the words to explain it.

Frank Ernest
November 28th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Clete, I'll tell you the truth--I'm still figuring that out. What I know right now is that I believe that Jesus is God in the flesh. He was crucified, but God raised him from the dead. I do not understand how (and I rather have my doubts that any human understands how), but because of His death and resurrection, I am saved because I believe in Him.
Welcome aboard, Brother! :thumb:

Delmar
November 28th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Welcome aboard, Brother! :thumb:
:up:

Justin
Just checking, did you get my PM

On Fire
November 28th, 2005, 06:45 AM
What I know right now is that I believe that Jesus is God in the flesh. He was crucified, but God raised him from the dead. I do not understand how (and I rather have my doubts that any human understands how), but because of His death and resurrection, I am saved because I believe in Him.

Perfect.

I also applaud your courage and humility....God will honor you for it.

BillyBob
November 28th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Justin,

I know everyone seems very excited about your change of heart and I don't really want to be a kill joy here but perhaps you've been around long enough to have read one of us say that when we aren't sure that someone is or is not a Christian that we give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are not. Well, while such comments are intended to be somewhat shocking, that doesn't mean that they aren't true, and while it's terrific that you've stepped away from your paganism and I congratulate you for having done so, that isn't quite far enough for me to start jumping up and down with excitement, especially when you said yourself that you don't know whether you're a Christian or not.

I would very much like to put the issue to rest by simply asking you to explain to the group what it is exactly that you believe about Jesus Christ. Your answer to that should be enough to tell us whether there is really something here to celebrate about or whether you've simply exchanged your Hell bound Bobsled in for a hand-basket. I sincerely hope that it is the former and not the latter and promise to pray for you to that end.

May God bless you!

Resting in Him,
Clete

:cow:

Frank Ernest
November 28th, 2005, 07:16 AM
:cow:
:darwinsm: Faith Cop on the job.
Cop pulls driver over for speeding.

Driver: Yes, Officer, I was speeding.
Officer: Justaminit, how were you speeding?
Driver: My speedometer said 35 and this is a 25 zone.
Officer: Your speedometer could be defective.
Driver: Well, yes, it could be, but I don't think so.
Officer: When did you check it last?
Driver: I haven't. I trust what it says.
Officer: Then you don't really know if you were speeding or not.
Driver: Guess I don't.
Officer: I'm writing you a ticket for a defective speedometer.
Driver: What about speeding?
Officer: We don't really know that, do we?

Clete
November 28th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Clete, I have absolutely no problem with that, and I take no offense whatsoever. I would rather claim nothing than claim a name I'm not entitled to.

*shrug* That's the absolute best I understand it and can express my understanding. There's more there, but I don't have the words to explain it.
Excellent answer! Understanding how is not necessary nor perhaps, as you've suggested, even possible. Welcome home!

:bannana: :jump: :Party: :juggle: :BRAVO: :cloud9: :sinapisN: :guitar: :drum: :singer: :Nineveh: :the_wave: :thefool: :straight:

Clete
November 28th, 2005, 07:40 AM
:darwinsm: Faith Cop on the job.
Cop pulls driver over for speeding.

Driver: Yes, Officer, I was speeding.
Officer: Justaminit, how were you speeding?
Driver: My speedometer said 35 and this is a 25 zone.
Officer: Your speedometer could be defective.
Driver: Well, yes, it could be, but I don't think so.
Officer: When did you check it last?
Driver: I haven't. I trust what it says.
Officer: Then you don't really know if you were speeding or not.
Driver: Guess I don't.
Officer: I'm writing you a ticket for a defective speedometer.
Driver: What about speeding?
Officer: We don't really know that, do we?
:confused:

allsmiles
November 28th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Maybe it's time to look at that relationship in a different context.

since you've already related to us that you don't fully understand what you're getting into, i'll keep away from asking about particulars in regards to what you're jumping into... i must admit that i'm confused that someone as intelligent as yourself would jump into a decision like this without fully comprehending what you're getting into.

faith at work i suppose: intelligent people doing things that not even themselves understand.:rolleyes:

yeah, big trade mark of an informed decision.

i apologize if i don't mask my disappointment very well:)

how were you compelled to this particular decision?

was it just faith, or reason, or evidence, or the lack of results from wicca? like i said i won't ask about the system you're adopting, just about the reasons behind the switch.

i don't care if people have a tendency to change their socks very often, i just wonder at people who change their socks when none are needed at all and they already know that...:think:

Frank Ernest
November 28th, 2005, 07:43 AM
:confused:
:darwinsm: It's a parable.

2ephesians8
November 28th, 2005, 08:53 AM

:the_wave: :the_wave: :the_wave: :e4e: :e4e: :e4e: :drum: :guitar: :cheers:

Time for a party!

Hallelujah!
Praise God in His holy temple; praise Him in the firmament of His power. Praise Him for His mighty acts; praise Him for His excellent greatness. Praise Him with the blast of the ram's-horn; praise Him with the lyre and harp. Praise Him with timbrel and dance; praise Him with strings and pipe. Praise Him with resounding cymbals; praise Him with loud-clanging cymbals. Let everything that has breath praise the Lord! Hallelujah!Psalm 150

Ninjashadow
November 28th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Congrats Justin.

As far as your name goes, I don't know if anyone suggested it, but how about Justin (Christian)?

Jefferson
November 28th, 2005, 09:32 AM
how were you compelled to this particular decision?It was probably due to Romans 1:19,20 - "What may be known of God is manifest in [men], for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse."

koban
November 28th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Congrats Justin.

As far as your name goes, I don't know if anyone suggested it, but how about Justin (Christian)?

Nope, I think we were all trying to be clever.

Good suggestion!

firechyld
November 29th, 2005, 02:14 AM
Wow. That's a big call to make.

I hope it all works out for you, Justin. :)

docrob57
January 3rd, 2006, 01:35 PM
I just heard about this!! Tremendous news!!! WTG Justin!!!!

Of course, it was predestined. :Party:

PastorZ77
January 3rd, 2006, 01:44 PM
Justin...

If I may be so bold as too suggest something to you regarding your new found faith.

God is big enough to guide you into the truth you seek... go to Him with every question on your heart: Argue... complain... yell... fight... cry... get angry... plead... and be bold about it! Most of all... listen to Him, because these are things that pray is all about. You cannot offend God in your desire to know the truth that only He can make known to you.

There are many here who are praying for you.

Grace & Peace

This is the best advice given in this whole thread.

If you seek the Truth, you're guaranteed to find it, if you seek the Creator, He has not hidden Himself. He is revealed in creation and in His son, I can't wait to hear about how you feel his love and the Spirit witness to your open heart.

Acknowledge God as God, acknowledge Christ as His son and his sacrifice for us and so we can be reconciled TO God, know that you know that Jesus rose from the dead, I'm so excited for you! :D Congrats!!! :BRAVO: :third:

Adam

Freak
January 3rd, 2006, 08:19 PM
What I know right now is that I believe that Jesus is God in the flesh. He was crucified, but God raised him from the dead. I do not understand how (and I rather have my doubts that any human understands how), but because of His death and resurrection, I am saved because I believe in Him.

*shrug* That's the absolute best I understand it and can express my understanding. There's more there, but I don't have the words to explain it. Awesome! Freakazoid stands with you!

Servo
January 3rd, 2006, 08:37 PM
I just saw this thread. What great news!

JoyfulRook
January 10th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Wow! I can't believe I missed this thread! This is so neat!

I always thought that you were quite knowledgable when it came to scripture, and I remember thinking "How did a Wiccan get his head screwed on as good as he does?" I always thought that it would be really cool if you became a Christian. And I prayed that you would! So this news is very exciting for me!

And by the way: I like :Ninja: 's Idea of Justin (Christian).

Truppenzwei
January 10th, 2006, 06:22 PM
God Bless Justin.

docrob57
January 10th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Perhaps I shouldn't say this, though he didn't ask me to keep it confidential, but Justin now claims to be both Christian and Wiccan. So keep a prayin'

koban
January 10th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Perhaps I shouldn't say this, though he didn't ask me to keep it confidential, but Justin now claims to be both Christian and Wiccan. So keep a prayin'

baby steps

Jefferson
January 10th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Perhaps I shouldn't say this, though he didn't ask me to keep it confidential, but Justin now claims to be both Christian and Wiccan. So keep a prayin'Kind of like trying to be both a Christian and a democrat. But like koban said, baby steps. After my conversion to Christianity, it took me years to leave the republican party and become a true right winger.

The Berean
January 10th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I just saw this! It is totally amazing. But everything God does is amazing. :chuckle:

One Eyed Jack
January 11th, 2006, 06:32 AM
You and Sozo! :help: I got called that all through school, and hated it. :chuckle:

Though I may consider "Justin Thyme." I could make my custom title "Parsely, sage, rosemary, and..." :think:

I love that song (especially the Queensryche version). And congratulations on accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior! I'm so happy about this I don't know what to say. :D

Nineveh
January 11th, 2006, 10:45 AM
What I know right now is that I believe that Jesus is God in the flesh. He was crucified, but God raised him from the dead. ...but because of His death and resurrection, I am saved because I believe in Him.

"...there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.

*~WooHoo! Justin!

C'mon Balder, it's your turn :)

Mr. 5020
January 30th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I figured I'd bump this thread, due to J(W)'s retraction (http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35240) of the OP.

:(

Knight
January 30th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Notice that Justin became a "Christian" after much time spent on TOL.

Then he left TOL for a long time and then rejected what he learned on TOL.

This proves the power of TOL's secret mind control methods.

Justin (Wiccan)
January 30th, 2007, 02:23 PM

Don't be advertizing those--they're still top secret.

Besides which, if the IRS starts asking, then I'll have to pay back taxes on the "Guinea Pig" stipend you folks have been paying me. :D

WandererInFog
January 30th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Notice that Justin became a "Christian" after much time spent on TOL.

Then he left TOL for a long time and then rejected what he learned on TOL.

Or, after reading through this thread and the archives a bit, that he's just a giant drama queen who will make whatever "profession of faith" that will get him attention...

Clete
January 30th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Or, after reading through this thread and the archives a bit, that he's just a giant drama queen who will make whatever "profession of faith" that will get him attention...
Nah!

It's definitely the mind control techniques!

:squint: