Not open for further replies.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Refractive
I thought since the thread is now two years and over 1000 posts along, it would be a nice refresher to just repeat the op here - hope OP (haha!) doesn't mind:
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Yes; thanks. Unfortunately, the wishes I stated in the OP have been completely disrespected by several people who refuse to show self control. So I think the thread has been trashed. I doubt I'll hang around it too long other than to read. But I'll be happy to address your comments in this post, Refractive.

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> So, you aren't actually "Christians," then? </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
No clue what you're talking about. I believe that Jesus Christ died for my sins and rose again. How's that?
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> See, I'm not sure why you think Jesus was only talking to Jews, since He went out of His way to personally bring His message to the Samaritans. I'm not sure why you think "everyone" only means "some people." Or why you think all the people following Him around were only Jews or all those prostitutes He ate with were. I mean, He gave His message and healing to anyone who asked in faith, so it wasn't all that exclusive.. </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. Matt. 15:24
Jesus interacted with others, too. But His earthly ministry was specifically for His own people (Israel). His words can't be taken any other way.

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> I'm equally confused as to why, as Peter was called to be Apostle to the Gentiles, but then you think all of a sudden Paul is the only one? </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Peter being sent to Cornelius didn't make him "Apostle to the Gentiles." Can you imagine how the Jerusalem council would have gone (Acts 15) had God not, in His infinite wisdom, sent Peter to Cornelius those several years earlier? Because God had sent Peter to Cornelius, and Peter could see that God would pour out His Spirit on Gentiles as well, then Peter was able to stand up and testify in Paul's defense in Acts 15. Had God not sent him there in Acts 10, Acts 15 wouldn't have turned out good for Paul. God is infinitely wise, though.

Show me anywhere else where Peter went to Gentiles. His ministry was for his brethren of the circumcision.
For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles... Gal. 2:8
Whereas is it said specifically about Paul that he is the apostle to the Gentiles.
For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office... Rom. 11:13

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Heck, I don't even know where the "one year" came from. </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
You should show some patience, then, and work through the thread before you start ridiculing. The OP was just to lay out an outline. The rest of the thread was to biblically address questions about the OP and related thoughts.

Here's the one year:
He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down. Luke 13:6-9
I won't patronize you by pointing out the obvious representations in this parable.

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> But the thing that really confuses me - well - two things really. I don't know why you think what Paul said is not congruent with the Gospels... </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
You should read past the OP and you'll see that this question is addressed. Like the conclusion or not - that's up to you - it's there all in this thread. I'd ask that you show some patience and assume that there might actually be some useful information past the OP.
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> and I don't know why you think Jesus changed His mind about what constitutes salvation after the Resurrection. </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
You'll have to clarify what you mean. This is a weird statement.

Thanks,
Randy
This thread was started in June 17th 2009. I am happy to see Chickenman posting in it again with his dynamite posts. That isn't the reason why I selected this one though. Here he refutes a detractor expertly using scripture. He doesn't warp the meaning or redact it away. He takes the scripture for what it says. I have a term for this kind of Christianity. Biblical Christianity.

Status
Not open for further replies.