PDA

View Full Version : I've converted



Turbo
January 11th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Look what I just bought on eBay!

A year-old 1.04 GHz iMac G4
17" display
512 MB RAM
80 GB Hard Drive
DVD-R/CD-RW Superdrive
Airport wireless 802.11g card
Mac OS X Panther

price: $1056 including shipping. That's almost exactly half of what I was ready to pay for a 20" iMac G5.

:banana:

drbrumley
January 11th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Im sorry

drbrumley
January 11th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Just joking, good job.

Poly
January 11th, 2005, 09:28 PM
So, Knight triumphs.

We kept trying to tell you to "use the force, Turbo, use the force!!!"

:nono:

Turbo
January 11th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Here's what it will be replacing:

A seven-year-old 266 MHz Pentium II Gateway2000
17" (15.9 viewable) Vivitron CRT that has been on it's last leg for at least a couple years.
64 MB RAM
6 GB Hard Drive partitioned into three 2-GB drives (remember those days?) plus a 20 GB that I added later. They're all full.
CD-Rom Drive that doesn't always work. Sometime punching it helps, though. :boxing:
Windows98

Greywolf
January 11th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Poly
So, Knight triumphs.

Here (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/napoleon.php) you can see him doing his victory dance.


Originally posted by Poly
We kept trying to tell you to "use the force, Turbo, use the force!!!"

GeForce or nForce? :angel:

Knight
January 11th, 2005, 11:19 PM
And another life is saved. :angel:

Mr. 5020
January 11th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Greywolf

Here (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/napoleon.php) you can see him doing his victory dance. :darwinsm:

Granite
January 12th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Good move Turbo.:thumb:

One of us, one of us...

Turbo
January 12th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by granite1010

One of us, one of us... :chuckle:

:flamer: :noid: :flamer:

julie21
January 12th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Greywolf

Here (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/napoleon.php) you can see him doing his victory dance.

Happy for you, but don't know that I could expose the children to that display.;)

Turbo
January 12th, 2005, 08:52 AM
I can hardly wait to play Scarab of Ra (http://www.semicolon.com/Scarab.html) again. :)

One Eyed Jack
January 12th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Say, Turbo -- I have an old 68030-based Mac laptop. I think it's running OS version 6 or thereabouts. The screen is black and white, and it's roughly the speed of an old 386. Do you know of any decent software I can run on this thing?

Granite
January 12th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Abandon hope, Jack. Upgrade!

One Eyed Jack
January 12th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by granite1010

Abandon hope, Jack. Upgrade!

It's not my main computer by any means -- I have about seven others that work, but it's one of only two laptops. I just think it would be nifty to put it to some good use. Right now all it's really good for is taking notes.

Lucky
January 12th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by One Eyed Jack

Say, Turbo -- I have an old 68030-based Mac laptop. I think it's running OS version 6 or thereabouts. The screen is black and white, and it's roughly the speed of an old 386. Do you know of any decent software I can run on this thing?
Click the penguin and win a free OS. -->

Turbo
January 12th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by One Eyed Jack

Say, Turbo -- I have an old 68030-based Mac laptop. I think it's running OS version 6 or thereabouts. The screen is black and white, and it's roughly the speed of an old 386. Do you know of any decent software I can run on this thing? Didn't you see my link to Scarab of Ra (http://www.semicolon.com/Scarab.html)?

Seriously, I haven't used a Mac since high school. We got a Macintosh Plus in 1988. It had a tiny black and white screen, but it looked a lot better than the amber or green on black displays that were common at the time. And it was a lot easier to use.

Then in 1996 I got a Gateway2000 when I went off to college. I looked into getting a Mac, but they seemed more expensive at that time. A year later I got another Gateway2000 and my parents took the year-old tower with the new monitor. And as of today I'm still using that 7-year-old tower with the 8-year-old monitor.

So I was raised in a Mac home, but when I went off to college I fell away for several years. But now I see the error of my ways.

Poly
January 12th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Turbo

....but it looked a lot better than the amber or green on black displays that were common at the time. And it was a lot easier to use.


:ha:

I remember taking computer in High School. Man I thought we were "Big Time". :eek:

the Sibbie
January 12th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Poly

:ha:

I remember taking computer in High School. Man I thought we were "Big Time". :eek: I came out of high school with very little computer skills. I barely knew what computer programming was and it didn't cross my mind to take a programming course. Majoring in EE in college, I had to keep up or choke on the dust! :eek:

Turbo
January 12th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by the Sibbie

I came out of high school with very little computer skills.Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills. You know, like numchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...

Knight
January 12th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Turbo

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills. You know, like numchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills... You can draw can't you?

Poly
January 12th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Turbo

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills. You know, like numchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...

yup!!

One Eyed Jack
January 13th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Turbo

Didn't you see my link to Scarab of Ra (http://www.semicolon.com/Scarab.html)?

Better than that, I saw they have a version of Rogue for the Mac. Talk about a classic! I remember typing in a version of that game for my Atari (http://www.atarimagazines.com/v6n1/ARogue.html).


Seriously, I haven't used a Mac since high school. We got a Macintosh Plus in 1988. It had a tiny black and white screen, but it looked a lot better than the amber or green on black displays that were common at the time. And it was a lot easier to use.

I remember those green screens. Even the Atari 8-bit made those things look obsolete.


Then in 1996 I got a Gateway2000 when I went off to college. I looked into getting a Mac, but they seemed more expensive at that time. A year later I got another Gateway2000 and my parents took the year-old tower with the new monitor. And as of today I'm still using that 7-year-old tower with the 8-year-old monitor.

I've still got my Pentium Pro system from circa 1994, although I don't use it anymore. It's just sitting beside my TV.


So I was raised in a Mac home, but when I went off to college I fell away for several years. But now I see the error of my ways.

I've always been an Atari man, but when Wing Commander came out for the PC, I had to choose it. Wing Commander was meant to be played on a 386-33 -- all the console versions were crap.

Crow
January 13th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by the Sibbie

I came out of high school with very little computer skills. I barely knew what computer programming was and it didn't cross my mind to take a programming course. Majoring in EE in college, I had to keep up or choke on the dust! :eek:

I never owned or used a puter except for games until August of 2001. :eek:

Turbo
January 13th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by One Eyed Jack

I've still got my Pentium Pro system from circa 1994, although I don't use it anymore. That first computer was a Pentium Pro. It's collecting dust at my parents' house.

One Eyed Jack
January 13th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Turbo

That first computer was a Pentium Pro. It's collecting dust at my parents' house.

The Pentium Pro is a good processor. Overclocked at 233, it compares favorably with a Pentium II 266. It would make a perfectly serviceable light-duty computer.

Turbo
January 13th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by One Eyed Jack

The Pentium Pro is a good processor. Overclocked at 233, it compares favorably with a Pentium II 266. It would make a perfectly serviceable light-duty computer. My current computer is a Pentium II 266. One is plenty. :bang:

But I know what you're saying. If I just use it for Excel, or Word, or opening one or two internet pages, its ok (aside from the random crashing). But it really gets mad when I open big picture files to edit. Or open eight webpages at once. Or both. :eek:

Granite
January 13th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Power Mac G5 DP 1.8ghz
512mb
160 gig hard drive
Superdrive
17" Apple display
Harmon Kardon Soundsticks
Microsoft wireless keyboard & mouse

That's what I come home to every night!:devil:

P.S. Yes, you guessed right. I have no life...:D

One Eyed Jack
January 13th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Still using that Superdrive?

SOTK
January 14th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Turbo

Look what I just bought on eBay!

A year-old 1.04 GHz iMac G4
17" display
512 MB RAM
80 GB Hard Drive
DVD-R/CD-RW Superdrive
Airport wireless 802.11g card
Mac OS X Panther

price: $1056 including shipping. That's almost exactly half of what I was ready to pay for a 20" iMac G5.

:banana:

:down:

Another slave to the pre-manufactured PC business. :(

Just kidding, kind of :angel: Seriously, I'm glad you got a better running PC. :)

Turbo
January 14th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by SOTK

:down:

Another slave to the pre-manufactured PC business. :( I buy all my tools, appliances, and electronics pre-made. :)

But seriously, I bought the Mac for the OS.

Poly
January 14th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Turbo

I buy all my tools, appliances, and electronics pre-made. :)



Don't tools generally come pre-made? :eek:

Lucky
January 14th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Turbo

But seriously, I bought the Mac for the OS.
Many folks do. And that begs the question, why doesn't Apple make a version of OSX for "IBM-combatible" PCs. De facto standard PC hardware may not be as spectacular as Mac hardware, but there's never been a better time for Apple to take on Microsoft's desktop market. Especially since there's tons of average Joe's who are burnt out from battling viruses, worms, and spyware and want something that Just Works.

Turbo
January 14th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Poly

Don't tools generally come pre-made? :eek: Exactly.

Turbo
January 14th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Lucky

Many folks do. And that begs the question, why doesn't Apple make a version of OSX for "IBM-combatible" PCs. De facto standard PC hardware may not be as spectacular as Mac hardware, but there's never been a better time for Apple to take on Microsoft's desktop market. Especially since there's tons of average Joe's who are burnt out from battling viruses, worms, and spyware and want something that Just Works. Why don't they pull a Sega? I dunno. They might have good reasons, but I don't know enough about it.

I think that new Mac mini is a step in the right direction. $500-600 would be a reasonable price for just the OS and software bundle, but it also comes with hardware comparable to their current iBooks.

I just found this link: $600 System Shootout (http://www.systemshootouts.org/shootouts/desktop/2005/0111_dt0600.html)

:cool: