toldailytopic: What is your chosen method for educating your children and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 24th, 2010 1:59 PM

toldailytopic: What is your chosen method for educating your children and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
We have homeschooled all 6 of our children. We homeschool so that they will learn proper social skills.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
If and when I have children I will home school.

Reasons:

1. Better education
  2. Better social skills
  3. Less likelihood of sexual immorality or violence

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
Education free of religious associated schools of any kind. Religious people have too much special interest when it comes to certain subjects. kids should receive a sound education. They should see both sides of the argument and then chose for themselves.

Seydlitz77

We have homeschooled all 6 of our children. We homeschool so that they will learn proper social skills.

Interesting that, I went to public school but my younger siblings (3 of them) were all homeschooled. I ended up being the better socially adjusted teen and young adult and incidentally I'm the only one who stayed faithful, the other 3 are agnostic at best.

When I have children I will send them to public school though I plan to keep an eye on what they are learning and supplement it with instruction in the family if necessary.

One Eyed Jack

I don't have any kids, but I have two nephews. I like to ask them questions, so they'll think about the problem, rather than just giving them the answers. I know it can be frustrating sometimes when I answer half their questions with other questions, but more often than not, I can lead them to the point where they can come up with an answer by themselves. I find it rewarding, and I hope they do too.

Alate_One

Most likely public schools when the time comes though I will be keeping a close eye on them and of course supplementing/correcting anything I think is deficient or incorrect.

I do not have the time nor inclination for homeschooling, I want my children to have exposure to what is "out there" rather than being insulated in the same environment at all times. I believe that having limited experience limits the child and may encourage them to seek out things they were denied once they are emancipated.

I hope to send them to Canada to be with their grandparents during at least part of the summer to make sure they get a broad experience.

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
If and when I have children I will home school.

Reasons:

1. Better education
  2. Better social skills
  3. Less likelihood of sexual immorality or violence

Why do you think home schooling gives your kids better social skills?

Why would home schooling your kids make them less likely to be sexually immoral? I guess the alternative to public school and possible temptation is home school imprisonment, but then those kids have just as much of a chance of being wild or even harmfully clueless when it comes to natural human attraction and temptation. They have to leave the nest someday, and they might just be like the kid who never got to eat candy and then got a piece one day............................:devil: :peach: :banana:

GuySmiley

My kids go to a private Christian school. I send them there rather than public school so they will be exposed to all sides of an issue.

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
My kids go to a private Christian school. I send them there rather than public school so they will be exposed to all sides of an issue.

How are they exposed to all sides of the issue by going to a religious school? You already send them to church to learn the doctrines of your faith, and on top of that they also go to a school affiliated with your faith, they are getting the same indoctrination on all sides.

Christian Church+Christian School=Christian Education

Right?

GuySmiley

How are they exposed to all sides of the issue by going to a religious school? You already send them to church to learn the doctrines of your faith, and now they also go to a school affiliated with your faith, they are getting the same indoctrination on all sides.

Christian Church+Christian School=Christian Education

Right?
At that school they are taught about other faiths, evolution, etc. They know far more than I did about evolution. What do you hear about religious faiths in public school? What are you taught about creation in public school?

EDIT: Oh, and yes, right.

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
At that school they are taught about other faiths, evolution, etc. They know far more than I did about evolution. What do you hear about religious faiths in public school? What are you taught about creation in public school?

EDIT: Oh, and yes, right.

Oh ok.

That's a good school if they truly teach all of those things--without spin of course

Usually religious schools teach everything based on one thing.

Right on. :thumb:

Buzzword

Ok, sounds reasonable... but you said...

How can they see both sides if their education is free of religious associations?

I take it Non means free of religious BIAS, meaning no spin whatsoever.

My wife and I don't have kids yet, but we've already decided to send them to public school when we have them.

Main reasons:
-we're both glorious products of the public school system

-we'll both likely be required to work to provide for our children (we're already in that boat just trying to provide for OURSELVES)

-we've both been exposed to religious educations institutions as college students, and we frankly don't trust them to act in our children's best interests

-neither of us feel any inclination or calling to homeschool.

Of course, we won't just set them afloat in the river and leave them to paddle themselves.
An active interest from parents can create or bolster an active interest in the child, especially as they begin to form their own interests and find hobbies.

While public school may be more dangerous than cloistering at home or in private schools, we believe it is a more realistic setting for social interaction and formation of individual personality.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
My daughters go to public school. We do not fear the garbage that happens in public schools and, in fact, use it as starting points for some very interesting discussions. While I am not always pleased with some of the the things they get exposed to, I am very pleased that we have been able to use those incidents to teach them valuable lessons both academically and morally.

I cannot protect my children their whole life. In fact, I have a very small window during which I can both protect and educate them. So we chose to spend that time by teaching them how to deal with challenges (sex, smoking, drugs, etc.) so that when they leave home, they know its there and they know how to say no and know why they would want to say no.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
While public school may be more dangerous than cloistering at home or in private schools, we believe it is a more realistic setting for social interaction and formation of individual personality.
I couldn't disagree more.

My boys play competitive ice hockey so I get to interact with plenty of public school kids and I can tell you that our homeschooled children are far more adept at interacting with other people on a mature level.

Social skills are a skill (hence the name social skills) and social skills are something that should be taught like any other skill (math, reading, etc.). Public school kids don't learn social skills (there is no course for that). Instead they pick up social habits (usually bad habits) from the other kids that they hang around all day long and sadly act extremely immature and disrespectful.

We constantly get compliments about how friendly and respectful our children are. And it isn't as if they are nerds, far from it... they are excellent athletes who have competed at the highest levels of sports, have tons of friends, they even play in a punk rock band.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I couldn't disagree more.

My boys play competitive ice hockey so I get to interact with plenty of public school kids and I can tell you that our homeschooled children are far more adept at interacting with other people on a mature level.

Social skills are a skill (hence the name social skills) and social skills are something that should be taught like any other skill (math, reading, etc.). Public school kids don't learn social skills (there is no course for that). Instead they pick up social habits (usually bad habits) from the other kids that they hang around all day long and sadly act extremely immature and disrespectful.

We constantly get compliments about how friendly and respectful our children are. And it isn't as if they are nerds, far from it... they are excellent athletes who have competed at the highest levels of sports, have tons of friends, they even play in a punk rock band.
That is more a failure of the parents than of the schools. We have taught our daughters good social skills and all of their friends have equally good social skills. There are some kids in the school whose social skills are severely lacking. Generally, when you meet the parents of these kids you instantly understand why the kids have no social skills.

The biggest problem facing public school today is the perception that schools are to blame for the failings of parents.

Dena

My husband has agreed I can homeschool our future children until second grade and then we'll see from there. I would prefer to homeschool but he may not agree to it. Private school (non-religious) would be the second choice if we could afford it but given the high tuition rates I don't foresee that being possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.