toldailytopic: Are some sins 'non-reformable' and/or 'unforgivable'? If so, what are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 21st, 2010 09:53 AM

toldailytopic: Are some sins 'non-reformable' and/or 'unforgivable'? If so, what are they? Why or why not?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Son of Jack

toldailytopic: Are some sins 'non-reformable' and/or 'unforgivable'? If so, what are they? Why or why not?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The only one I know of is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit (i.e. attributing the work of the Spirit of God to something other than that, in particular Satan).

Beyond that, there is nothing that is unforgivable. David and Saul/Paul are great examples, though Judas does give me pause.

Are some sins 'non-reformable' and/or 'unforgivable'?
Not believing in Jesus. That's it.

"But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper shall not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. "And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin, and righteousness, and judgment; concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me" John 16:7-9

The only one I know of is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit (i.e. attributing the work of the Spirit of God to something other than that, in particular Satan).
That's not blaspheme of the Holy Spirit.

Aimiel

Jesus said, "Whosoever will..." and those who blaspheme The Holy Spirit won't; but anyone who will, may be saved.

vnctblzn

psychologists seem to suggest that criminal pedophilia is non-reformable, nor have i ever witnessed reform in criminal pedophiles. while i believe that all sin is forgiveable, i dont believe that sins can be truly repented of short of regeneration.

i believe that some sins can even incur brain damage, if a person engages in a longterm pattern of certain negative criminal choices. the brain itself may have to undergo physical regeneration.

Aimiel

If my heart hadn't been re-generated, I never would have loved those who are overweight. It just wasn't in me. I had a deep-rooted hatred of the obese, and couldn't stand them. One day a girl who was extremely obese, and shunned by every co-worker that I saw, came to be under my supervision. My love for her proved to me that God had re-generated my heart. Every one of us has things that needed re-generation, and that still need work. If we didn't, we'd already be Home.

elohiym

No sins are reformable. Hence, all sin is non-reformable. Sin is the product of a carnal mind which cannot be reformed (Rom 8:7).

However...

Mat 12:31-32 All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Unbelief is blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, and logically it cannot be forgiven because it is unbelief.

drbrumley

No sins are reformable. Hence, all sin is non-reformable. Sin is the product of a carnal mind which cannot be reformed (Rom 8:7).

However...

Mat 12:31-32 All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Unbelief is blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, and logically it cannot be forgiven because it is unbelief.

I"ve been meaning to ask you and Sozo this, so hear it goes as it relates to the topic.

God speaks thru His word of the unpardonable sin. Hence the suggestion from scripture that all sins but THIS one (unpardonable) are indeed reformable? Now as I see it, the unpardonable sin is the sin of rejecting the offer of salvation of Christ Jesus. Is this how you see it as well, and if not, how do you see the unpardonable sin?

However...

Exactly! Perfectly stated!

elohiym

God speaks thru His word of the unpardonable sin. Hence the suggestion from scripture that all sins but THIS one (unpardonable) are indeed reformable?

Pardonable does not imply reformable. Sin is the product of the carnal mind. For any sin to be reformable, it would require the carnal mind first be reformable. We know the carnal mind is not reformable.

Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

We should not give others a false hope that any of their sins are reformable. To do so might put them on a works-based path. Instead, we should teach others that their old man (carnal mind) must die because he cannot be reformed.

It's a hard lesson, much harder than it appears.

Now as I see it, the unpardonable sin is the sin of rejecting the offer of salvation of Christ Jesus. Is this how you see it as well, and if not, how do you see the unpardonable sin?

Unbelief is the unpardonable sin. Rejecting the offer of salvation is the essence of unbelief.

elohiym

Sam, Joe, and Becky all believe.

Sam believes 2+2=4

Joe believes 2+2=5

Becky believes 2+2=3

Who believes the truth? Only Sam.

Joe and Becky believe something, just not the truth.

It's the same in Christianity. The vast majority of self-professed Christians are like Joe and Becky. Many Joes and Beckys are called, but only Sams are chosen.

Mat 22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

vnctblzn

Unbelievers become believers when their mind is changed about God

all of these unbelievers have blasphemed the holy spirit?:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Luke 12:46[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the master of that slave will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces, and assign him a place with the unbelievers.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Cor 6:6[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]but brother goes to law with brother, and that before unbelievers?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Cor 7:12[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not divorce her.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Cor 10:27[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience' sake.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Cor 14:22[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So then tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophecy is for a sign, not to unbelievers but to those who believe.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Cor 14:23[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Therefore if the whole church assembles together and all speak in tongues, and ungifted men or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are mad?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Cor 14:24[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an ungifted man enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all;[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 Cor 6:14[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 Cor 6:15[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Tim 5:8[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.[/FONT]

vnctblzn

ALL unbelievers have blasphemed the Holy Spirit. Unbelief is not forgiven. God does not forgive unbelief.

then how might one reconcile the following verses with each other?:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Cor 7:12 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not divorce her.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 Cor 6:14 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]should a man remain in a marriage with a blasphemer of the holy spirit?[/FONT]

kmoney

Hall of Fame

I would say that all sins are reformable. All sins are forgivable except the unpardonable sin.

then how might one reconcile the following verses with each other?:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Cor 7:12 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not divorce her.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 Cor 6:14 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]should a man remain in a marriage with a blasphemer of the holy spirit?[/FONT]

"Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace. For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?"

Status
Not open for further replies.