toldailytopic: Evangelism. What style of evangelism did you respond to when you becam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 20th, 2010 10:27 AM

toldailytopic: Evangelism. What style of evangelism did you respond to when you became a Christian? What style do you think is the most effective now?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Son of Jack

Depends on how one defines evangelism...:plain:

:D

Actually I responded to a mixture of evangelism. Lewis was extremely influential in my conversion, in particular his argument from desire. Then one night in church a missionary came and read Romans 5:1-11...I never heard another word he said. I just sat there and thought about what Paul had written and how that applied to me.

I think every person is unique with regard to evangelism, but I do believe that an incarnational approach to evangelism is the best one (and that applies to the rest of our theology). People want to see Jesus, and the only Jesus most people will ever meet is the One who dwells in me.

noguru

Well I had read the Bible many times when I was growing up. But at 12 I rejected pretty much every religious claim as propaganda designed to allow some people to control others. I was throwing out the baby with the bathwater. The person who was most instrumental in making me realize that my agnosticism was actually the thing which made me most uncomfortable was my Jewish substance abuse counselor. This happened when I was 29. At first I was a Unitarian. But after several years and the result of much independant research I began to accept the divinity of Christ. I'd say there were several people and styles that helped get to where I am now.

What style of evangelism did you respond to when you became a Christian?
I was riding a horse, when a sudden flash of light...

What style do you think is the most effective now?
First, show them why they need a Savior. Then tell them who their Savior is and everything He has done for them, and what promises He has made for those who believe Him.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Straight up evangelism. My Sunday school teacher told me the truth, and having faith, I believed.

What is "straight up evangelism"?

I'm not sure what exactly is being asked. What are some types of evangelism? Are we talking about apologetics that relies mostly on reason vs. a more charismatic person who may rely on miracles vs. someone who just preaches the gospel? Any other types?

Newman

Verbal and observational example from my family and a loving church community and repeatedly hearing the Gospel. You can't scare anybody into believing.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'm thinking televangelism, church evangelism (seminars), one-on-one evangelism, internet evangelism, etc. :idunno:

Oh, I see. Well, in that case....

My personal experience is irrelevant because I grew up in a Christian home, therefore my "evangelists" were my parents. But if I'm thinking about what I like now......:idunno: I don't really know. Probably televangelism the least. Then one-on-one. Then internet and seminars. Hard to say though. I would agree with those who have said that there is a time for all of them. Different people respond to different things.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Verbal and observational example from my family and a loving church community and repeatedly hearing the Gospel. You can't scare anybody into believing.
Proverbs 9:10

10 “ The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Evangelism really didn't factor into my conversion...so I suppose I lean toward Lewis and Merton and the proponents of contemplative Christianity. :poly:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I came from a churchy background, with a church run school, much like a Catholic, yet not at all the same theology. We were taught 'religion; as a class subject; there was much that had to be learned and we were encouraged to use the English Bible.

Later, I came to argue points of scripture with my priest and later, the Bishop. We have no Pope and each Bishop is part of a communion, or commonwealth, I would not call it evangelical.

Later still, it seems my faith took on more evangelical forms, yet I remained a regular member of my church. The question is not new to me; however, I have always found it hard to answer. I am not a minister, nor a missionary and it was not until lately I have spoken much about my faith.

lucy

As a child I attended GA's or "Girls Auxillary" at a Southern Baptist Church. Part of the activities was to memorize scripture. We learned the "Roman's Road". Through scripture memorization and listening to missionary stories and other lessons from my teacher, I learned about Jesus and understood the gospel. Of course, as a child, your understanding is not always complete.

The church I grew up in was very legalistic, so it took me awhile to understand I was totally forgiven. That happened in my 20's as I was meditating on scripture, especially Romans 5:10.

I personally believe that evangelism for the average Chrisitan should be relationship based, kind of like what my teacher in GA's developed with her students. Not that everybody has to be a Sunday
School teacher, but she befriended me, talked to me, answered my questions, and basically, loved me.

I went through the Evangelism Explosion program as an adult and participated in door-to-door evangelism back in my 30's. I felt like a sales man or something. It is great to help you memorize scripture and have some good analogies for the gospel, but it is still a sale's pitch. Even if people pray to receive Christ , you leave that house and never know if those people were just praying to please you or if they really trusted Christ or what.

God has provided some really cool opportunities to share his truth with others. I find I don't have to go out and look for people to talk to. For example, one Sat. I went to get my oil changed in my car. I took along a book to read and it just happened to be "Why I am Not a Calvinist" (now don't go crazy on me, Calvinists!) and the lady sitting next to me asked what I was reading.

Oh boy, I REALLY didn't want to tell her - she'd think I was a nut! Who reads stuff like that? Anyway, I told her and we got in to a conversation about Calvinism, Arminianism different denominations, etc. then she asked me what I believed. WOW! and the little waiting room had 3-4 other people there who were actively listening and THEY got in to the conversation too. I got to explain the whole gospel story to this lady, the 3-4 customers, and the owner of the auto shop too! I had a "captive audience" as I explained we are all born sinners and and how Christ died for us to reconcile us to God etc. It was surreal! Who knew I would be a "side walk" preacher that day ha ha!

This kind of thing happens several times a year to me. God just opens the door at the weirdest times! I guess he uses me this way because he knows I'm not shy about speaking the truth to anyone. If you are willing to speak God will provide the people and the message!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.