toldailytopic: Third party candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 7th, 2010 11:05 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This one is already heating up the boards, isn't it? :plain:

I think the two party system is too entrenched and that those who turn from it will tend to turn from politics altogether. The sort of people who found and shake that movement are, to my mind, a relatively small number of ideologically disenfranchised activists. There aren't enough of those to make a real dent.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Without eliminating the electoral college third party candidates stand no real chance of success.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The sort of people who found and shake that movement are, to my mind, a relatively small number of ideologically disenfranchised activists. There aren't enough of those to make a real dent.

Wide is the pathway to destruction...

Four O'Clock

The electoral college is not the source of the problem
drb and I agree on something for a change. George Will had a very interesting article a few years ago about what election results would/could be without the EC (worth reading, could anyone with much more computer savvy than myself find it?)
The two party system is, in many ways, a joke but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Sadly, it seems like, in the last 20 or so years, it all boils down to six or seven states in deciding an election. Aren't at least 30 states a ''given'' in any election? Most candidates don't even bother to campaign in them any more.
But, IMHO, if you open up American politics to five/six/seven different parties, would we not take on a sort of European political picture? Would that be good or bad?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What he said...:plain:

Granite said, "Without eliminating the electoral college third party candidates stand no real chance of success."

And your grammar is atrocious. :plain:

I mean, you could have at least put a question mark at the end.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The electoral college is not the source of the problem

Well, then we just disagree. A third party can't mount a successful national contest without splitting a vote into a House already dominated by two major parties and third party candidates won't garner major support without a national ticket.

Newman

Any third party would have to first fill up some seats in the House. I'm pro third party. I'm sick of the false dichotomy that is Republican v. Democrat. The Libertarian party won't pick up any pro-life conservatives, and doesn't appeal to the left much, I don't think. I voted for Chuck Baldwin (Constitution Party) in the last election.

Four O'Clock

Well, then we just disagree. A third party can't mount a successful national contest without splitting a vote into a House already dominated by two major parties and third party candidates won't garner major support without a national ticket.

A good point Granite but, if we were to open the floodgates to multi-parties, would that necessarily be a positive?

By the way, you're one of my favorite posters on board here but IMHO, you should change your Carlin quote to something more meaningful. He was a cutting-edge hilarious comedian years ago who quite simply, some time ago, morphed into nothing more than a naive, left-wing moron completely out of touch with nothing more than his aging, brain-dead blather...

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 7th, 2010 11:05 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I have a feeling that if everyone who wanted to vote for a 3rd party candidate actually did make that vote, the Republicans and Democrats would have a lot less support. However, people are too caught up in not "wasting" their vote so they just vote for the person who they think is the least evil between the Republicans and Democrats. It's tragic.

:down: Two party system :down:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
drb and I agree on something for a change. George Will had a very interesting article a few years ago about what election results would/could be without the EC (worth reading, could anyone with much more computer savvy than myself find it?)
The two party system is, in many ways, a joke but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Sadly, it seems like, in the last 20 or so years, it all boils down to six or seven states in deciding an election. Aren't at least 30 states a ''given'' in any election? Most candidates don't even bother to campaign in them any more.
But, IMHO, if you open up American politics to five/six/seven different parties, would we not take on a sort of European political picture? Would that be good or bad?

Indiana was generally never in play, but became a swing state in 08.

WizardofOz

I have a feeling that if everyone who wanted to vote for a 3rd party candidate actually did make that vote, the Republicans and Democrats would have a lot less support. However, people are too caught up in not "wasting" their vote so they just vote for the person who they think is the least evil between the Republicans and Democrats. It's tragic.

:down: Two party system :down:

:thumb:

I would like to propose we officially name the above "chrysostom disorder".

The Berean

What has to change is the mindset of the American people as a whole. Many people are life long members of either the Republican or Democratic Party. They will almost always vote for their party regardless who is running. They won't even consider a third party. It's this narrow, binary mindset that has to change. I say ban all politcal parties. The last time a third party candidate was a major candidate was in 1912 with Teddy Rossevelt finishing second in the popular vote and the Electoral College.

Status
Not open for further replies.