toldailytopic: Who has influenced your theology? Who do you respect and why? Where do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 14th, 2009 10:03 AM

toldailytopic: Who has influenced your theology? Who do you respect and why? Where do you differ with them if at all?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Paul. I had been taught things in catholic church, and later Assembly of God. But it wasn't until I read the Bible myself that I said, wait a minute. Especially in Romans.

As for things like "MAD" and "Open View", I believed them before I heard the terminology on TOL.

If God knew how all the future would play out, why did he ask Adam where he was, after Adam him himself. There isn't an answer for Calvin that fits the scenario. He certainly knows what he will bring to pass, but that is a different subject.

Clete, Sozo, and STP have been influential in reaffirming what Paul taught, in that you can stop trying to please God for righteousness sake. 'Cause it aint gonna happen.

Adoration

toldailytopic: Who has influenced your theology? Who do you respect and why? Where do you differ with them if at all?

Scott Hahn. He's a former Presbyterian minister with a PhD in Divinity. He is the most clear theologian that I've ever read.

I respect the thoroughness of his research and the difficulty of his own spiritual journey. He had to give up his life's ambition in order to follow Jesus where he was leading.

His story is here:

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0088.html

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And Bob Hill. He helped cement things I think the Bible says based on what the Greek says, and how it was in context to what he was saying.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As far as the respect part: Jackson, SoJ, TH, Emeth, AA, Nori, Cattyfan, PB, Zoo, WoO ...

All of these individuals portray Christianity in a more positive light even though I don't agree with them on a *spiritual* level.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My main influences have been....

Bob Enyart
Lion
Bob Hill
C.S. Lewis

And there have been some great TOL'ers that have really helped me such as:

Chickenman
Turbo
Poly
Sozo
Godrulz (on openess)
Muz

There are others but that's the first few that came to mind.

Ecumenicist

Jesus the Christ, first and foremost.

At TOL, Logos and Balder,

Logos for the exposure he gave me to Universalist Theology, and Balder for helping bring existentialism and subjectivism together in nondualism, which applies in Theology and Psychology.

Externally, Barth, Buber, and I guess Kierkegaard.

Barth for saying that true revelation is only approachable through God,
who is revealed through Christ.

Buber for his "I and Thou" reflections on subjectivism.

Kierkegaard for the whole existentialist thing, which led to Buber, which led to non-dualism.

I would had Existentialist Psychologists like Frankl, Bugenthal, May, and Yalom, who found practical application of existential philosophy and theology. Yes, I am essentially alone and going to die, but that means here and now I am both free and alive.

assuranceagent

Wow...too many to list. If I had to narrow it down to the top three, though, they'd be the following:

1. My Grandmother - Who taught me that theology needn't be complicated and that grace is found in simplicity.
  2. David Ferguson - My first real pastor and a staunch Arminian. He became like a second father to me and was the first to proactively pursue my involvement in the work of ministry. I was a passionate Arminian for a number of years, due primarily to his influence.
  3. Tom Nelson - The single biggest influence on my theology to date. He's the pastor of Denton Bible Church in Denton, TX and a Dallas Seminary alumn. I've never had the privilege of studying under a more gifted, more cogent, or more biblically sound teacher in all my life as a Christian. His weekly messages are podcasted under Denton Bible Church or available on the Denton Bible Church media ministry website. He's also written a number of publications, including highly respected studies on the Song of Solomon and Ecclesiastes. I can't say enough about the man.

Sozo again

I really know very few writers who maintain a consistent flow of thought. To mention the Biblical authors is just another way of saying I've learned a great deal from God.

However, of those published authors, I've learned a little from...

Tozer
Murray
Augustine
Luther
William Law
Dave Hunt
Edwards
Morris
Gilquist
Major Ian Thomas
Watchman Nee
Malcolm Smith
C.S. Lewis
Gillham
Hodges
many others

Then there are those here who have fine tuned some things...

Turbo
chickenman
StP
Knight
elohiym
Lion
voltaire
assuranceageant
OEJ
John w
Vaquero45

Honestly, most of these people on TOL have a better understanding of the Gospel than most theologians I've read, having studied literally hundreds of them.

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
My husband - he's a clear thinker and has listened to the equivalent of hundreds of theology books via podcast. Through him, I've learned to not make assertions I can't back up.

My 21 year-old son - he's his dad on steroids. Remembers practically everything he hears or reads - and he's heard and read a lot, especially theology. I benefit tremendously from his discussions with his dad.

Michael Horton

R.C. Sproul

Greg Koukl

The late Walter Martin (in the early years)

Dwight Pentecost (Dr. P), a beloved friend, because of his pastor's heart and humble spirit, even though I disagree with him on doctrine

Son of Jack

Lewis has been the thinker that has most influenced my theological approach. I also enjoy Schaeffer, Athanasius, Justin Martyr, Augustine, Aquinas, Anslem, Luther and Calvin, Geisler, Pascal, Millard Erickson, John Stott, Austin Farrer, and Wayne Grudem. There are many I'm forgetting. I'll add them as they come to mind.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

:think: I've read several theology books but most haven't been by any well known theologians. Just various people. Brian Vickers is one author whose book I enjoyed.

I can name several TOLers though. Some more than others but in no really particular order....

elohiym - for various topics, particularly his views on Jesus' atonement and Christians sinning

Sozo - again, various topics, particularly regarding Christians, sin, and their standing with God

genuineoriginal - various topics, a lot to do with OT and prophecy

sentientsynth - had some good discussions with him regarding MAD

seekinganswers - anything he talks about, mostly the atonement

:STP: - do I even need to tell you?? MAD

Pierac - non-trinity/Jesus != God views

jeremysdemo - various topics

godrulz - non-MAD, pentecostal/charismatic

the_muz - non-MAD

MindonFire - when he would actually give you clear answers. :doh:

I know there are some other older TOLers that I'm forgetting.

Some newer people I like to keep an eye on...

Selaphiel
Alate One
Bubba Switzler

drbrumley

Acts912out
Bob Hill
Knight
Lion
Turbo
Clete
Sozo in his many incarnations
Elohiym
Elected4Ever (dad) :D
Bob Enyart
Adrian Rodgers
Charles Baker

This is no particular order.

Just want to say thanks to those above. I know I am missing a couple folks. Forgive me

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Probably Lewis more than any other theologian...M. Scott Peck was important in altering my perception of religion outside of a sociological perspective and Boethius, of course, was influential in providing an intellectual framework for considering a number of theological issues through his Consolation. I've gotten a great deal else and received interesting instruction and guidance from a number of you here, but it begins with Lewis, Peck and Boethius for me.

elohiym

When I first became a Christian, i.e. joined a Christian fellowship, I chose membership in the Seventh-day Adventist Church. After immersing myself in their doctrines and commentaries, and the writings of their false prophet Ellen White, I finally came to the realization that I was in a cult, a dangerous cult.

After leaving the Adventist church, I remained dubious of man's commentaries on the word of God, and I resolved to allow God to teach me through His Holy Spirit sans commentaries and fellowship. I praise God that I grew in understanding of His word, and can say without doubt that God has been the single greatest influence on my theology (John 6:45).

Because of my experience with Adventism, I never read any of the authors and theologians some here have mentioned, save one, but I already knew what he was sharing. I read a little bit of Justin Martyr, too, but wasn't influenced by him. Other than the authors of the Bible, for much of my Christian experience, I feel I was beyond the influence of the commentators. I consider myself blessed for that reason.

Through fellowship on TOL, I have been influenced in one way or another, theologically and philosophically, by a number of people. Since I don't want to accidentally leave someone out, I will intentionally mention just two for reasons that will be apparent. The rest of you probably know who you are, and I thank you for helping me grow, too.

Without Knight I would not have been influenced through TOL because TOL would not exist. So in that sense, he has been one of the greatest influences in my theological development. God has used him mightily as a vessel for His glory through this forum ministry. His positions on judging and capital punishment are just two ways he's influenced my theology.

Perhaps the greatest influence on my theology, occurring six years ago, resulted from reading the posts of the one here best known as Sozo. God had shown me so much through my personal studies of the word, but when I read Sozo's views on the gospel and salvation everything I already knew came together for me, finally making sense, and I was subsequently converted.

Thunder's Muse

Well, being a new Christian, I am yet to discover the great theology writers you are all discussing (although, that will change next year!). However, there are some on TOL who have influenced me greatly and were instrumental to my decision:

assuranceagent
Town Heretic
Son of Jack
Jackson
John Mortimer
elohiym
The Berean
Arthur Brain

...words cannot express how grateful I am that God brought you into my life.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Scott Hahn. He's a former Presbyterian minister with a PhD in Divinity.

For the record,

Despite his claims, Scott Hahn was ordained by two ruling elders of a small theonomic congregation which has dissolved and no presbytery was involved. He was never an ordained pastor in the OPC or the PCA, nor any of the so-called micro-denominations of Presbyterianism. It was just within that one small congregation where he was thus recognized as ordained. Anyone claiming Presbyterian ordination would have to show presbytery examination and subsequent assent and then entry on the rolls, which Hahn has none. Bottom line, Presbyterians are not congregationalists and there is more to claiming Presbyterian ordination than the laying on of hands of two elders. He is free to claim ordained ministership, but not Presbyterian ordination.

That said, no one can dispute his fine academic credentials. ;)

AMR

Status
Not open for further replies.