toldailytopic: What is the proper role of government?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 30th, 2009 10:19 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
In a nutshell....

The proper role of government is providing:

- National Defense
- Infrastructure
- Criminal Justice

Punisher1984

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 30th, 2009 10:19 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Common order and common defense - and nothing else.

antiknight

The government should insulate the people from capitalist greed. If that doesn't happen corporations will eventually hold all the money.

elohiym

The government should insulate the people from capitalist greed. If that doesn't happen corporations will eventually hold all the money.

Corporations do hold all the money.

Guess you haven't noticed the move towards global governance through corporatism either.

True capitalism doesn't exist.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In a nutshell....

The proper role of government is providing:

- National Defense
- Infrastructure
- Criminal Justice

Deuteronomy 20

Defense needs to actually be war, because government should also run over other states that are evil.

10 “When you go near a city to fight against it, then proclaim an offer of peace to it. 11 And it shall be that if they accept your offer of peace, and open to you, then all the people who are found in it shall be placed under tribute to you, and serve you. 12 Now if the city will not make peace with you, but war against you, then you shall besiege it. 13 And when the LORD your God delivers it into your hands, you shall strike every male in it with the edge of the sword. 14 But the women, the little ones, the livestock, and all that is in the city, all its spoil, you shall plunder for yourself; and you shall eat the enemies’ plunder which the LORD your God gives you. 15 Thus you shall do to all the cities which are very far from you, which are not of the cities of these nations.
16 “But of the cities of these peoples which the LORD your God gives you as an inheritance, you shall let nothing that breathes remain alive, 17 but you shall utterly destroy them: the Hittite and the Amorite and the Canaanite and the Perizzite and the Hivite and the Jebusite, just as the LORD your God has commanded you, 18 lest they teach you to do according to all their abominations which they have done for their gods, and you sin against the LORD your God.

For all those that think God had Israel pillage nations for no reason.

Deueteronomy 19

1 “When the LORD your God has cut off the nations whose land the LORD your God is giving you, and you dispossess them and dwell in their cities and in their houses, 2 you shall separate three cities for yourself in the midst of your land which the LORD your God is giving you to possess. 3 You shall prepare roads for yourself, and divide into three parts the territory of your land which the LORD your God is giving you to inherit, that any manslayer may flee there.

Romans 13

3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. 4 For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. 5 Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake. 6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God’s ministers attending continually to this very thing. 7 Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor.

Granite

Hall of Fame
As far as the feds go...

Provide for national defense, some national infrastructure (highways, etc.), and courts.

The states can fill in the blanks from there.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
As an enthusiastic member of our Republic I recognize the government is only an extension of our collective will and should be utilized in that fashion. There are any number of things (though by no means all or most) we can do better by sharing responsibility and resources than we could do as individuals. When one man's house is ablaze every man's home is threatened.

antiknight

As an enthusiastic member of our Republic I recognize the government is only an extension of our collective will and should be utilized in that fashion. There are any number of things (though by no means all or most) we can do better by sharing responsibility and resources than we could do as individuals. When one man's house is ablaze every man's home is threatened.
Good post. The government should work to equalize the living conditions of every man woman and child.

There needs to be an "overseer" to redistribute the pockets of wealth that develop when things go unrestricted.

elohiym

As far as the feds go...

Provide for national defense, some national infrastructure (highways, etc.), and courts.

And the money to pay for all that comes from......?

Right. The government also needs to provide a currency.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Currency is part of infrustructure.

Government creating corporations is not a part of either the justice system, infrustructure, or common defense. So any talk involving corps is outside of what government should do.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Good post. The government should work to equalize the living conditions of every man woman and child.
You might also want to point out how what I wrote indicates there are necessarily elements missing from the periodic table...:plain:
There needs to be an "overseer" to redistribute the pockets of wealth that develop when things go unrestricted.
Rather, when one household fails a good neighbor may offer a shoulder to help sustain it. When a neighborhood fails a city might provide some assistance and so on. The tragically funny thing is that many of the people who decry government assistance on any level are only arguing against there own impulse in the more limited and particular...:think:...unless they're sociopaths.

...so there's that.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
∅2L84U;2207171 said:
Shelter me
Feed me
Edgukate me
Clothe me
Bathe me
Heal me
Wipe my butt
Take me to Disneyworld

:baby:

Matthew 25:35-46

Though in fairness I don't recall ever reading anything about your butt or Disneyworld in there and education was a given at least as it related to the Holy. :poly:

Status
Not open for further replies.