toldailytopic: What is the meaning of life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

toldailytopic: What is the meaning of life?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Last edited:

Evoken

A twist to this question would be: Why did God make you?

I would answer that it was to know, love and serve Him in this world and to be happy with Him forever in the next.

Memento Mori

You mean aside from constantly trying to ruin your forum with useless posts? -[insert heretics name here] :chuckle:

I don't believe there is one personally. Many Christians will say it is to serve God or do His biding. But I disagree. It seems to me an omniscient ever-benevolent Being could do His or Her own biding without our help.

Really, everyone should just decide for themselves what they wish to accomplish in life and go for it (assuming we're all good people). If you want to follow to the tooth and nail an ancient book, that's great. I'd prefer to do something a bit more fulfilling to me. Also, this isn't to say that either is mutually exclusive but one will trump the other.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

I would answer that it was to know, love and serve Him in this world and to be happy with Him forever in the next.

That is indeed the meaning of life - in one sentence. :thumb:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My one word answer...

The meaning of life is: relationships.

God created us to have a loving relationship with Him and others.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Since God is relational the meaning of life is the same meaning and purpose as you will find in a loving relationship between two humans. That is to increase the pleasure of the one you love. To think that we insignificant pieces of dust have the power to increase the pleasure of the Creator of the universe is too wonderful of an opportunity to pass up.

Why would God care that His pleasure is increased? God is personal just like we are. God wants His pleasure increased for the same reason you want your pleasure increased. Perfectly happy people get married to increase their pleasure in life. Perfectly happy couples have children to increase their pleasure in life. God was perfectly happy before He created the angels and man. But He, being personal like we are, was still capable of increasing His pleasure.

Only open theists are capable of experiencing the purpose of life this side of heaven because only open theists believe God can change including the change God experiences when His pleasure is increased.

Every day I wake up, my goal is to make sure God's pleasure is greater by the end of the day than it otherwise would be because of my actions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

But why would God care that we know, love and serve Him in this world and why would He care that we are happy with Him forever in the next?

Aimiel

I believe that God created everything to bring praise to His Son. I believe that telling about Jesus is the reason men were created. We're the light of the world. His Word is The Only Light within men. Without Him we are in darkness. He is The Light. He lives in us. :thumb:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
See post #7.

Why? Because God is LOVE. He created us in His image, to LOVE us. Not just affectionately, but passionately. He desires us, He searches for us, the Shepherd who leaves His flock to find us and carry us home on His shoulders, the Bridegroom who is captivated by His bride, the Seeker Who knocks at our door. We don't seek Him, He first has searched for, and loved us, eternally.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I believe that God created everything to bring praise to His Son. I believe that telling about Jesus is the reason men were created. We're the light of the world. His Word is The Only Light within men. Without Him we are in darkness. He is The Light. He lives in us. :thumb:
But why does God want to see His Son praised?

Aimiel

I don't know, humility, maybe? He chose to magnify His Word even above all of His Own Name.

Aimiel

Why? Because God is LOVE. He created us in His image, to LOVE us. Not just affectionately, but passionately. He desires us, He searches for us, the Shepherd who leaves His flock to find us and carry us home on His shoulders, the Bridegroom who is captivated by His bride, the Seeker Who knocks at our door. We don't seek Him, He first has searched for, and loved us, eternally.
I agree. I believe that we're cherished and reverenced, far beyond the love that we feel for God. He longs to spend time with us and be in our presence, far more than we desire to be in His.

Aimiel

There. I finally got to give the answer in a thread before anyone else. The answer to the ultimate question, about life, the universe and everything is: forty-two. Now. What is the question? :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.