A TOL paradox: I'm new here, but I'm not new

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kara Kent

My memory isn't trustworthy and I've changed e-mail addys quite a few times in the last 10+ years since I first joined TOL. So I can't access my old usernames--don't know that I want to anyways.

Usernames I recall:
Lightbearer
Tal DeYonghe
Mara

I am the wife of Brother Vinny. We have three children. Rebecca is 10 years old and will be 11 in two months. But I swear some days it feels like she is 10 going on 16. :bang: Bobby is just turned 8 last month. And Rachel is 6. Her birthday is in November.

My interests, probably more like seasonal obsessions, usually involving history of some sort. Currently I'm studying the Titanic and her sister-ships by the White Star Line. It's not the first time I've picked up this topic over the years, and it likely won't be the last.

I've also picked up the Smallville TV series. When it was on TV I watched most of the first two seasons then life got in the way. Well on May30 my husband got Season 7 on DVD for his birthday. Well after we watched that, we had to play catch-up with the other Seasons. Then Season 8 comes out on August 25th, and Season 9 premieres on TV on September 25. Chloe is my favorite permanent character, and Kara Kent and Clark Kent tie for second.

Okay, I've got to scoot. Rebecca has a doctor check-up in half-hour. When I return, I'll finish this. I still want to tell you about theology and my beliefs. So stay tuned... ;)

Kara Kent

Okay, I'll finish this. But I get the impression that I'm boring you, so I'll be as brief as possible.

I was raised Southern Baptist, politically and morally conservative. I've studied Lordship Salvation and the alternative, Gnostism (IIRC) or "easy believe-ism." I seem to fall somewhere in the middle.

I tried to embrace Open Theism, but my prayer life suffers for it. For the sake of points of theology, I could easily see both side.

Mid-Act Dispensationalism. That's one that got me. :D But my Southern Baptist pastor planted the seeds for that one.

I lean toward a Young Earth Creation. I feel that the age we see around us is due to the effects of the flood and some due to the impact man has made on earth. However, It's not an important issue with me.

I believe to be absent from the body is to be present with our Lord. Beyond that, I'll leave the details of my future to Him.

I do believe that we have an unconditional covenant with God and nothing can separate us from His love.

Well I guess I'm done here. Pretty boring, huh? I don't have the sanguinity creativity my husband does (of course it gets him into trouble sometimes, though ;)). So I guess unless someone wants to ask me something, I guess I'll move on to another section. :)

allsmiles

Okay, I'll finish this. But I get the impression that I'm boring you, so I'll be as brief as possible.

I was raised Southern Baptist, politically and morally conservative. I've studied Lordship Salvation and the alternative, Gnostism (IIRC) or "easy believe-ism." I seem to fall somewhere in the middle.

I tried to embrace Open Theism, but my prayer life suffers for it. For the sake of points of theology, I could easily see both side.

Mid-Act Dispensationalism. That's one that got me. :D But my Southern Baptist pastor planted the seeds for that one.

I lean toward a Young Earth Creation. I feel that the age we see around us is due to the effects of the flood and some due to the impact man has made on earth. However, It's not an important issue with me.

I believe to be absent from the body is to be present with our Lord. Beyond that, I'll leave the details of my future to Him.

I do believe that we have an unconditional covenant with God and nothing can separate us from His love.

Well I guess I'm done here. Pretty boring, huh? I don't have the sanguinity creativity my husband does (of course it gets him into trouble sometimes, though ;)). So I guess unless someone wants to ask me something, I guess I'll move on to another section. :)

:wave2:

Hello nice lady!

Boring is kind of a negative way to look at it. I say, no news is good news!

Besides, excitement is overrated.

I make it a point to avoid doing things.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Welcome...again. :think:

There is no shortage of interesting perspective around here. I find ideas like MAD both interesting and challenging. Agree or not they'll have you dusting off your old familiarity and looking into scripture with a fresh perspective. That's always a good thing.

:e4e:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Welcome, Kara Kent! Looking forward to seeing more posts from you, too!

AMR

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hi. :wave:

I had a couple of other user names as well... :think:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
we need new people

to remind us that TOL does not represent a typical cross section of our world

and it should not become our world

dodge

Definately NOT boring. It is always a blessing to see anothers confidence and faith in the sufficient and finished work of Jesus.

Kara Kent

Hi Tal! :wave: Don't know if you remember me or not. :)

I do indeed remember you, friend. :wave: See ya around. :)

BigJohnson said:
Kara Kent, are you a Smallville fan?

Smallville and House MD are the only shows I watch here recently. As I said in my first post, Chloe is my favorite character. But I figured with her being a pushy investigative reporter; it wouldn't portray me very well. Lana Lang's personality probably fits me better but I'm tired of the whole Klana thing. So Kara Kent it is. :)

To bucksplasher:

Actually, it's interesting. I grew up being told how wrong Catholics were. But actually hearing about their beliefs from the source; I don't really see it that way anymore. I've come to respect their worship style and beliefs, I just don't see eye-to-eye on all of them. My husband is very special to me and I wouldn't trade him for anyone else on this rock. :D

And to the rest:

Thanks for your warm welcome as well. :)

Well, seeing as I just posted into the next day, I suppose I ought to go to bed. So without further ado. :grave: (love the smilies here)

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hey there! :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.