PDA

View Full Version : Joel Osteen is a Despicable Disgrace

Poly
March 31st, 2016, 11:31 AM

"You've been criticized for 'Church lite,' for 'a cotton candy message,'" said Smith. "Do you feel like you're cheating people by not telling them about the Hell part? Or repentance part?"
"No, I really don't, because it's a different approach," Osteen replied. "You know, it's not hellfire and brimstone. But I say most people are beaten down enough by life. They already feel guilty enough. They're not doing what they should, raising their kids -- you know, we can all find reasons. So I want them to come to Lakewood or our meetings and be lifted up, to say, 'You know what? I may not be perfect, but I'm moving forward. I'm doing better.' And I think that motivates you to do better."

Full Article (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-positivity-of-joel-osteen/)

Joel Osteen doesn’t believe in telling people they should repent. He would rather hold their hands on their way to hell and “tickle their ears” instead. But hey, whatever gets him the big bucks, right? Shame on you, Joel Osteen. Repent of misleading others of what the gospel really even means as if Christ’s undeserved sacrifice and what it really meant is irrelevant in even allowing for a person’s only hope for salvation in the first place.

Jeremiah 25:5 “...‘Repent now everyone of his evil way and his evil doings,”

Ezekiel 14:6 “Therefore say to the house of Israel, ‘Thus says the Lord God: “Repent, turn away from your idols, and turn your faces away from all your abominations.”

Ezekiel 18:30 “Repent, and turn from all your transgressions, so that iniquity will not be your ruin.”

Joel 2:12 “Now, therefore,” says the Lord, “Turn to Me with all your heart, With fasting, with weeping, and with mourning.”

Matthew 3:2 ““Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!”

Mark 2:17 “I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

Luke 3:3 “And he went into all the region around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins,”

Luke 15:10 “Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

Luke 24:47 “and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.”

Acts 2:38 “Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins...”

Acts 3:19 “Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.”

Ezekiel 14:6 “Therefore say to the house of Israel, ‘Thus says the Lord God: “Repent, turn away from your idols, and turn your faces away from all your abominations.”

Ezekiel 18:30 “Repent, and turn from all your transgressions, so that iniquity will not be your ruin.”

User Name
March 31st, 2016, 11:42 AM
Repentance is a work. We are not called to work. Just believe. Believe, and rest.

jamie
March 31st, 2016, 12:05 PM
Repentance is a work. We are not called to work. Just believe. Believe, and rest.

Is that because we will be rewarded for how rested we are? (Matthew 16:27)

theophilus
March 31st, 2016, 12:07 PM
Poly,

60 Minutes did an interview on him last Sunday night and I had to set a bucket next to my recliner.

Sherman
March 31st, 2016, 01:24 PM
Joel Osteen's theology---> :vomit:

theophilus
March 31st, 2016, 01:26 PM
Joel Osteen's theology---> :vomit:

Exactly!

Poly
March 31st, 2016, 01:38 PM

You're working when you believe something. To believe in something you have to weigh options. In doing this, you're considering, "Is this true? Is this not true?" In doing this, there is logic that is being considered to come to your conclusion. Definitely can't deny there's some work involved here.

Sherman
March 31st, 2016, 01:39 PM
Exactly!I am pretty sure that Christians from many different denominations find him distasteful. He markets a lazy kind of Christianity that does not require telling people they should repent. It smacks of universalism.

Grosnick Marowbe
March 31st, 2016, 01:39 PM
Honey drips from this man's lips and gold drips into his coffers.

SaulToPaul
March 31st, 2016, 01:41 PM
What do you mean by "telling people they need to repent"?

HisServant
March 31st, 2016, 01:42 PM
He is making a darn good living out of it... that is all you need to know about him.

theophilus
March 31st, 2016, 01:53 PM
He is making a darn good living out of it... that is all you need to know about him.

So he has his reward.

Ktoyou
March 31st, 2016, 03:10 PM
I never heard of him, until I looked him up.

"Osteen has also stressed that he does not approve of "homophobia," but that his faith is based on his reading of the Scriptures."

He is a PC Christian, ................wonderful:mmph:

Totton Linnet
March 31st, 2016, 04:02 PM

resting or abiding in Christ would seem to be the most difficult discipline

patrick jane
March 31st, 2016, 04:08 PM

"Osteen has also stressed that he does not approve of "homophobia," but that his faith is based on his reading of the Scriptures."

you never heard of him ? he's huge !!!

Nick M
March 31st, 2016, 04:17 PM

Usually what the Lord Jesus Christ meant, to change their ways. Turn over a new leaf. Most don't mean what Paul meant, change your mind about God.

User Name
March 31st, 2016, 04:43 PM

"Therefore they said to Him, What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent." John 6:28-29

"Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness." Rom 4:4-5

Lazy afternoon
March 31st, 2016, 05:11 PM

Full Article (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-positivity-of-joel-osteen/)

Joel Osteen doesn’t believe in telling people they should repent. He would rather hold their hands on their way to hell and “tickle their ears” instead. But hey, whatever gets him the big bucks, right? Shame on you, Joel Osteen. Repent of misleading others of what the gospel really even means as if Christ’s undeserved sacrifice and what it really meant is irrelevant in even allowing for a person’s only hope for salvation in the first place.

Joel 2:12 “Now, therefore,” says the Lord, “Turn to Me with all your heart, With fasting, with weeping, and with mourning.”

Matthew 3:2 ““Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!”

Mark 2:17 “I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

Luke 3:3 “And he went into all the region around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins,”

Luke 15:10 “Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

Luke 24:47 “and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.”

Acts 2:38 “Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins...”

Acts 3:19 “Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.”

I would not condemn Osteen for preaching part of the full council of God.

I do not see many condemning those who preach the fire and brimstone part.

LA

jamie
March 31st, 2016, 05:17 PM
"Therefore they said to Him, What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent." John 6:28-29

This is the work of God that you believe on him he has sent. Jesus said this to unbelievers who did not believe on him.
There is no faith without believe.

jamie
March 31st, 2016, 05:28 PM
"Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness." Rom 4:4-5

Paul preached against the premise that human works (works of the flesh) were of benefit to God. However, we received Jesus' grace so that we may work his works. (Ephesians 2:10)

Choleric
March 31st, 2016, 05:30 PM
You're working when you believe something. To believe in something you have to weigh options. In doing this, you're considering, "Is this true? Is this not true?" In doing this, there is logic that is being considered to come to your conclusion. Definitely can't deny there's some work involved here.

Believing is not a work. We know that because we are told we are saved "without works".

Repentance is an often misunderstood word. We often subconsciously insert (from sin) into our reading when that is wrong. God repented several times.

Repent is to change your mind about something. I repented of being single when I got married. I repented of my diet when I ate a full order of cheese fries etc.

Repentance from sin is a work and is not the gospel. We are told specifically in the scripture what we are repenting from and what we are repenting toward.

We repent from "dead works." (Hen 6:1) This is basically us laying down our pitiful efforts at saving ourselves, (i.e. Law Keeping, sabbath observance etc). All our efforts to save ourselves are dead works. (Heb 9:14)

We repent toward God. (Acts 20:21) That is throwing ourselves on His mercy.

Saving repentance is not a work. It is changing who you are trusting for your salvation.

john w
March 31st, 2016, 05:37 PM

Yes, Mayor.

Unpack it for us. Many of us, are suspecting that when some members use the word "repent," their definition of repent, is in the context of "turning from your sins....stop sinning....," as a basis for justification, which is perverting the gospel of Christ. Both the Mayor, and I, and others(?), want to know if we are "on the same team" as you.

john w
March 31st, 2016, 05:38 PM
Believing is not a work. We know that because we are told we are saved "without works".

Repentance is an often misunderstood word. We often subconsciously insert (from sin) into our reading when that is wrong. God repented several times.

Repent is to change your mind about something. I repented of being single when I got married. I repented of my diet when I ate a full order of cheese fries etc.

Repentance from sin is a work and is not the gospel. We are told specifically in the scripture what we are repenting from and what we are repenting toward.

We repent from "dead works." (Hen 6:1) This is basically us laying down our pitiful efforts at saving ourselves, (i.e. Law Keeping, sabbath observance etc). All our efforts to save ourselves are dead works. (Heb 9:14)

We repent toward God. (Acts 20:21) That is throwing ourselves on His mercy.

Saving repentance is not a work. It is changing who you are trusting for your salvation.

"...Thou hast spoken well..."

Judas repented.

ClimateSanity
March 31st, 2016, 05:43 PM
I am pretty sure that Christians from many different denominations find him distasteful. He markets a lazy kind of Christianity that does not require telling people they should repent. It smacks of universalism.

Changing your behavior comes after salvation and not before it. Actions stem from the heart. Only God can change the heart. As a personal example, I am doing something today that I've heard preached over and over but decided it was not for me and even if it was, I wanted no part of it.

musterion
March 31st, 2016, 05:49 PM
Osteen's dad was still pretty big on TV when I was a kid. He was some kind of Baptist preacher who went full-blown charismatic at some point. No wonder his boy is as doctrinally messed up as he is.

User Name
March 31st, 2016, 07:17 PM
Paul preached against the premise that human works (works of the flesh) were of benefit to God. However, we received Jesus' grace so that we may work his works. (Ephesians 2:10)

And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. (Romans 11:6)

Danoh
March 31st, 2016, 08:50 PM
I prefer hearing Tony Robbins :chuckle:

jamie
March 31st, 2016, 09:24 PM
And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. (Romans 11:6)

In this context the works Paul referred to were works of the law. Paul said over and over that salvation was not by works of the law.
(Romans 9:32)

Choleric
April 7th, 2016, 07:24 AM
In this context the works Paul referred to were works of the law. Paul said over and over that salvation was not by works of the law.
(Romans 9:32)

Salvation is not by any good works of ours at all, not even loving your neighbor or loving God. Tit 3:5

There is no life any human (except Jesus) has ever lived that was worthy of heaven. It is only by Gods grace and mercy that any enter in.

TulipBee
April 7th, 2016, 08:17 AM
I prefer hearing Tony Robbins :chuckle:
I think Tony Robbins got in trouble with the laws. Isn't Osteen doing the same thing Tony did?

TulipBee
April 7th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Repentance is a work of God. God inspires repentance. God caused it. If the big crowd has no repentance then God is letting them run the show on thier own. Intensive positive thinking can be an illusion. Of course they feel good beliveing in good fables. It's like a good movie but it's still a movie

SaulToPaul
April 7th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Joel has a great 'fro, and I heard he can bench press 300 lbs.

Right Divider
April 7th, 2016, 11:54 AM

I think that you mean PC "Christian"... :thumb:

PneumaPsucheSoma
April 8th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Faith is a noun. It comes by hearing. Hearing is a noun. Neither are verbs, though there are verbs for believing and hearing.

Until English speakers fully understand the difference between Greek articular and anarthrous nouns relative to English definite and indefinite article nouns (which are often presumed to be verbs), they cannot and will not understand the Gospel.

Bright Raven
April 8th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Does he preach Jesus and Him crucified?

Right Divider
April 9th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Does he preach Jesus and Him crucified?
He's more of a "Jesus wants you to be rich" kind of a guy.