PDA

View Full Version : Christ is the end of the law (religion) for righteousness...

Robert Pate
March 22nd, 2016, 07:38 AM
"For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4.

The reason that Christ is the end of the law for righteousness is because he fulfilled it then he abolished it.

"Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in the ordinances" Ephesians 2:15.

"Blotting out the handwriting of the ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us , and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross" Colossians 2:14.

"For as Many as are of the works of the law are under a curse" Galatians 3:10.

"But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God" Galatians 3:11.

The words law and religion mean the same thing. When one is doing their religion they are doing the law. When one is doing the law they are doing their religion. The law covers every facet of ones life. The Jews took the commandments and the ordinances and came up with over 600 rules for holy living which they called the Torah. Jesus condemned them for doing that.

Paul said the Galatians that wanted to live by the law, "Tell me that you desire to be under the law DO YOU NOT HEAR THE LAW?" Galatians 4:21. The law demands perfection. James said that if you fail in one point of the law you have failed the whole thing, James 2:10. Those that want to live according to the law and the commandments believe that they can please God by their obedience and their works. This kind of thinking is anti-Gospel and anti-Christ. God only accepts the works and the obedience of Jesus Christ. We are saved by being "In Christ". In the judgment if you are not found to be "In Christ" you will perish. To be "In Christ" means that you are trusting in his righteousness and in his atonement for your sins and not in your doctrine or your religion.

jamie
March 22nd, 2016, 09:19 AM
"For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4.

Yes, Christ is the goal of the law for righteousness, that's why the law was given. We should all be Christ-like.

jamie
March 22nd, 2016, 09:23 AM
The reason that Christ is the end of the law for righteousness is because he fulfilled it then he abolished it.

How could he abolish a law that didn't belong to him? Liars will suffer the second death. (Revelation 21:8)

genuineoriginal
March 22nd, 2016, 11:58 AM
Ephesians 2:11-16
11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
It is the enmity between Jews and Gentiles that was abolished.

Any enmity against the Law is enmity against the giver of that Law, God Himself.

Robert Pate
March 22nd, 2016, 12:02 PM
Yes, Christ is the goal of the law for righteousness, that's why the law was given. We should all be Christ-like.

You can never be like Christ because you are a sinner, Romans 3:10.

Robert Pate
March 22nd, 2016, 12:04 PM
Ephesians 2:11-16
11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
It is the enmity between Jews and Gentiles that was abolished.

Any enmity against the Law is enmity against the giver of that Law, God Himself.

It doesn't say that. What it says is that the law was abolished.

genuineoriginal
March 22nd, 2016, 12:23 PM
It doesn't say that. What it says is that the law was abolished.
You need to go back to school.

http://cdn.ymaservices.com/editorial_service/media/images/000/093/902/compressed/zoolander6.jpg?1427991993

Jer17.5Ps50-Mt543
March 22nd, 2016, 12:40 PM
0:4.

[B]"Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in the ordinances" Ephesians 2:15.

n.

i wonder what Bible you use? or should i say "what bible you use" because something about these psgs you site doesn't sound exactly right. I will try to check them in my own Bible, but putting all that aside 4 now

Why do you always address this issue of religion? Ever wondered about the psychology behind that? Why do you spend your time trying to destroy what u derisively call Religion??

hmmmm... I wonder what your Rorschach test results look like... hmmmm

:think:

SaulToPaul
March 22nd, 2016, 01:16 PM
i wonder what Bible you use? or should i say "what bible you use" because something about these psgs you site doesn't sound exactly right.

God's word, straight from the KJB ,will do that to a catholic...

Robert Pate
March 22nd, 2016, 02:46 PM
i wonder what Bible you use? or should i say "what bible you use" because something about these psgs you site doesn't sound exactly right. I will try to check them in my own Bible, but putting all that aside 4 now

Why do you always address this issue of religion? Ever wondered about the psychology behind that? Why do you spend your time trying to destroy what u derisively call Religion??

hmmmm... I wonder what your Rorschach test results look like... hmmmm

:think:

Religion is anti-Gospel and anti-Christ.

I love the Gospel because it is the Gospel that saved me.

I will defend it until the day that I die.

jamie
March 22nd, 2016, 04:16 PM
You can never be like Christ because you are a sinner, Romans 3:10.

I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. (Jesus)

Bociferous
March 22nd, 2016, 05:34 PM

But in another thread don't you note we're saved by what we believe? Does belief factor into eternal or temporal salvation?

CherubRam
March 22nd, 2016, 06:24 PM

"Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in the ordinances" Ephesians 2:15.

"Blotting out the handwriting of the ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us , and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross" Colossians 2:14.

"For as Many as are of the works of the law are under a curse" Galatians 3:10.

"But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God" Galatians 3:11.

The words law and religion mean the same thing. When one is doing their religion they are doing the law. When one is doing the law they are doing their religion. The law covers every facet of ones life. The Jews took the commandments and the ordinances and came up with over 600 rules for holy living which they called the Torah. Jesus condemned them for doing that.

Paul said the Galatians that wanted to live by the law, "Tell me that you desire to be under the law DO YOU NOT HEAR THE LAW?" Galatians 4:21. The law demands perfection. James said that if you fail in one point of the law you have failed the whole thing, James 2:10. Those that want to live according to the law and the commandments believe that they can please God by their obedience and their works. This kind of thinking is anti-Gospel and anti-Christ. God only accepts the works and the obedience of Jesus Christ. We are saved by being "In Christ". In the judgment if you are not found to be "In Christ" you will perish. To be "In Christ" means that you are trusting in his righteousness and in his atonement for your sins and not in your doctrine or your religion.

Enmity means "hostility."

Romans 8:7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Romans 10:4 NIV
4 Christ is the (culmination / fulfillment) of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.
Ephesians 2:15
Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Ephesians 2:16
And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

James 4:4
Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Hostility towards the laws of God is what has been abolished.

Christians often refer to Ephesians 2:15 in the N.I.V. as proof that the commandments have been done away with.

Ephesians 2:15 N.I.V.: by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations.

Ephesians 2:15 King James. Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances;.
Note:The word [enmity] in the K.J. means hostility.

(Ephesians 2:15 (a modern translation.) by abolishing in his flesh the hostility of the law with its commandments and regulations.

Jesus said in Matthew 5:17: Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets...

genuineoriginal
March 23rd, 2016, 05:13 AM

Christians often refer to Ephesians 2:15 in the N.I.V. as proof that the commandments have been done away with.

Ephesians 2:15 N.I.V.: by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations.

Ephesians 2:15 King James. Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances;.

Note: The word [enmity] in the K.J. means hostility.

Too many people stop there, as if Paul was not known for making many side remarks before getting to the point.

The point is "for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;" which shows that the enmity is between the two groups of people, Jews and Gentiles, not between man and the commandments.

Robert Pate
March 23rd, 2016, 11:01 AM
Enmity means "hostility."

Romans 8:7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Romans 10:4 NIV
4 Christ is the (culmination / fulfillment) of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.
Ephesians 2:15
Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Ephesians 2:16
And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

James 4:4
Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Note:The word [enmity] in the K.J. means hostility.

(Ephesians 2:15 (a modern translation.) by abolishing in his flesh the hostility of the law with its commandments and regulations.

Jesus said in Matthew 5:17: Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets...

To be under the law is to be under condemnation.

This is why Jesus abolished the law. It is contrary to us, no one can keep it or do it.

"Blotting out the handwriting of the ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way , nailing it to his cross" Colossians 2:14.

Robert Pate
March 23rd, 2016, 11:05 AM
But in another thread don't you note we're saved by what we believe? Does belief factor into eternal or temporal salvation?

We are saved by the doing and the dying of Jesus.

Our faith is what makes the Gospel ours.

beloved57
March 26th, 2016, 01:35 AM
We are saved by the doing and the dying of Jesus.

Promoting salvation by works, by what a person does, thus dismissing Salvation by what Christ did alone !

beloved57
March 26th, 2016, 01:36 AM
pate

Invalid comment not found in scripture !

keypurr
March 26th, 2016, 10:00 PM
To be under the law is to be under condemnation.

This is why Jesus abolished the law. It is contrary to us, no one can keep it or do it.

"Blotting out the handwriting of the ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way , nailing it to his cross" Colossians 2:14.

Jesus NEVER abolished the Ten. The Law is written in our hearts and kept in the spirit.

The handwritten laws were abolished. The 600+

jamie
March 26th, 2016, 10:48 PM
:thumb: Yes, Jesus had no authority to abolish his Father's commandments. That would have been rebellion.

Epoisses
March 27th, 2016, 02:22 PM
:thumb: Yes, Jesus had no authority to abolish his Father's commandments. That would have been rebellion.

He did have authority to fulfill them however. Fulfill and abolish are not the same. If I open up my bible today the law (5 books of Moses) are still there. They haven't been abolished. That doesn't mean I leave grace and go back to Moses and keep a covenant that was never for me.

Totton Linnet
March 27th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Christ is the Jahweh of the OT. He wrote out the law on the tables of stone.

Epoisses
March 27th, 2016, 04:49 PM
Christ is the Jahweh of the OT. He wrote out the law on the tables of stone......for the Jews.

Christians were given grace. The early church comprised believing Jews and believing Gentiles who were called Christians. Oh my goodness there were Jews and Gentiles in the same church!! You mean Paul the ethnic Jew actually called himself a Christian. John Darby just rolled over in his grave.

King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest. 28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian. 29 And Paul said, I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such as I am, except these bonds. Acts 26:27-29

jamie
March 27th, 2016, 04:53 PM
That doesn't mean I leave grace and go back to Moses and keep a covenant that was never for me.

By covenant are you referring to the Mosaic covenant or the everlasting covenant Jesus' died for?

jamie
March 27th, 2016, 04:55 PM
That doesn't mean I leave grace and go back to Moses and keep a covenant that was never for me.

Righteous Abel probably never heard of Moses who came later.

Epoisses
March 27th, 2016, 04:56 PM
By covenant are you referring to the Mosaic covenant or the everlasting covenant Jesus' died for?

Going back to Moses would mean the Mosaic covenant of law.

Epoisses
March 27th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Righteous Abel probably never heard of Moses who came later.

Seeing he lived before Moses I doubt it.

jamie
March 27th, 2016, 07:36 PM
Going back to Moses would mean the Mosaic covenant of law.

The Mosaic law is not in effect. No one can go back to it.

Epoisses
March 27th, 2016, 10:38 PM
The Mosaic law is not in effect. No one can go back to it.

You seem to be heading in that direction. I don't hear you proclaiming faith alone by grace alone in Christ alone. There is no law in that.

jamie
March 28th, 2016, 07:58 AM
I don't hear you proclaiming faith alone by grace alone in Christ alone.

That's because grace alone in Christ alone is not true. No one can come to Christ unless...

Give credit where credit is due.

:Poly:

Robert Pate
March 28th, 2016, 03:15 PM
That's because grace alone in Christ alone is not true. No one can come to Christ unless...

Give credit where credit is due.

:Poly:

Salvation has been provided for all who do nothing more than call upon the name of the Lord, Romans 10:13.