A new year is appoarching--what do you plan to do?

QueenAtHome

So what do you plan on using for this year?

Is there still anyone left that still has someone in elementary?

I know that we have had many graduates lately.

This is what I have in mind for us.
We really like the science curriculum put out by Answers in Genesis
Learning Language Arts Through Literature
Mystery of History
Sequential Spelling
Rosetta Stone-Spanish Latin American style
Math-U-See

reading and more reading.

nicholsmom

I have 1 in 1st grade & one that's pre-K, but ready to learn in earnest (I've only had 2 like this), in addition to one just starting high school and 2 in middle school.

I love MathUSee too. We will be using Apologia Biology for my 9th grader because it was recommended by a mom who has one kid now working for his doctorate in bio-chemistry & another in med school. So I figure she knows what she's doing on that score ;) Writing will be a biggie this year for her as well & we are using Rod & Staff grammar which covers paragraph and essay structure nicely. I think that we will go with Holt for Spanish, German, and French (three kids can't seem to agree on one language :rolleyes: ). And tons of reading aloud for all concerned. We love the 4-H for lower-level sciences & speech/demonstration contests as well as instilling hard and fast deadlines and a sense of excellence (there's nothing like competition for that). I think we'll do some poetry & more formal art this year too.

For reading, I have had some pretty good success with Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, but it doesn't work for them all. For Geography & History, we're using Rod & Staff though I also like Abekka (more pricy though).

I'm beginning to get antsy about the start of term.

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
My 'baby' is in 11th grade this year!

This is what we're doing this year:

Bible: New Testament Survey

Math: Saxon Algebra 2

English/Lit: The Politically Incorrect Guide to English and American Literature; we'll also pick out some novels to read out loud

English/Comp: Summary essay daily of U.S. History (Four Square Method)

History: Abeka U.S. History (wish I'd gone with BJU - LOVE their history); The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History (selected); Choosing Your Way Through America's History (selected)

Science: Signs & Seasons - Classical Astronomy

Foreign Language: Rosetta Stone Spanish (We're doing a second year on Spanish 1)

Over the summer my husband held a Christian Worldview class for our son and a group of his friends that I'll count toward Philosophy.

BTW - the Apologia Biology is outstanding! We used it last year. Written so that the student can understand it (and mom, too!)

Have a great year everybody!

hippiechyck

i have to elementaries :chuckle:

we're finishing up our year (we school Jan-Nov)

Heart of Dakota
Math-U-See

we'll be starting Community Bible Study next week, i am so excited :chuckle:

we'll be switching in January to Christian Light and PROBABLY using their CLP+ option (they keep records, and we'll be under their umbrella school)big switch as far as method, but i feel very peaceful about it

FellowServant

DMV Princess
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm trying to re-organize our homeschool after a fiasco of a start. We made a decision to try the Ohio Virtual Academy with the kids year. I'm regretting it horribly. I just can't believe what they are trying to push off as education. Just about every story my son was supposed to read preached tolerance of the homosexual lifestyle as well as radical religions. Plus there was a great deal more things that we ran into. So, I've re-done my daughter's 10th grade cirriculum and now working on my son's 6th grade.

Hoosiermommy, is the Answers In Genesis Science something we can purchase or something that can be found online?

We are also using Mystery of History. I'm trying to find language, spelling, and math for my son. I can't believe we ever tried to go back to the public schooling method. What a joke!

QueenAtHome

FellowServant, I could have told you not to do the virtual academy thingy. It is indeed horrendous. Been there and had the same thoughts :shocked::nono::kookoo::banned:

Answers in Genesis sells the God's Design series at Amazon and their site

We have only used the Life (Human Body, Animal Kingdom & Plant Kingdom)series and will be doing the Plant Kingdom book soon. It is geared for elementary age.

I think most of the God's Design series is geared for the elementary age, with the exception of the physics series and the chemistry series. They expand into the junior high age. I think you would have no problem using it as a springboard though.

I know that many people have enjoyed Apologia.

As far as spelling goes, I have been impressed with Sequential spelling. It starts out with a simple word and then builds around it. So the first of the week you might have the word "cot" and then a few days later you are spelling "boycotting"
I like it for two reasons, 1) you can see a pattern in the spelling words, and 2) the student corrects the spelling mistakes right away. So rather than spelling "diploy" three times the wrong way, turn in the paper and then being told it is spelled wrong, they fix it right away thus putting the correct spelling in the mind right away (although sometimes it still takes a while ;) )

I like Math U See. They have a different approach to presenting math and how to solve it that really works for my kids. They also have a "how to use math in the real world program" it is their Stewartship cirriculum depending on your the level of your high schooler, it might be useful.