PDA

View Full Version : Intimacy with God?

Jamie Gigliotti
October 27th, 2015, 11:37 AM
"According to the Gospel, God offers us His indwelling presence where spirit touches spirit and the deepest, truest intimacy results." Ravi Zacharias

The whole reason for it all; His love that He wants us to willingly share in through Jesus, the reconcilling work of the cross, and His Spirit. His love filling out hearts, Him filling us and demonstrated through us in what we say and do.

"So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in Him." 1 John 4:16

Do you know Him intimately?
There is nothing greater!

serpentdove
October 27th, 2015, 11:49 AM
"So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in Him." 1 John 4:16

If one has fruits of righteousness, he is his. No fruit? Plan to be cut down (Lk 9:3, Mt 21:19, Re 6:13). http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr285/croatoan5376/Emoticons/smiley_emoticons_mttao_baum_faellen.gif

Jamie Gigliotti
October 27th, 2015, 03:06 PM
If one has fruits of righteousness, he is his. No fruit? Plan to be cut down (Lk 9:3, Mt 21:19, Re 6:13). http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr285/croatoan5376/Emoticons/smiley_emoticons_mttao_baum_faellen.gif
Do you think intimacy with Him and the "fruits of righteousness" are related?

serpentdove
October 27th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Do you think intimacy with Him and the "fruits of righteousness" are related?

He is the Prince of Peace (Is 9:6). One cannot have peace without him (Is 57:21).

When one knows him (Phil 3:10), then he can do a good thing (Ro 3:12, Jn 14:27).

Nick M
October 27th, 2015, 05:45 PM

The worker bees cannot help themselves.

Jamie Gigliotti
October 27th, 2015, 10:41 PM
The worker bees cannot help themselves.

Glad you entered the conversation. Nick are you moved in your heart and soul by the love you share with His Spirit?

brinny
October 27th, 2015, 11:59 PM
This is most precious, thank you.

i must admit, i have been distant from God as of late.

Your thread and it's subject reminds me of how very PRECIOUS our Father's heart is towards us.

God bless you.

Jamie Gigliotti
October 28th, 2015, 08:23 AM
This is most precious, thank you.

i must admit, i have been distant from God as of late.

Your thread and it's subject reminds me of how very PRECIOUS our Father's heart is towards us.

God bless you.
God bless you! It's such a privilege to encourage someone in their relationship with Him.
Intimacy is a very scary endeavor at times. I remember when I first found Him, I could not take too much it was overwhelming. He has taught me and I am learning more and more to cherish it and embrace Him, and that it is much scarier trying to ignore Him. May His Spirit, His love and peace and Joy fill you!

Jamie Gigliotti
October 28th, 2015, 08:24 AM
He is the Prince of Peace (Is 9:6). One cannot have peace without him (Is 57:21).

When one knows him (Phil 3:10), then he can do a good thing (Ro 3:12, Jn 14:27).
Amen!

brinny
October 28th, 2015, 09:36 AM
God bless you! It's such a privilege to encourage someone in their relationship with Him.
Intimacy is a very scary endeavor at times. I remember when I first found Him, I could not take too much it was overwhelming. He has taught me and I am learning more and more to cherish it and embrace Him, and that it is much scarier trying to ignore Him. May His Spirit, His love and peace and Joy fill you!

And you too, brother, amen.

Here's a quote that i have meditated on many times to understand myself what intimacy with God means....

i understood then, that "walking with God" as Godly men in the Bible did is "talking" with him, about EVERYTHING, not holding anything back, and thus my understanding of intimacy with God began.

“Tell God all that is in your heart, as one unloads one's heart, it's pleasures, and it's pains, to a dear friend.

Tell him your troubles, that he may comfort you; tell him your joys, that he may sober them; tell him your longings, that he may purify them; tell him your dislikes, that he may help you coquer them; talk to him of your temptations, that he may shield you from them; show him the wounds of your heart, that he may heal them; lay bare your indifference to good, your depraved tastes for evil, your instability. Tell him how self-love makes you unjust to others, how vanity tempts you to be insincere, how pride disguises you to yourself and others.

If you thus pour out your weaknesses, needs, troubles, there will be no lack of what to say. You will never exhaust the subject. It is continually being renewed. People who have no secrets from each other never want for subject of conversation. They do not weigh their words, for there is nothing to be held back, neither do they seek for something to say. They talk out of the abundance of their heart, without consideration they say just what they think. Blessed are they who attain to such familiar, unreserved intimacy with God.” ~ Francois Fenelon

Jamie Gigliotti
October 28th, 2015, 10:39 AM

Here's a quote that i have meditated on many times to understand myself what intimacy with God means....

i understood then, that "walking with God" as Godly men in the Bible did is "talking" with him, about EVERYTHING, not holding anything back, and thus my understanding of intimacy with God began.

“Tell God all that is in your heart, as one unloads one's heart, it's pleasures, and it's pains, to a dear friend.

Tell him your troubles, that he may comfort you; tell him your joys, that he may sober them; tell him your longings, that he may purify them; tell him your dislikes, that he may help you coquer them; talk to him of your temptations, that he may shield you from them; show him the wounds of your heart, that he may heal them; lay bare your indifference to good, your depraved tastes for evil, your instability. Tell him how self-love makes you unjust to others, how vanity tempts you to be insincere, how pride disguises you to yourself and others.

If you thus pour out your weaknesses, needs, troubles, there will be no lack of what to say. You will never exhaust the subject. It is continually being renewed. People who have no secrets from each other never want for subject of conversation. They do not weigh their words, for there is nothing to be held back, neither do they seek for something to say. They talk out of the abundance of their heart, without consideration they say just what they think. Blessed are they who attain to such familiar, unreserved intimacy with God.” ~ Francois Fenelon
Funny we try to hide ourselves from Him as if He doesn't know everything about us... Embracing Him is so much easier... Thank you for that!

brinny
October 28th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Funny we try to hide ourselves from Him as if He doesn't know everything about us... Embracing Him is so much easier... Thank you for that!

That's soooo profound, and yes, that's EXACTLY what i still have a propensity to do. I PRAY about this, because it comes sooo easy to hide from him and keep ev'ry thing to myself.

He is sooooo wise, however, and patient with me, as He, being the GOOD Shepherd that HE is, guides me and draws me back in by His loving kindness and tender mercies.

Thank you for this thread.

Totton Linnet
October 28th, 2015, 02:39 PM

And also don't always be on the negative side

Share with God how precious His Presence is with you, how cheering, how much you love the name of Jesus, how often problems seem to resolve themselves after prayer.

How thankful you are to belong to Him, how much you delight to SEE the life of Jesus being manifest through you.

Nick M
October 28th, 2015, 07:01 PM
Nick are you moved in your heart and soul by the love you share with His Spirit?

So much so I am trying to get you to enter into life.

Jamie Gigliotti
October 28th, 2015, 08:40 PM
So much so I am trying to get you to enter into life.

So you are trying to show me love because of the love you share in Him and with Him. Awesome!

Jamie Gigliotti
October 28th, 2015, 08:42 PM
That's soooo profound, and yes, that's EXACTLY what i still have a propensity to do. I PRAY about this, because it comes sooo easy to hide from him and keep ev'ry thing to myself.

He is sooooo wise, however, and patient with me, as He, being the GOOD Shepherd that HE is, guides me and draws me back in by His loving kindness and tender mercies.

Thank you for this thread.
How could we ever sing of His praises enough?

brinny
October 29th, 2015, 08:36 AM
How could we ever sing of His praises enough?

Amen! It seems that when we sing praises to Him, HE is the One ministering to us!

What an AWESOME God He is! http://www.pic4ever.com/images/greenstars.gif

Jamie Gigliotti
October 29th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Amen! It seems that when we sing praises to Him, HE is the One ministering to us!

What an AWESOME God He is! http://www.pic4ever.com/images/greenstars.gif
Ah the irony. I remember thinking In my pride before I ever worshipped. "What is God just egotistical? Bow to Him?"
And then He moved us to; and we say yes LORD we need You, we love You, You are indesrciably good, we worship you, and you are so right it benefits us in our hearts and soul more than we could have ever imagined. There in no better feeling, experience, joy, love than communing with Him! And the reality is worship is an amazing way to be intimate with Him.

brinny
October 29th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Ah the irony. I remember thinking In my pride before I ever worshipped. "What is God just egotistical? Bow to Him?"
And then He moved us to; and we say yes LORD we need You, we love You, You are indesrciably good, we worship you, and you are so right it benefits us in our hearts and soul more than we could have ever imagined. There in no better feeling, experience, joy, love than communing with Him! And the reality is worship is an amazing way to be intimate with Him.

Yes it is. He's a DELIGHTFUL God! Amen!

Jamie Gigliotti
October 30th, 2015, 11:48 AM
"For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from who every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of His glory He may grant you to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ May dwell in your hearts through faith--that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and the length and the height and the depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power that is at work in us, to Him be the glory in the Church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:14-21

Knowing Him and His love and being filled with Him to His glory is what it is all about. Join me in this prayer for ourselves and anyone who reads this.

George Affleck
October 30th, 2015, 04:01 PM
For me, intimacy with God generally means wallowing in the excellency of His truth that I have hid in my heart. This seems to stick with me throughout the day and I find myself reflecting on how the world is so bankrupt but God's plan is so rich.

Jamie Gigliotti
November 1st, 2015, 06:55 PM
For me, intimacy with God generally means wallowing in the excellency of His truth that I have hid in my heart. This seems to stick with me throughout the day and I find myself reflecting on how the world is so bankrupt but God's plan is so rich.

Thank you George for your perspective. Sorry for the slow response.

In your intimacy with Him, would you say His Spiritual presence is felt by you?

George Affleck
November 1st, 2015, 07:48 PM
Thank you George for your perspective. Sorry for the slow response.

Hi Jamie - always appreciate your comments. You are probably not looking for this kind of reply but here it is anyway - lol

Quick answer for me is - No. Not in the way most people think of it. I don't trust feelings by themselves.

Spiritual presence, for me, takes the form of truth. I am always careful about emotions. It's relatively easy to know when physical or mental things supplant truth, but feelings manifest in ways very close to the spiritual and can be untrue (deviously unbiblical).

Because of this, I try to make sure sentiment does not fool me by masquerading as spiritual. In fact, whenever I think of Spirit I think of Truth and vice versa. If I can keep them together, I am less likely to be fooled and there are a lot of people who are fooled these days. Be careful of those who accuse you of quenching the Spirit by being faithful to Truth.

Jamie Gigliotti
November 2nd, 2015, 11:54 AM
Hi Jamie - always appreciate your comments. You are probably not looking for this kind of reply but here it is anyway - lol

Quick answer for me is - No. Not in the way most people think of it. I don't trust feelings by themselves.

Spiritual presence, for me, takes the form of truth. I am always careful about emotions. It's relatively easy to know when physical or mental things supplant truth, but feelings manifest in ways very close to the spiritual and can be untrue (deviously unbiblical).

Because of this, I try to make sure sentiment does not fool me by masquerading as spiritual. In fact, whenever I think of Spirit I think of Truth and vice versa. If I can keep them together, I am less likely to be fooled and there are a lot of people who are fooled these days. Be careful of those who accuse you of quenching the Spirit by being faithful to Truth.

Some excellent perspectives to add to the topic. Thanks brother.

First thing that comes to mind is how we tend to seperate the emotional experience and the Spiritual experience. The fruit of the Spirit, love, joy, peace point to the positive emotional character He can shine through us (Galatians 5:22) in contrast to the dark emotions that literally can consume us: rage, hate, bitterness, jealousy to name a few. It seems only a rational step for us to see these are Spiritual in nature and not of the Light.

You also mentioned the truth being inline or equivalent with the Spiritual. What I hear you saying is test the Spirits. God does not contradict Himself, or His word. Only God's Spirit brings Agape love, love that Paul beautifully describes in 1 Corinthians 13. Jesus call the Holy Spirit 'the Spirit of Truth' that 'will guide us into all truth'; and undoubtedly they are of the same supernatural substance.
The truth itself, I tend to view as objective reality. The Spiritual reality does tend to push our minds beyond our limits, but that does not minimalize the reality non-the less.

My intentions are not to boast about my spirituality, by to encourage others to find a deeper love and intimacy with God through Jesus and His Spirit. The emotional connections can even move to what could only be described as supernatural, peace that surpasses all understanding. And a presence that words could never describe the goodness of.

George Affleck
November 2nd, 2015, 12:25 PM
You also mentioned the truth being inline or equivalent with the Spiritual. What I hear you saying is test the Spirits.

If you have a minute, have a look at my thread "The non-abortion". This was not an abortion issue; I just saw it as one who, by God's grace, escaped the death camps and lives to tell the tale.

I saw this as an example of how God used the trust and faith of these parents, in His truth, to inspire victory in others. My personal response was emotional.

George Affleck
November 2nd, 2015, 12:44 PM
I'll give you an example on the other side.

A few years ago I had a conversation with a co-worker; actually one of my bosses. They approached me because they knew I was "religious", so-called, with a personal story I was supposed to appreciate.

The mother, apparently a well loved person, had died in August and had always tended a garden of roses in the backyard. This person saw one rose still blooming in December and was convinced it was the mother sending notice to the family that she was all right. I was asked to give an opinion about it.

It did not go well!

Jamie Gigliotti
November 3rd, 2015, 07:23 AM
If you have a minute, have a look at my thread "The non-abortion". This was not an abortion issue; I just saw it as one who, by God's grace, escaped the death camps and lives to tell the tale.

I saw this as an example of how God used the trust and faith of these parents, in His truth, to inspire victory in others. My personal response was emotional.

That was an awesome testimony of the goodness and love of our Lord Jesus.
George from what I've seen of you and your heart on here I have little doubt that you have responded to His love, Grace and forgiveness for you personally with love, that you share with Him.
"Her sins, which are many, are forgiven--for she loves much." Luke 7:47

And anyone who genuinely has felt His love and forgiveness through His Spirit has shared in intimacy with Him... The question then seems to arise are we going to go deeper still as He calls us; considering everything rubbish compared to knowing our great, wonderful, loving Father and His Son our Saviour Jesus Christ.

"Open the eyes of heart Lord"!
He is never far from any of us.

Jamie Gigliotti
November 3rd, 2015, 07:25 AM
I'll give you an example on the other side.

A few years ago I had a conversation with a co-worker; actually one of my bosses. They approached me because they knew I was "religious", so-called, with a personal story I was supposed to appreciate.

The mother, apparently a well loved person, had died in August and had always tended a garden of roses in the backyard. This person saw one rose still blooming in December and was convinced it was the mother sending notice to the family that she was all right. I was asked to give an opinion about it.

It did not go well!
Not surprising they only wanted validation, not the truth.

Jamie Gigliotti
November 4th, 2015, 12:57 PM
I find intimacy with Him, by spending time with Him in His word; by worshipping Him from my heart in singing and speaking praises audibly and silently; sharing His love and truth with others; honoring and confessing to Him at communion.

Any other ways you do?

Nick M
November 5th, 2015, 10:25 AM

It is felt by every person. He has poured his Spirit out on all flesh and dealt a measure of faith to ever person. People choose to reject him.

Jamie Gigliotti
November 5th, 2015, 12:07 PM
It is felt by every person. He has poured his Spirit out on all flesh and dealt a measure of faith to ever person. People choose to reject him.

Nick I'm sure you know there is a difference between the convicting work of the Spirit and an adoptive Son and Daughter filled with the Spirit in love and intimacy unto His fruit overflowing through them.

Jamie Gigliotti
November 6th, 2015, 12:51 PM
I'm just about to give this subject a rest. But I wonder why so much silence on the issue?

Is it because intimacy is a scary subject for most, or have many here not personally experienced Him and His love?

George Affleck
November 6th, 2015, 07:10 PM
I'm just about to give this subject a rest. But I wonder why so much silence on the issue?

Is it because intimacy is a scary subject for most, or have many here not personally experienced Him and His love?

I think its because they are too busy hating other Christians in the KJV thread.

George Affleck
November 6th, 2015, 07:13 PM
I find intimacy with Him, by spending time with Him in His word; by worshipping Him from my heart in singing and speaking praises audibly and silently; sharing His love and truth with others; honoring and confessing to Him at communion.

Any other ways you do?

These are excellent points of contact that He has allowed us.

Bright Raven
November 6th, 2015, 07:23 PM
"According to the Gospel, God offers us His indwelling presence where spirit touches spirit and the deepest, truest intimacy results." Ravi Zacharias

The whole reason for it all; His love that He wants us to willingly share in through Jesus, the reconcilling work of the cross, and His Spirit. His love filling out hearts, Him filling us and demonstrated through us in what we say and do.

There is nothing greater!
Have you read Intimacy with the Almighty?

glorydaz
November 6th, 2015, 08:20 PM
My intentions are not to boast about my spirituality, by to encourage others to find a deeper love and intimacy with God through Jesus and His Spirit. The emotional connections can even move to what could only be described as supernatural, peace that surpasses all understanding. And a presence that words could never describe the goodness of.

It isn't because it's "scary", nor is it "because many have not experienced Him and His love". All true believers know intimacy with God the very minute the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in them. That's intimate. That's when the love of God is shed abroad on our hearts. We don't have to learn to be intimate or take lessons on how to be intimate....it's what HE accomplishes in us as we are being conformed into the image of the Son.

It's why I keep silent on this issue. It's private.....it's intimate....it's personal. And, in my opinion, it absolutely does leave room for boasting. Man must ever guard against the temptation to appear more holy and closer to God than the next guy.

2 Corinthians 10:12
For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

Jamie Gigliotti
November 7th, 2015, 11:51 AM
It isn't because it's "scary", nor is it "because many have not experienced Him and His love". All true believers know intimacy with God the very minute the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in them. That's intimate. That's when the love of God is shed abroad on our hearts. We don't have to learn to be intimate or take lessons on how to be intimate....it's what HE accomplishes in us as we are being conformed into the image of the Son.

It's why I keep silent on this issue. It's private.....it's intimate....it's personal. And, in my opinion, it absolutely does leave room for boasting. Man must ever guard against the temptation to appear more holy and closer to God than the next guy.

2 Corinthians 10:12
For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.
So do you play any part in intimacy with Him?

If God desires intimacy with us should we not encourage others to seek it and Him?

Jamie Gigliotti
November 7th, 2015, 11:54 AM
I think its because they are too busy hating other Christians in the KJV thread.

Disciples are known by there love, disciples are Christians. Haters are wolves in sheep's clothing.

Jamie Gigliotti
November 7th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Have you read Intimacy with the Almighty?

I'm assuming that is a book, I have not.

glorydaz
November 7th, 2015, 12:27 PM
So do you play any part in intimacy with Him?

If God desires intimacy with us should we not encourage others to seek it and Him?

That's like saying we can't be intimate with our spouse unless we talk about the how-to's with our girl friends. What happens there? I'll tell you. Pretty soon we have to put on a show where we are more intimate than our neighbor. We begin comparing ourselves among ourselves. People shouldn't want to do that.

I think people have to be very careful when they think God wants them to do anything for the benefit of others. It means their focus is on themselves DOING something. Why are they looking at what others may lack to begin with? I see you asking certain ones if they have thus or so in regards to their feelings of intimacy. It seems very disingenuous to me, and I can't help but question your motives. You may think they are only good, but it isn't working for you....for the reasons I have mentioned already.

Jamie Gigliotti
November 7th, 2015, 03:13 PM
That's like saying we can't be intimate with our spouse unless we talk about the how-to's with our girl friends. What happens there? I'll tell you. Pretty soon we have to put on a show where we are more intimate than our neighbor. We begin comparing ourselves among ourselves. People shouldn't want to do that.

I think people have to be very careful when they think God wants them to do anything for the benefit of others. It means their focus is on themselves DOING something. Why are they looking at what others may lack to begin with? I see you asking certain ones if they have thus or so in regards to their feelings of intimacy. It seems very disingenuous to me, and I can't help but question your motives. You may think they are only good, but it isn't working for you....for the reasons I have mentioned already.
So basically what you are saying don't encourage intimacy just hope it happens? Craziness! I'm not gonna tell my daughters to just to get married, without teaching them what an intmate relationship looks like.

And this is how some 'Christian' teachers teach Christianity. Just believe; there is no need for His love, or for you to do anything else. God does not shove himself down our throats. I can worship at any moment and connect with Him or I can choose to do whatever else "I" want to do.

Jesus said remain in me and my love. It takes a conscientous act of our will to connect with Him intimately, (by grace, no One deserves to).Just like in any intimate relationship. Two willing participants. He is always willing. Are we?

Jesus laid down His life because He wanted to do His Father's will, not because He was forced.

glorydaz
November 7th, 2015, 07:03 PM
So basically what you are saying don't encourage intimacy just hope it happens? Craziness! I'm not gonna tell my daughters to just to get married, without teaching them what an intmate relationship looks like.

And this is how some 'Christian' teachers teach Christianity. Just believe; there is no need for His love, or for you to do anything else. God does not shove himself down our throats. I can worship at any moment and connect with Him or I can choose to do whatever else "I" want to do.

Jesus said remain in me and my love. It takes a conscientous act of our will to connect with Him intimately, (by grace, no One deserves to).Just like in any intimate relationship. Two willing participants. He is always willing. Are we?

Jesus laid down His life because He wanted to do His Father's will, not because He was forced.

So you're contending that man is better able to teach us about intimacy with God than the Holy Spirit Himself. Gotcha. :thumb:

Nick M
November 7th, 2015, 07:09 PM
And this is how some 'Christian' teachers teach Christianity. Just believe; there is no need for His love, or for you to do anything else. God does not shove himself down our throats.

You miss the point because you are in darkness. You do not get to have any relationship with God until salvation. OSAS. Moving from death to life. When that happens, you can then serve the Lord Jesus Christ so to not seem disqualified. I have not seen evidence of you having his life.

Jamie Gigliotti
November 7th, 2015, 09:45 PM
So you're contending that man is better able to teach us about intimacy with God than the Holy Spirit Himself. Gotcha. :thumb:
The Holy Spirit agrees with God's word which tells us to remain in Him and His love. Sadly those professing to be in the know argue against this.

Jamie Gigliotti
November 7th, 2015, 09:53 PM
You miss the point because you are in darkness. You do not get to have any relationship with God until salvation. OSAS. Moving from death to life. When that happens, you can then serve the Lord Jesus Christ so to not seem disqualified. I have not seen evidence of you having his life.
"With me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you... In fact I do not even judge myself....it is the Lord who judges me." 1 Corinthians 4:3-4

I am attempting to plant seeds that encourage loving relationships with Jesus and the Father through the Holy Spirit.

Why are you fighting against that?

glorydaz
November 7th, 2015, 09:53 PM
The Holy Spirit agrees with God's word which tells us to remain in Him and His love. Sadly those professing to be in the know argue against this.

Nonsense, I'm not arguing against remaining in Him....we have been created in Him and IN HIM we will ever remain. Just as we remain in His love. Not because we are always faithful to Him but because He is always faithful to those He has sealed with the Holy Spirit. Not because we are doing the work, but because HE is doing His work in us.

For you to presume to admonish others to do what you think you are doing is to encourage others to claim some glory for themselves just as you clearly want to do. That is what is truly "sad". It's also what opens the door to spiritual pride.

Jamie Gigliotti
November 8th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Nonsense, I'm not arguing against remaining in Him....we have been created in Him and IN HIM we will ever remain. Just as we remain in His love. Not because we are always faithful to Him but because He is always faithful to those He has sealed with the Holy Spirit. Not because we are doing the work, but because HE is doing His work in us.

For you to presume to admonish others to do what you think you are doing is to encourage others to claim some glory for themselves just as you clearly want to do. That is what is truly "sad". It's also what opens the door to spiritual pride.

God gives us the gift of Him and His love and places spiritual responsibility on us to abide in Him and His love so that His love comes through us. Saying God does everything shucks our responsibility in the equation. And makes Him out to be a robot maker.

I've admitted many times in TOL my need to continue to press on in humility and surrender to Him. He's not done with me yet. He requires our willing cooperation so His glory can shine through us.

He loved me first, I get no glory for reciprocating the love He gives.

glorydaz
November 8th, 2015, 09:43 PM

God gives us the gift of Him and His love and places spiritual responsibility on us to abide in Him and His love so that His love comes through us. Saying God does everything shucks our responsibility in the equation. And makes Him out to be a robot maker.

So your contention is that it's our responsibility to ABIDE IN HIM. Is that what you're saying? And if we don't, we will no longer be IN HIM? Your tacking on a statement about God being a "robot maker" when you're talking about our "abiding" in Him is nothing more than a rabbit trail to hide what you're saying here.

I've admitted many times in TOL my need to continue to press on in humility and surrender to Him. He's not done with me yet. He requires our willing cooperation so His glory can shine through us.

He loved me first, I get no glory for reciprocating the love He gives.

But you do get "glory" for your "humility" don't you? You leave room for boasting in your "reciprocating the love He gives." That's what I'm talking about.

Rather than giving the Lord ALL THE CREDIT and ALL THE GLORY for what the Spirit accomplishes in us ....in spite of our natural human tendencies for self gratification, you want to claim some of the results. He is the ONE who causes us to be willing. He is the one who succeeds in getting us to surrender. He is the one who is successfully conforming us into the image of Jesus Christ. He is doing all that IN SPITE of ourselves. And He does it because He bought us and we are HIS workmanship. Thank God we are not our own. Our "humility" is not really humble. Our "surrender" is not really surrender. It only becomes that when He gets done with us, so it's HIS to claim.

Philippians 2:13
For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Jamie Gigliotti
November 9th, 2015, 06:56 AM
So your contention is that it's our responsibility to ABIDE IN HIM. Is that what you're saying? And if we don't, we will no longer be IN HIM? Your tacking on a statement about God being a "robot maker" when you're talking about our "abiding" in Him is nothing more than a rabbit trail to hide what you're saying here.

But you do get "glory" for your "humility" don't you? You leave room for boasting in your "reciprocating the love He gives." That's what I'm talking about.

Rather than giving the Lord ALL THE CREDIT and ALL THE GLORY for what the Spirit accomplishes in us ....in spite of our natural human tendencies for self gratification, you want to claim some of the results. He is the ONE who causes us to be willing. He is the one who succeeds in getting us to surrender. He is the one who is successfully conforming us into the image of Jesus Christ. He is doing all that IN SPITE of ourselves. And He does it because He bought us and we are HIS workmanship. Thank God we are not our own. Our "humility" is not really humble. Our "surrender" is not really surrender. It only becomes that when He gets done with us, so it's HIS to claim.

Philippians 2:13
For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Jesus said to abide in Him. My argument is for us to do what He said.
"Abide in me, and I in you... By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples." John 15:4,8
The rabbit trail goes to Him.
"...apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15); nothing good anyway. He gets all the glory. Us bringing Him glory by connecting to Him and His love and reflecting Him brings Him glory.

My admissions that I need to be more humble are boasting?

God works in us with our willing participation. Everything you argue, argues against free will.

Love is free. God is not a manipulator, He is love. We love because He first loved us or we don't. He gives us all we need, by grace if we choose to embrace Him.

Thank you. This has lead me to start a new thread "Spiritual responsibility".

Hope to hear from you there.