PDA

View Full Version : What is it that the Devil wants more than anything else?

dialm
September 26th, 2015, 05:38 PM
If the Devil could have one thing...

aikido7
September 26th, 2015, 05:41 PM
It would be to be with God. The devil's pain comes from being separated from Him.

aCultureWarrior
September 26th, 2015, 05:44 PM

What else but mankind's soul for eternity.

aCultureWarrior
September 26th, 2015, 05:45 PM
It would be to be with God. The devil's pain comes from being separated from Him.

I guess I missed where Satan has asked for God's forgiveness and desires to return to Heaven.

Bright Raven
September 26th, 2015, 05:47 PM
To kill, steal and destroy.

aikido7
September 26th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Satan's pain is that he is hidden from God.

aikido7
September 26th, 2015, 05:59 PM
I guess I missed where Satan has asked for God's forgiveness and desires to return to Heaven.He was kicked out of paradise, according to the prevailing myth.

But we must remember what Jesus told us:

"I saw Satan fall from the sky like lightning." Satan was no longer a threat since the appearance of Jesus.

Evil is evil but my faith tells me it can always be redeemed. And it is in many ways on a daily basis.

Bright Raven
September 26th, 2015, 06:04 PM
He was kicked out of paradise, according to the prevailing myth.

But we must remember what Jesus told us:

"I saw Satan fall from the sky like lightning." Satan was no longer a threat since the appearance of Jesus.

Evil is evil but my faith tells me it can always be redeemed. And it is in many ways on a daily basis.

Prevailing myth, how about truth.

Satan will NEVER be redeemed.

Revelation 20:10 New King James Version (NKJV)

10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Danoh
September 26th, 2015, 06:06 PM
All he wants for Christmas is his two front horns, his two front horns, his two front horns...

Cleekster
September 26th, 2015, 06:07 PM

to have Atheists turn into morally bankrupt baby hating zombie eaters....or was it baby eating zombie haters...i get so confused sometimes:chuckle:

aikido7
September 26th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Prevailing myth, how about truth.

Satan will NEVER be redeemed.

10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.I see myth as the closest that imperfect humans like ourselves can know the truth.

It is a different way of seeing, for the everyday world of factually correct, logic and rationality does not work any longer. That is an obvious fact looking at the world today.

Jesus did not speak in factually correct terms. He taught in parables. He did not preach propositional theology.

There was no woman who baked bread and got an unnaturally large yield. There was no Jericho Police Department that had a record of a beaten traveler left lying on the road. The parable of the sower was not about gardening methods in lower Galilee.

The Bible contains many myths, allegories and legends--sometimes put alongside the historical events that actually happened.

Do you believe that the curtain in the temple tore in two the moment Jesus died on the cross? It makes no common sense to me.

It is a myth, in my opinion, that speaks to the TRUTH of God's Presence and Power is available to ALL humanity at last. He is no longer the province of the priests and mediators in the Temple.

aikido7
September 26th, 2015, 06:26 PM

10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Revelation is a profound gospel put in heavy metaphorical and mythological images. I can't help it if most Christians continue to literalize and make into facts the sacred language of their traditions. I try not to. I take all metaphors and myths--however expressed--very seriously. They are part of the sacred, God-breathed Scripture I am bound to study.

The era that John of Patmos wrote Revelation was a horrific period where Rome (Babylon) was persecuting the early Christians with fire, sword and wholesale slaughter. Nero (the Beast) eventually ended up killing (probably with crucifixion) both Peter and Paul in the late 60s.

On or about the year 70, the whole empire was involved in the horrible Roman-Jewish war--something the wise and the prophets (including Jesus) saw coming from a mile away.

aCultureWarrior
September 26th, 2015, 06:36 PM
He was kicked out of paradise, according to the prevailing myth.

Thanks for acknowledging that Holy Scripture is one big "prevailing myth" to sickos people like you.

aikido7
September 26th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Thanks for acknowledging that Holy Scripture is one big "prevailing myth" to sickos people like you.I guess you could say it is--because it is profoundly true.

Myth is truth--one of the few ways besides poetry that can show us.
That's my view.

But you already know that. You are intent on arguing with me every place I post.

truthjourney
September 26th, 2015, 06:43 PM
He wants to be worshipped.
Matt. 4:9 And said unto him, All these things will I give you, if you will fall down and worship me.
And many people do worship him. We are involved in spiritual warfare. We need to know who the real enemy is.
1Pet. 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walks about, seeking whom he may devour:
James 4:7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

aCultureWarrior
September 26th, 2015, 06:43 PM
I guess you could say it is--because it is profoundly true.

Myth is truth--one of the few ways besides poetry that can show us.
That's my view.

But you already know that. You are intent on arguing with me exposing my blasphemous lies every place I post.

Fixed that for ya.

aikido7
September 26th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Thanks for acknowledging that Holy Scripture is one big "prevailing myth" to sickos people like you.Jesus will redeem EVERYONE. Even the Book of Revelations says that. Mythically, of course.

The beasts and the chaos that erupted from John of Patmos's faith were not real. But they were very real in the sense of divine truths.

We choose to lie on our backs and look at the clouds and make shapes of them. Or we look into the night sky and see constellations. And every group sees different ones. We have just chosen to see the sky through the eyes of the Greeks.

OCTOBER23
September 26th, 2015, 07:55 PM
What does the Devil want most.........

DEVILED EGGS,

RED HOTS

HOT AND SPICY CHICKEN WINGS

aikido7
September 26th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Fixed that for ya.That is DEFINITELY your intention.

Now if you could only recognize the logs in your own eye and pay more attention to the not-so-good EFFECTS of your "good intentions."

You are straying from Jesus's teachings.

I think, though, that you already know that and simply do not care anymore.

aikido7
September 26th, 2015, 09:12 PM
What does the Devil want most.........

DEVILED EGGS,

RED HOTS

HOT AND SPICY CHICKEN WINGSAnd unsuspecting Christians who point out evil in everyone else but fail to recognize the Devil in their own hearts first.

heir
September 26th, 2015, 09:14 PM

Isaiah 14:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

Isaiah 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

patrick jane
September 26th, 2015, 09:35 PM
And unsuspecting Christians who point out evil in everyone else but fail to recognize the Devil in their own hearts first.

are ya feelin' a little down ?

patrick jane
September 26th, 2015, 09:45 PM

chinese food -

Huckleberry
September 27th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Jesus will redeem EVERYONE. Even the Book of Revelations says that. Mythically, of course.

The beasts and the chaos that erupted from John of Patmos's faith were not real. But they were very real in the sense of divine truths.

We choose to lie on our backs and look at the clouds and make shapes of them. Or we look into the night sky and see constellations. And every group sees different ones. We have just chosen to see the sky through the eyes of the Greeks.You have to work pretty hard to get this confused.

dialm
September 27th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Isaiah 14:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

Isaiah 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

We had many good comments but this is the one I was looking for.

Now what if the devil got exactly that? What would that have to mean?

I believe that all of the devil's dreams and desires have been fulfilled. With grave consequences.

Angel4Truth
September 27th, 2015, 06:14 PM

To be above God.

quip
September 28th, 2015, 07:34 AM

http://cdn.homedit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/jacuzzi_bathtub_2.jpg

Caledvwlch
September 28th, 2015, 07:59 AM

Tacos.

bybee
September 28th, 2015, 08:00 AM
http://cdn.homedit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/jacuzzi_bathtub_2.jpg

Wouldn't the water boil and give off a fetid stench?

Caledvwlch
September 28th, 2015, 08:03 AM

Just like lobster.

quip
September 28th, 2015, 08:03 AM

:doh: ...I suppose even the devil remains a slave to his own desires.

exminister
September 28th, 2015, 10:24 AM

Devil Dogs?

http://www.drakescake.com/www/docs/100/devil-dogs

Yum. :chuckle:

Aimiel
September 28th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Do you believe that the curtain in the temple tore in two the moment Jesus died on the cross? It makes no common sense to me.I do believe. We believe Scripture because It is Truth. Jesus said so. He read from Scripture and didn't try to edit them. That veil was 4" thick. It tearing from top to bottom shows that God forever opened The Holy of Holies for us to enter His Presence through Christ's Blood. I believe an axe head floated. I believe a donkey spoke. I believe Jesus walked on water. God's Word said it. That settles it. I also believe It. :thumb:

glorydaz
September 28th, 2015, 03:45 PM
I do believe. We believe Scripture because It is Truth. Jesus said so. He read from Scripture and didn't try to edit them. That veil was 4" thick. It tearing from top to bottom shows that God forever opened The Holy of Holies for us to enter His Presence through Christ's Blood. I believe an axe head floated. I believe a donkey spoke. I believe Jesus walked on water. God's Word said it. That settles it. I also believe It. :thumb:

Yep, and Jesus was born of a Virgin, and water came out of a rock, and the Red Sea parted. :thumb:

Aimiel
September 30th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Amen.

aikido7
September 30th, 2015, 06:47 PM
I do believe. We believe Scripture because It is Truth. Jesus said so. He read from Scripture and didn't try to edit them. That veil was 4" thick. It tearing from top to bottom shows that God forever opened The Holy of Holies for us to enter His Presence through Christ's Blood. I believe an axe head floated. I believe a donkey spoke. I believe Jesus walked on water. God's Word said it. That settles it. I also believe It. :thumb:

So did Jesus die on Passover or on the Day of Preparation, as John says?

And is it "Blessed are the poor" as Mark tells us. Or "blessed are the poor in spirit as Matthew asserts?

And did the paralytic's friends dig through the mud and straw of the Galilean hut or did they "remove the tiles" as Luke says?

No one can walk on water. There is a divine consistency as far as the laws of physics go. Creation has always worked the same way, everywhere and any time.

The Bible was written by inspired men. It is a complex weave of remembered history, oral tradition, legends, theologies, myths and metaphors. It is only by being able to identify and separate out the various genres will we be even close to becoming biblically literate.

Ktoyou
September 30th, 2015, 06:50 PM

Heir is the only one who got this right!

aikido7
September 30th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Yep, and Jesus was born of a Virgin, and water came out of a rock, and the Red Sea parted. :thumb:Caesar Augustus was reported to have been "born of a virgin" himself. And called divine and even--literally--"Savior of the World."

So if we are to take seriously historical methodology, we have to admit to what is factually correct evidence.

The theological idea of Jesus and Caesar being born of a virgin speaks to the importance of both men, not to the biology of their mothers.

Gurucam
September 30th, 2015, 07:30 PM

What is it that the Devil wants more than anything else?

As many human souls as he can get, so as to work his satanic system on earth and elsewhere.

aikido7
September 30th, 2015, 09:09 PM
O.P. :

The Devil's pain is that he is separated from God.

MarcATL
October 1st, 2015, 07:35 AM
We had many good comments but this is the one I was looking for.

Now what if the devil got exactly that? What would that have to mean?

I believe that all of the devil's dreams and desires have been fulfilled. With grave consequences.
Pretty good indeed, but it goes further than Sister Heir illustrated.

What Satan wants ultimately, is to show God's character to be flawed. He wants to paint God as unfair, unjust and ultimately, a liar. Ironic, yes.

Let's look at what happened in Genesis, in the garden of Eden here on earth. The first lie ever told was what? "Thou shall not surely die." Which was in direct contradiction to what God told Adam and Eve would happen if they partook of the forbidden fruit.

He convinced Eve that God was withholding something from them. So everything Satan was doing from the beginning of time was trying to paint God, the Creator as unfair, unjust and a liar.

Let's go to Revelation, where the apostle John illustrates what happened in heaven. Lucifer managed to convince 2/3rds of the angels to rebel against God. He did this by painting him as unjust, unfair and a liar. However, half went back to God leaving a third on Satan's side. That is a third of beings who spent eons being in God's presence worshipping him always, Lucifer managed to convince them that God was not who He said He is, and is. Think about that for a while. And we humans are so foolish to think we are a match for Satan.

Anyway, Satan wants to convince all of mankind and ultimately the entire universe that God created that God is unjust, unfair and is a liar. His plan is that once everyone sees this, HE can then rise and ascend as the being worthy of worship.

The OP asked what does Satan want, and that's what he wants.

bybee
October 1st, 2015, 08:13 AM
Excellent post!
Years ago I worried about Satan's ability to deceive. So I pledged myself to God that I would rather be dead than be a pawn in the hands of Satan. I realized that evil itself may destroy my life but it cannot take my soul. My soul belongs to God.

Jamie Gigliotti
October 1st, 2015, 12:20 PM
Right now it's deception of those God loves.
For non-believers one of the biggest lies is that he does not exist. And for believers one of the biggest is that He is no threat.

aikido7
October 1st, 2015, 12:23 PM
For non-believers one of the biggest lies is that he does not exist. And for believers one of the biggest is that He is no threat.But for most other humans--atheists as well as theists--evil is a real presence in the world and in everyone's heart.

The ones felt loved by God do not acknowledge (they CANNOT acknowledge) any trace of evil within themselves, so they project that quality onto others or on a mythological idea of evil incarnate--the Devil with a tail and a pitchfork or something.

Jamie Gigliotti
October 1st, 2015, 12:25 PM
Satan despises God and He knows the only thing that He can do to get back at God is take part in the destruction of the lost.

Jamie Gigliotti
October 1st, 2015, 12:30 PM
But for most other humans--atheists as well as theists--evil is a real presence in the world and in everyone's heart.

The ones felt loved by God do not acknowledge (they CANNOT acknowledge) any trace of evil within themselves, so they project that quality onto others or on a mythological idea of evil incarnate--the Devil with a tail and a pitchfork or something.

We do have our sinful nature, which is plenty evil enough, but most have sensed a Spiritual evil presence beyond themselves, that scares the daylights out of them, but pretend it doesn't exist because the have not found the power over it in Christ, so they try and pretend it doesn't exist. Those who truly look for the very real devil find him quite easily.

aikido7
October 1st, 2015, 12:57 PM
We do have our sinful nature, which is plenty evil enough, but most have sensed a Spiritual evil presence beyond themselves, that scares the daylights out of them, but pretend it doesn't exist because the have not found the power over it in Christ, so they try and pretend it doesn't exist. Those who truly look for the very real devil find him quite easily.I tend to believe that we all have trouble dealing with existential fear. So it just makes sense to me that we prefer to locate its source outside ourselves. It's much easier to claim "A bad man named Hitler took us over" than to admit "We voted him in with a democratic process."

We may differ big-time as far as St. Augustine's notion that sin is passed down through the generations in male sperm cells. I do not believe in the Augustinian concept of "original sin."

Having been an attentive and devoted father, I cannot accept the notion that all of us are "born into sin." Our shared DNA gives us free will, not a life sentence to behave badly.

Jamie Gigliotti
October 1st, 2015, 01:05 PM
I tend to believe that we all have trouble dealing with existential fear. So it just makes sense to me that we prefer to locate its source outside ourselves. It's much easier to claim "A bad man named Hitler took us over" than to admit "We voted him in with a democratic process."

We are accountable to whether or not our pride resists God and bad results. That has nothing to do with Spiritual realities.

I understand why you wouldn't believe my testimony. Believe Jesus.

MarcATL
October 2nd, 2015, 11:56 AM
For non-believers one of the biggest lies is that he does not exist. And for believers one of the biggest is that He is no threat.
Satan already has the world deceived, nothing new there.

Again, the main issue is not THAT God exists or doesn't exist its WHO God is. Without a correct understanding of WHO God is a soul WILL be lost. Period. Point blank.

Hence, Satan's goal is to paint God as unfair, unjust and a liar. AKA a FALSE portrayal of who God is, resulting in billions of lost souls.

MarcATL
October 2nd, 2015, 11:58 AM
I tend to believe that we all have trouble dealing with existential fear. So it just makes sense to me that we prefer to locate its source outside ourselves. It's much easier to claim "A bad man named Hitler took us over" than to admit "We voted him in with a democratic process."

We may differ big-time as far as St. Augustine's notion that sin is passed down through the generations in male sperm cells. I do not believe in the Augustinian concept of "original sin."

Having been an attentive and devoted father, I cannot accept the notion that all of us are "born into sin." Our shared DNA gives us free will, not a life sentence to behave badly.
Scripture states that we are born in sin and shapen in iniquity. That's all of us, aka every human being ever born.

RBBI
October 2nd, 2015, 06:18 PM
Salvation....