PDA

View Full Version : How are you feeling about Pope Francis lately?

kmoney
July 26th, 2015, 01:21 PM
I read an article about the Pope's popularity. It's down across the board. His numbers were quite high a while back but he's made some people angry it seems. :eek:

He's not making liberals happy because he hasn't done all they hoped for concerning homosexuality and abortion.

He's not making conservatives happy because he's criticizing capitalism a bit too much and has taken up the concern about man-made global warming.

There was a quote in the article that said many Catholics care more about their political ties than their religion. Probably true. But I don't think that's applicable to only Catholics.

So, after a while longer with Pope Francis, how do you think he's doing? I think I actually like him more which would put me in the minority. :think:

zoo22
July 26th, 2015, 01:38 PM
I like Pope Francis.

User Name
July 26th, 2015, 01:44 PM
"Fifty-nine percent of Americans said this month they had a favorable view of the pope, compared to 76 percent in February 2014, Gallup reported. The share of Americans who disapproved of the pope increased from 9 percent to 16 percent in the same period. The changes were most dramatic among political conservatives, whose opinion of Francis nosedived by 27 percentage points to 45 percent. Among Catholics, Francis' approval dropped by 18 percentage points to 71 percent." -- http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2015/07/22/poll-us-views-of-francis-dim-a-plunge-in-approval-ratings

59% favorable is still high for a public figure, I think.

Selaphiel
I like him a lot. I think the liberals are being rather unrealistic if they think he would go against the traditional teaching of the church on those points. The conservatives just shows that tradition is not that important anymore when it is their own political presuppositions that are being challenged.

Does anyone actually believe that the Catholic social teaching is unrestricted laissez-faire capitalism and unrestricted domination, abuse and destruction of the worlds ecosystems?

Cruciform
Thank you for the fair and even-handed summary in your OP; it's quite refreshing on such a forum as TOL. While I personally liked his two predecessors a bit more, I'm satisfied with Pope Francis' tenure overall. Much unnecessary ado has been caused by the tendency of the mainstream media to take the Pope's comments out of context and running with them without any genuine understanding of his actual meaning. This has been the case with past popes as well, but seems to be a bit more of a problem for Francis. In any case, I pray for him often, and thank God for such a humble and faithful shepherd.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

User Name
July 26th, 2015, 01:49 PM
While I personally liked his two predecessors a bit more, I'm satisfied with Pope Francis' tenure overall.

I didn't much care for Benedict XVI (the last pope). He earned his reputation, and I think that it was his lack of popularity that was the real reason why he made the unprecedented decision to retire.

I think Francis is doing a great job.

Cruciform
July 26th, 2015, 03:37 PM
I didn't much care for Benedict XVI (the last pope). He earned his reputation...
Which "reputation" was that?

...and I think that it was his lack of popularity that was the real reason why he made the unprecedented decision to retire.
Not according to Benedict himself.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

User Name
July 26th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Which "reputation" was that?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/opinion/sunday/douthat-the-ratzinger-legacy.html

Not according to Benedict himself.

Of course not.

The Berean
July 26th, 2015, 04:00 PM
I didn't much care for Benedict XVI (the last pope). He earned his reputation, and I think that it was his lack of popularity that was the real reason why he made the unprecedented decision to retire.

I think Francis is doing a great job.

I was vacationing in Mexico when Benedict XVI visited (2012 I think). I was in Leon, Guanajuato during his arrival and drive through the city. He was extremely well received by the Mexican people. He was treated like a rock star.

User Name
July 26th, 2015, 04:14 PM
I was vacationing in Mexico when Benedict XVI visited (2012 I think). I was in Leon, Guanajuato during his arrival and drive through the city. He was extremely well received by the Mexican people. He was treated like a rock star.

This adds to what I was referring to above: http://www.gallup.com/poll/127058/pope-benedict-favorable-rating-drops.aspx

Cruciform
July 26th, 2015, 04:35 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/opinion/sunday/douthat-the-ratzinger-legacy.html[/url]
Is this---from your posted source---what you're referring to?

"It was the work of Ratzinger’s subsequent career, first as John Paul II’s doctrinal policeman and then as his successor, to re-establish where Catholicism actually stood. This was mostly a project of reassertion: yes, the church still believes in the Resurrection, the Trinity and the Virgin birth. Yes, the church still opposes abortion, divorce, sex outside of marriage. Yes, the church still considers itself the one true faith. And yes — this above all, for a man whose chief gifts were intellectual — the church believes that its doctrines are compatible with reason, scholarship and science.

It was understandable that this project made Ratzinger many enemies. It turned him into a traitor to his class, since it involved disciplining theologians who had been colleagues, peers and rivals. It disappointed or wounded the many Catholics who couldn’t reconcile the church’s teachings with their post-sexual-revolution lives."

If so, this has more to do with the Church's often-wrongly-perceived reputation than Benedict's. Also: The New York Times? You could hardly find a media publication more biased against---and ignorant of---the Catholic Church and her teachings.

Of course not.
You'll need an infinitely better source than the NYT behind you if your intention is to accuse Pope Benedict of lying, or if you want to pedal some sort of anti-Benedictine conspiracy theory.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

M. A. Williams
July 26th, 2015, 04:57 PM
There was a quote in the article that said many Catholics care more about their political ties than their religion. Probably true. But I don't think that's applicable to only Catholics.

I think that's quite common. There are a lot of people, for example, that are Republican first and a Christian second.

I think if we lived more Christ-like lives in general, we wouldn't expect as an electorate or enact as a politician half or more of the things that exist today... So it's a shame to see people so caught up on politics.

rexlunae
July 26th, 2015, 05:26 PM
He's good...as popes go. My favorite in a long time. So much better than the last guy.

Caino
July 26th, 2015, 05:42 PM
I read an article about the Pope's popularity. It's down across the board. His numbers were quite high a while back but he's made some people angry it seems. :eek:

He's not making liberals happy because he hasn't done all they hoped for concerning homosexuality and abortion.

He's not making conservatives happy because he's criticizing capitalism a bit too much and has taken up the concern about man-made global warming.

So, after a while longer with Pope Francis, how do you think he's doing? I think I actually like him more which would put me in the minority. :think:

So he has a set, I still like him.

aCultureWarrior
July 26th, 2015, 05:51 PM
I think I actually like him more which would put me in the minority. :think:

Gee, I wonder why you and so many of TOL's secular humanists like Frank?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ASAY8lnmwGU/UunHKd_WDGI/AAAAAAAAAKY/vwSNL34EStg/s1600/xpope-francis-on-the-advocate.jpg.pagespeed.ic.3XwCW-nvSl.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ASAY8lnmwGU/UunHKd_WDGI/AAAAAAAAAKY/vwSNL34EStg/s1600/xpope-francis-on-the-advocate.jpg.pagespeed.ic.3XwCW-nvSl.jpg

kmoney
July 29th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Thank you for the fair and even-handed summary in your OP; it's quite refreshing on such a forum as TOL. While I personally liked his two predecessors a bit more, I'm satisfied with Pope Francis' tenure overall. Much unnecessary ado has been caused by the tendency of the mainstream media to take the Pope's comments out of context and running with them without any genuine understanding of his actual meaning. This has been the case with past popes as well, but seems to be a bit more of a problem for Francis. In any case, I pray for him often, and thank God for such a humble and faithful shepherd.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Why do you like his two predecessors more?

kmoney
July 29th, 2015, 03:01 PM
I like him a lot. I think the liberals are being rather unrealistic if they think he would go against the traditional teaching of the church on those points. The conservatives just shows that tradition is not that important anymore when it is their own political presuppositions that are being challenged.
Agreed.

HisServant
July 29th, 2015, 03:13 PM
I think he should keep his focus on his church and stay out of global politics.

I wish he wasn't coming to Philadelphia either... its going to be a horrible mess for us locals.

kmoney
July 29th, 2015, 03:25 PM

I wish he wasn't coming to Philadelphia either... its going to be a horrible mess for us locals.

I live about 90 minutes west of Philly. I was at the mall the other day and one of the department stores had Pope Francis, Philadelphia 2015 shirts. :eek: :chuckle:

kmoney
July 29th, 2015, 03:26 PM
What specific topics do you have in mind?

Cruciform
July 29th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Why do you like his two predecessors more?
John Paul II and Benedict XVI were more doctrinally-oriented and intellectually-focused than Francis, and I'm just wired more that way, I suppose.

republicanchick
July 29th, 2015, 06:48 PM

I need to know more about him.

I didn't appreciate ONE bit that remark he made about how families shouldn't "breed like rabbits"

HELLLLOOOO~!

the Church is not in favor of artificial b control... (rcc is in favor of natural means of controlling birth, but Catholic teaching generally holds that if you can have many children you should)

so what gives w/that?

++

republicanchick
July 29th, 2015, 06:49 PM
John Paul II and Benedict XVI were more doctrinally-oriented and intellectually-focused than Francis, and I'm just wired more that way, I suppose.

me too. My brother once got on my case b/c I chose the intellectual over the... whatever it was... aspect of faith... whatever the opposite of intellectual is...

But he is not the most intellectual person you'd meet so that is to be expected. He is FAR from dumb... just doesn't read newspapers from cover to cover like some people do... etc..

+++

Nick M
July 29th, 2015, 07:58 PM
I like Pope Francis.

Why? I know why chrysostom does. He is a homer. What is your reasoning?

Nick M
July 29th, 2015, 07:59 PM
There are a lot of people, for example, that are Republican first and a Christian second.

Do you need a list of TOL members and their CEO and CEOette?

kmoney
July 30th, 2015, 03:18 PM

Were JPII and BXVI heavier on the links? :D

Cons&Spires
July 30th, 2015, 03:51 PM
The only thing I've liked about Pope Francis is his ability to bring back older ideologies, like Purgatory. (Yes, I'm one of the few Protestants who hold to Purgatory :)). Among other things, but he's hit the scrimmage line on a number of things he should be staying away from. Like issuing an idea that an atheist can be saved, which is utterly unorthodox.

User Name
July 30th, 2015, 04:36 PM
he's hit the scrimmage line on a number of things he should be staying away from. Like issuing an idea that an atheist can be saved, which is utterly unorthodox.
Here’s what Pope Francis really said about atheists:

The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter that so much. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.
The Pope… simply reminded the faithful that there can be, and is, goodness, or natural virtue, outside the Church. And that Christ’s death on the Cross redeemed all men. He paid the price so that every man could come to God and be saved.
Source: http://www.catholicvote.org/what-pope-francis-really-said-about-atheists/

Cruciform
July 30th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Were JPII and BXVI heavier on the links? :D
No, but they wrote more books, by far.

aikido7
July 30th, 2015, 05:07 PM

So, after a while longer with Pope Francis, how do you think he's doing? I think I actually like him more which would put me in the minority. :think:As long as he steers clear of Jesus, he should be okay.

I don't really think the church actually wants to remember Jesus (except in the case of "believing IN him as...etc.").

Folks are more comfortable in a "belief-oriented' faith rather than an "action-based" religion.

Cons&Spires
July 30th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Here’s what Pope Francis really said about atheists:

The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter that so much. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.
The Pope… simply reminded the faithful that there can be, and is, goodness, or natural virtue, outside the Church. And that Christ’s death on the Cross redeemed all men. He paid the price so that every man could come to God and be saved.
Source: http://www.catholicvote.org/what-pope-francis-really-said-about-atheists/

God reassured that the unbelievers will serve as a contrast between us and them.

It sounds cold, and perhaps He will save some nonetheless- but Christianity proposes that much of all of mankind is adversarial to you.. God is the Christian's liberator.

Universalism, anyway, is a well known heresy which is completely unorthodox.

Puppet
July 30th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Pope is the highest boaster on this planet.

Cons&Spires
July 30th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Pope is the highest boaster on this planet.

The only branch of Catholicism, even over the Eastern Orthodox, which worships itself :D

The idea that God would put that sort of power to a man is simply preposterous- not Moses or David had the supremacy that the Pope claims to have_

Cruciform
July 30th, 2015, 10:22 PM
The idea that God would put that sort of power to a man is simply preposterous...
...according to the assumptions and opinions you've derived from your preferred recently-invented. man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway. And yet, that's precisely what God chose to do (see this (http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/PeterRockKeysPrimacyRome.htm) and this (http://scripturecatholic.com/the_church.html)).

Cons&Spires
July 30th, 2015, 10:26 PM
...according to the assumptions and opinions you've derived from your preferred recently-invented. man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway. And yet, that's precisely what God chose to do (see this (http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/PeterRockKeysPrimacyRome.htm) and this (http://scripturecatholic.com/the_church.html)).

Think of the word 'reformation'. It is a resorting back to the original status and notions of Christianity before the Roman and Greek churches mucked it all up with their desire to control the laity of Christ.

Peter was a mighty apostle, and perhaps he had a succession for a while. But all I see from the 4th century on is coattailing off his eminence. To be sure, the Church has ran rampant with a war horse which Christ would never command.

User Name
July 30th, 2015, 10:33 PM
The idea that God would put that sort of power to a man is simply preposterous- not Moses or David had the supremacy that the Pope claims to have_

And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Cons&Spires
July 30th, 2015, 10:36 PM
And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

He was speaking to Peter, you see. Not somebody usurping his seat almost two thousand years later.

In other words, there's a reason why the King James Version translates 'Idoltress' into 'Whore'.
I need not say more_

Cruciform
July 30th, 2015, 10:58 PM
Think of the word 'reformation'. It is a resorting back to the original status and notions of Christianity before the Roman and Greek churches mucked it all up with their desire to control the laity of Christ. Peter was a mighty apostle, and perhaps he had a succession for a while. But all I see from the 4th century on is coattailing off his eminence. To be sure, the Church has ran rampant with a war horse which Christ would never command.
Already answered (Post #34).

Cons&Spires
July 30th, 2015, 11:06 PM

I'm taking account to the post you've said answers my rebuke, and see nothing but a rehash of what I rebutted.

To be clear, the succession ended when the Dark Ages came into play, about 400AD. That is when the Catholic Church became completely asinine, even holding auction for the next pope, and probably because nobody wanted to take that insane burden.

The Church took on Demonology primarily to account for it's own evil within it's ranks. I mean, what more needs to be explained, seriously..
I'm not going to sit here and make something up that's unhistorical- the Church was in a sad state for a very long time, and then waged a vain war on the holy lands which did nothing but kill a lot of integral man, Christian and Muslim alike.

Cruciform
July 31st, 2015, 03:35 PM
I'm taking account to the post you've said answers my rebuke, and see nothing but a rehash of what I rebutted.
Rebutted, but not refuted. Merely posting an alternative opinion in no way constitutes a disproof of the material to which you're responding. Post #34.

To be clear, the succession ended when the Dark Ages came into play, about 400AD.
Now go ahead and post your proof for this unsubstantiated assertion.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

annabenedetti
August 5th, 2015, 06:56 AM

One of the things I like about Pope Francis: He rides the bus.

http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/kathyschiffer/files/2013/03/Pope-Francis-on-the-bus-2.jpg

This photo was taken before he became pope, but he took the same austerity with him when he went to the Vatican.

He has compassion for the poor, the marginalized, the suffering.

I like his quote regarding

... "trickle-down theories" which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and social inclusiveness in the world. The promise was that when the glass was full, it would overflow, benefiting the poor. But what happens instead, is that when the glass is full, it magically gets bigger - nothing ever comes out for the poor."

Stuu
August 5th, 2015, 12:36 PM
"I wish to apologise to all women who were denied a varied and stimulating married life because of the Holy See's mindless insistence that they be locked into their reproductive cycle without contraception, and indeed to all of humanity for the contribution this dogma has made to poverty. I am very sorry for my inability to overcome the mindlessness of dogmas to recommend condoms for married couples where one is HIV positive. I acknowledge that while the Roman Catholic Church goes on and on about the sanctity of life, frankly it knows nothing at all about the value of life.

I'm sorry to the democratic peoples of countries throughout history whose Catholic leaders were tacitly threatened with excommunication if they didn't sign a Concordat with the Holy See that undemocratically diverted resources to our advantage.

When I asked who I was to judge gay people, I feel I didn't go far enough. What I perhaps should have said was that, if any two consenting adults wish to express their love in whatever way they choose, then only an unworthy god would disapprove - there is precious little love in the world as it is.

On the question of child abuse in the church, what I should have done was to open all archives and fire any official or priest who failed to report all suspected abuse to police or attempted in any way to dodge legally binding compensation judgements. That might at least have done something to stop the serial child rapists who have been moved from parish to parish.

There is much more misery that this church could own up to than I have time to apologise for today.

I will now be dissolving the Holy See and turning the 'Vatican' suburb of Rome over to the Italian people. For too long now we have used our UN status as a 'country' to hide our criminals and others' too. I will be ordering the bulldozing of the grotesquely opulent St Peters, and all the other structures around it except the Sistine Chapel, which will remain a monument to the brilliant gay man who painted it. The cleared grounds will be converted to an international childrens' park, dedicated to the children of all ages who have suffered under our fascism. No priests or brothers will be allowed on the site.

I am now leaving this creaking monster of a church and hope to live up to my humanitarian ideals, but will do so without the inhumane dogmas, the silly hat and the shoes from the Wizard of Oz."

- Jorge Bergoglio (the former pope 'Francis'), speaking on a bus to reporters, Calcutta, 2017.

chrysostom
August 5th, 2015, 01:31 PM

http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/kathyschiffer/files/2013/03/Pope-Francis-on-the-bus-2.jpg

This photo was taken before he became pope, but he took the same austerity with him when he went to the Vatican.

... "trickle-down theories" which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and social inclusiveness in the world. The promise was that when the glass was full, it would overflow, benefiting the poor. But what happens instead, is that when the glass is full, it magically gets bigger - nothing ever comes out for the poor."

all he has to do is explain why his people are coming to our country
and
where the vatican is getting all their money

kmoney
August 5th, 2015, 03:10 PM

What do you think that means?

kmoney
August 5th, 2015, 03:13 PM

That's one of the things I like about him as well. Catholicism's use of wealth is one of the things that rubs me the wrong way at times so it's nice to see someone take a different route. Perhaps he could work on making the Vatican more austere. ;)

HisServant
August 5th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Saw this quote the other day.. it fits.

Pope Francis is the coolest leader of a Nazi-sympathizing, genocide supporting, child raping organization I have ever seen!

kmoney
August 5th, 2015, 03:25 PM

I wonder if his view of things is partially shaped by being from Argentina where he may have had a closer view of some of the things that were done with/in South American economies during the 1970s.

Cruciform
August 5th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Saw this quote the other day.. it fits.
Your quotation is demonstrably idiotic, as is your mindless and bigoted agreement with it. At least you're consistent.

PopeFrancieLXIX
August 5th, 2015, 07:17 PM
I believe Pope Francis has done well and is ultimately paving the way for a renewal and revolution in the Catholic Church.

HisServant
August 5th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Your quotation is demonstrably idiotic, as is your mindless and bigoted agreement with it. At least you're consistent.

Except that everything mentioned is factually correct.

Stuu
August 6th, 2015, 02:46 AM
I believe Pope Francis has done well and is ultimately paving the way for a renewal and revolution in the Catholic Church.
He has done some very fancy rearranging of the deck chairs on his Titanic.

Stuart

Cruciform
August 6th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Except that everything mentioned is factually correct.
Only if Non Sequitur and Straw Man Fallacies are "factually correct." Back to Post #48.

HisServant
August 6th, 2015, 03:19 PM
I'm getting more an more irritated as to how Mayor Nutter is shutting down large sections of the city to cater to his visit. I live and work in the burbs.. but along the SEPTA regional rail lines. Lansdale and other towns are going to have huge parking issues.

I should opened a tow truck business... I bet I could make quite a few bucks over those two days.

aikido7
August 6th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Saw this quote the other day.. it fits.But as long as he attempts to follow in Jesus' footsteps the traditional believer will continue to feel a maddening conflict with the man.

kmoney
August 9th, 2015, 01:07 PM

Specifically what?

patrick jane
August 9th, 2015, 01:50 PM
i feel like i have met the Pope; like he's my next door neighbor. it's a warm comforting feeling i get -

Cruciform
August 9th, 2015, 03:37 PM
See this (http://www.setonmagazine.com/latest-articles/does-the-church-change-her-teaching).

everready
August 9th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Thought you might find this interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKcXTYWh2F0

everready

patrick jane
August 9th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Thought you might find this interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKcXTYWh2F0

everready

no. but thanks anyway