PDA

View Full Version : Traits you dislike

Thunder's Muse
September 5th, 2014, 07:58 AM
What makes you dislike a person? Do you dislike people as soon as you see them/interact on TOL or does it take time? What about the saying 'what you dislike in others, you dislike in yourself' , is that always true?

Your thoughts? :)

resurrected
September 5th, 2014, 08:02 AM
people who always have to have the first response

they suck

Thunder's Muse
September 5th, 2014, 08:05 AM
people who always have to have the first response

they suck

I like 'em...go-getters :)

GFR7
September 5th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Ha, Rez.

Sometimes you can initially dislike someone and then come to admire them; or vice versa - you wind up despising whom you initially admired.

I hate hypocrisy more than anything. Also superficiality.

Thunder's Muse
September 5th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Ha, Rez.

Sometimes you can initially dislike someone and then come to admire them; or vice versa - you wind up despising whom you initially admired.

I hate hypocrisy more than anything. Also superficiality.

It's funny how perceptions can change.

Buzzword
September 5th, 2014, 10:14 AM
An attitude of smug superiority will shoot down a potential friendship for me every time.

People who worship their kids, and genuinely can't believe anyone would ever want to abstain from procreation.

Also anyone who feels the need to tie EVERYTHING (sports, hobbies, current events, the trick they just taught their dog) back to religion in conversation.
God forbid I want to discuss something else ever.

Ad hominems, personal insults, refusal to acknowledge one's own fallacies, etc.

...these are for everywhere, by the way, not just on TOL.

Thunder's Muse
September 5th, 2014, 10:15 AM
An attitude of smug superiority will shoot down a potential friendship for me every time.

People who worship their kids, and genuinely can't believe anyone would ever want to abstain from procreation.

Also anyone who feels the need to tie EVERYTHING (sports, hobbies, current events, the trick they just taught their dog) back to religion in conversation.

Nick M
September 5th, 2014, 10:39 AM
An attitude of smug superiority will shoot down a potential friendship for me every time....Ad hominems, personal insults, refusal to acknowledge one's own fallacies, etc.

That rules out most liberals.

Rusha
September 5th, 2014, 10:45 AM

^ These ...

Add to self-appointed mind readers who make ridiculous claims about what others REALLY believe rather than just admit not everyone agrees with them.

PureX
September 5th, 2014, 11:09 AM
I just don't like it when people won't acknowledge and deal with their own defects. So instead they end up spewing their failure all over everyone else.

If you're not the brightest bulb in the box, (and who is?) then own up to it: shut up and listen when someone smarter comes along. Maybe you'll learn something and won't be such a dim bulb, next time around. But don't exaggerate your ignorance by trying to pretend you're something that you're not, and insulting and disparaging anyone who doesn't bow to your stupidity.

You were abused as a child, and now your an angry, broken adult? I feel for you, I really do. Until you start acting like and angry broken child. Because the difference between a child and an adult is that an adult owns up to the abuse and the damage they've received, and works at overcoming it so as not to inflict it on others. Abusive behavior is self-replicating, and it has to be consciously challenged, within, to break that chain of cause and effect.

You're pathetically addicted to the idea of your own righteousness, as you imagine it has been conferred upon you by your Bible idol? Whoop-tee-doo. No one cares. You're no different than any other drunk or dope fiend in the world: obsessed with getting your next ego-fix. And by any means necessary, and at anyone else's expense. You're a loser and a parasite.

And so on …

The common theme is people who can't or won't face their own crap, and so are constantly smearing it all over anyone else who happens to come in contact with them.

Nick M
September 5th, 2014, 08:08 PM
People that are subtil about belief due to their agenda.

intojoy
September 5th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Drivers that suck at driving

Thunder's Muse
September 5th, 2014, 08:26 PM
:chuckle:

JosephR
September 5th, 2014, 08:31 PM
What makes you dislike a person? Do you dislike people as soon as you see them/interact on TOL or does it take time? What about the saying 'what you dislike in others, you dislike in yourself' , is that always true?

people have allways had negative immediate interactions with me, maybe because I am quite? or have a negative vibe?..

it seems either they really like me but most do not on sight or first contact..

ahh i see your saying on TOL..ehh prolly same lol

i dont see people I am either against or dislike. I enjoy talking with most people,I see everyone as souls in body's enjoying or dealing with the world as I am.Some like negative attention, and crave tension and conflict. Thats ok, I dont understand why I cant bite my own teeth or see my own eye.I just log it as life and keep going :rapture:

Thunder's Muse
September 5th, 2014, 08:33 PM
people have allways had negative immediate interactions with me, maybe because I am quite? or have a negative vibe?..

it seems either they really like me but most do not on sight or first contact..

ahh i see your saying on TOL..ehh prolly same lol

i dont see people I am either against or dislike. I enjoy talking with most people,I see everyone as souls in body's enjoying or dealing with the world as I am.Some like negative attention, and crave tension and conflict. Thats ok, I dont understand why I cant bite my own teeth or see my own eye.I just log it as life and keep going :rapture:

I liked you right away :)

Spitfire
September 5th, 2014, 09:25 PM
First and foremost: obscuritan (http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3192473&postcount=5) tendencies.

Thunder's Muse
September 5th, 2014, 09:26 PM
First and foremost: obscuritan (http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3192473&postcount=5) tendencies.

Indeed :)

Thunder's Muse
September 5th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Do you think people can change?

Spitfire
September 5th, 2014, 09:32 PM
I know that I have changed.

Thunder's Muse
September 5th, 2014, 09:33 PM
I know that I have changed.

Yeah, me too :)

resurrected
September 5th, 2014, 09:39 PM
i just changed my socks

:think: last week

Thunder's Muse
September 5th, 2014, 09:43 PM
i just changed my socks

:think: last week

There's a thread there, somewhere :)

resurrected
September 5th, 2014, 09:46 PM
darn

Thunder's Muse
September 5th, 2014, 09:47 PM
:chuckle:

Thunder's Muse
September 5th, 2014, 09:54 PM
The radio is playing Phil Collins 'In the air tonight'. I like that song.

Carry on :)

resurrected
September 5th, 2014, 10:04 PM
severe thunderstorm watch on here - due to blow in in an hour or so

http://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/index.php?config=&forecast=pass&pass=radar2&hwvMapType=flat&hwvRadType=ptype&hwvRadWidth=480&hwvRadHeight=360&pands=&zipcode=13640&country=us&icao=KART&county=36045&zone=nyz007&cwa=BUF

i think i'll nap on the couch and watch the light show

:wave2:

Thunder's Muse
September 5th, 2014, 10:04 PM
severe thunderstorm watch on here - due to blow in in an hour or so

http://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/index.php?config=&forecast=pass&pass=radar2&hwvMapType=flat&hwvRadType=ptype&hwvRadWidth=480&hwvRadHeight=360&pands=&zipcode=13640&country=us&icao=KART&county=36045&zone=nyz007&cwa=BUF

i think i'll nap on the couch and watch the light show

:wave2:

Enjoy :)

Angel4Truth
September 5th, 2014, 10:05 PM
People who demand an answer to one question, after they have ignored several you have asked them.

Thunder's Muse
September 5th, 2014, 10:09 PM

Buzzword
September 5th, 2014, 11:49 PM
People who demand an answer to one question, after they have ignored several you have asked them.

Especially when your question asks for clarification of the question.

Grosnick Marowbe
September 5th, 2014, 11:54 PM

intojoy
September 6th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Abusing authority

chrysostom
September 6th, 2014, 11:51 AM

good post grosnick

GFR7
September 6th, 2014, 12:23 PM
...You must dislike SOME traits. :chuckle:

Rusha
September 6th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Cruelty
Abuse
Racism
Arrogance
Misogyny

GFR7
September 6th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Cruelty
Abuse
Racism
Arrogance
MisogynyRushie cannot see this as she has me on 'ignore' :think:
But I dislike all those things as well. :AMR1:

GFR7
September 6th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Add:
Misandry
Cruelty to animals
Hypocrisy
Greed
Arrogance
Violence
Corrupt Power

GFR7
September 6th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Abusing authorityI agree- one of the worst traits.

Rusha
September 6th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Crudeness
Profanity
Slang
Babytalk

PureX
September 6th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Crudeness
Profanity
Slang
BabytalkBabytalk? :think:

GFR7
September 6th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Babytalk? :think:She means because I call her "Rushie" :think:

resurrected
September 6th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Crudeness
Profanity
Slang
Babytalk

oh baby - i love it when you talk that way

Rusha
September 6th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Babytalk? :think:

TSF

PureX
September 6th, 2014, 02:04 PM
She means because I call her "Rushie" :think:Oh, she means insulting condescension, then.

CatholicCrusader
September 6th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Traits you dislike

Liars. I hate liars. I really do.

That's probably why so many people in this forum disgust me because they outright lie about Catholicism. They don't debate facts, they make up lies and then try to use the lies as weapons.

GFR7
September 6th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Oh, she means insulting condescension, then.Well, I know that I meant it as affectionate and endearing. :AMR1:

Haven't you ever called anyone you like by a nickname? :think:

I think always attributing evil motives to someone is very low.

PureX
September 6th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Well, I know that I meant it as affectionate and endearing. :AMR1:

Haven't you ever called anyone you like by a nickname? :think:

I think always attributing evil motives to someone is very low.I think you are passive aggressive, and insult people while you pretend to 'compliment' them.

resurrected
September 6th, 2014, 03:18 PM
I think you are passive aggressive, and insult people while you pretend to 'compliment' them.

i think the moniker you've earned is hilarious :thumb:

GFR7
September 6th, 2014, 03:27 PM
I think you are passive aggressive, and insult people while you pretend to 'compliment' them.I know, I keep being accused of that - I absolutely disagree, and people who know me in person know that I am uncomplicated and very loving and cheerful.

I really dislike a Culture Warrior (due to his own vile behavior) and I have no trouble openly insulting him. I am neither affectionate or teasing with him, but quite insulting. If you and Rusha think this of me, that I am sneaky and passive-aggressive (I trait i find really wimpy and dorkish) then you are not the people I thought you were. :AMR1:

RCLady
September 6th, 2014, 04:48 PM
What makes you dislike a person? Do you dislike people as soon as you see them/interact on TOL or does it take time?

One thing that makes me dislike a person is when a person has an obstinate contempt for God which shows itself in various ways e.g. deriding Jesus Christ or His holy Mother, glorying in one's shame.

Some people make themselves known right away while others only gradually makes themselves known. Generally I do not dislike someone as soon as I see them.

What about the saying 'what you dislike in others, you dislike in yourself' , is that always true?

It's not always true. Oftentimes what people dislike in others, they like in themselves. An example would be people who dislike selfishness in others but glory in their own selfish behavior.

Cruciform
September 6th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Liars. I hate liars. I really do. That's probably why so many people in this forum disgust me because they outright lie about Catholicism. They don't debate facts, they make up lies and then try to use the lies as weapons.
It seems to me that most anti-Catholics aren't "lying" so much as simply uncritically and ignorantly repeating what they've derived from their particular man-made non-Catholic sect. People only "know" what they've been taught, and so most merely parrot the distorted assumptions and erroneous opinions of their chosen Protestant denomination or doctrinal tradition regarding what Catholics supposedly believe and teach.

That being said, there certainly are a relative few on TOL who know full well that they're misrepresenting Catholic teaching, and choose to do so anyway. These few are most definitely liars (Ex. 20:16; Prov. 19:5).

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Skybringr
September 6th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I think you are passive aggressive, and insult people while you pretend to 'compliment' them.

Most are actively aggressive, and insult people openly without pretending anything :think:

chrysostom
September 6th, 2014, 05:18 PM
It seems to me that most anti-Catholics aren't "lying" so much as simply uncritically and ignorantly repeating what they've derived from their particular man-made non-Catholic sect. People only "know" what they've been taught, and so most merely parrot the distorted assumptions and erroneous opinions of their chosen Protestant denomination or doctrinal tradition regarding what Catholics supposedly believe and teach.

That being said, there certainly are a relative few on TOL who know full well that they're misrepresenting Catholic teaching, and choose to do so anyway. These few are most definitely liars (Ex. 20:16; Prov. 19:5).

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

good post cruciform

Skybringr
September 6th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Saying all kinds of stupid things about Catholicism is usually the fast track to getting on my bad side :)

I don't mind critiquing and debating, but those sore, reckless anti-Catholics with a big chip on their shoulder.. ~noe~

chrysostom
September 6th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Saying all kinds of stupid things about Catholicism is usually the fast track to getting on my bad side :)

how long does that take?

Skybringr
September 6th, 2014, 05:23 PM
how long does that take?

Half the time it's their 1st post :chuckle:

musterion
September 6th, 2014, 05:24 PM
I dislike people who call those who stand on God's Word alone "ignorant," "deceived" and "liars."

GFR7
September 6th, 2014, 05:26 PM
One thing that makes me dislike a person is when a person has an obstinate contempt for God which shows itself in various ways e.g. deriding Jesus Christ or His holy Mother, glorying in one's shame.

Some people make themselves known right away while others only gradually makes themselves known. Generally I do not dislike someone as soon as I see them.

It's not always true. Oftentimes what people dislike in others, they like in themselves. An example would be people who dislike selfishness in others but glory in their own selfish behavior.Or, you could say people who dislike selfishness in others, refuse to see it or own it within themselves. I guess that then become HYPOCRISY, which is a very bad trait indeed. But a human failing: As Jesus said, we must get the board out of our eye before pointing out the speck in our brother's eye. :think:

GFR7
September 6th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Half the time it's their 1st post :chuckle::jawdrop: ............. :think: ............. :chuckle:

Rusha
September 6th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Sneaky deceivers ... and those who are incapable of ever accepting responsibility.

You know, like those who would sneak in under multiple ID's AFTER being banned, deny who they are and then blame their previous bans on everyone else.

Cruciform
September 6th, 2014, 05:53 PM
I dislike people who call those who stand on God's Word alone "ignorant," "deceived" and "liars."
Actually, those terms were specifically applied to those who post common distortions, anti-Catholic stereotypes, and un-informed clichés about Catholic teaching, rather than accurately representing the Catholic faith. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "God's word," but about failing to get their claims about Catholic beliefs right.

aikido7
September 6th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Hypocrisy, Dishonesty and cruelty. And the reason I can recognize these in other people is simple: I harbor these same qualities in myself.

Thunder's Muse
September 6th, 2014, 05:56 PM

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform

+T+

I love your posts :)

Thunder's Muse
September 6th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Thanks for participating, guys :)

Pos reps forthcoming :)

Cruciform
September 6th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Hypocrisy, Dishonesty and cruelty. And the reason I can recognize these in other people is simple: I harbor these same qualities in myself.
Oprah called... She wants her knee-jerk amateur New Age pop-psychological claptrap back.

Cruciform
September 6th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I love your posts :)
And I love people who love my posts! :straight:

Thunder's Muse
September 6th, 2014, 06:06 PM
And I love people who love my posts! :straight:

:D

aikido7
September 6th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Oprah called... She wants her knee-jerk amateur New Age pop-psychological claptrap back.A tired and predictable response to an attempt to use honesty and repentance.

Speaking of "pop psychology," I have always enjoyed the first century kind where Jesus tells us to "pay attention to the log in our own eye first before we point out the speck of sawdust in our neighbor's."

It took 2000 years for psychology to come up with the secular version of what Jesus actually said!

GFR7
September 6th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Oh, she means insulting condescension, then.:madmad:

Skybringr
September 6th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Sneaky deceivers ... and those who are incapable of ever accepting responsibility.

You know, like those who would sneak in under multiple ID's AFTER being banned, deny who they are and then blame their previous bans on everyone else.

Here's a fresh, cold one

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/shaowebb/whineken.jpg

Cruciform
September 6th, 2014, 11:23 PM
A tired and predictable response to an attempt to use honesty and repentance.
Rather, a pointed and accurate response to a vapid attempt to use trendy and mindless psycho-slogans.

Speaking of "pop psychology," I have always enjoyed the first century kind where Jesus tells us to "pay attention to the log in our own eye first before we point out the speck of sawdust in our neighbor's." It took 2000 years for psychology to come up with the secular version of what Jesus actually said!
Your awkward attempt at psychobabble has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus' theological teaching about right judgment. Try again.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

aikido7
September 7th, 2014, 05:22 PM
[...Rather, a pointed and accurate response to a vapid attempt to use trendy and mindless psycho-slogans.Noted.

Just wondering how you would post a commnent concerning your own wrong-headedness, cruelty, racism, and penchant to project your own feelings and faults onto another?

Your awkward attempt at psychobabble has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus' theological teaching about right judgment. Try again.If what I posted was not about right judgement, what the heck was it about?

I merely said that I too often point out faulsts in others that I myself deny in myself. Alas, it's an all-too-human dodge that allows me to feel superior to others (I guess).

I am willing to be responsible and accountable for my own shortcomings in dealing with others. When I posted about it, you immediately jumped in with a personal "dig" against me.

If you can think of a more adult way to discuss my post, then have back at me. If you are going to continue to degrade and mock my desire to be honest, then either move on or show me how you yourself would communicate the same thing:

Those traits that I dislike in others are traits that I need to own up to first.

That's what Jesus said as well.

St. Augustine found joy in the truth for its own sake. Truth is not conditioned by time or place, by who speaks it or how it is spoken.
We should rejoice in truth regardless of who speaks it.

elohiym
September 7th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Hypocrisy is the number one trait I dislike.

Thunder's Muse
September 7th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Those who deliberately manipulate others

elohiym
September 7th, 2014, 06:25 PM

That's horrible.
Do you believe that people can dislike traits they don't posses?
If you are freed from hypocrisy, dishonesty and cruelty, will you still recognize and dislike those traits you see in others?

elohiym
September 7th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Do you think people can change?

Yes, but some can't.

Thunder's Muse
September 7th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Yes, but some can't.

Yeah and it takes guts, too...being able to recognise and accept it is the first step to changing

elohiym
September 7th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Yeah and it takes guts, too...being able to recognise and accept it is the first step to changing

Sadly, many hold to doctrines that preclude them from thinking they can change, so they perceive essentially a license to be that way.

I was guilty of all the traits I dislike and recognizing and accepting that was a long and painful process. When I had those traits, I obviously didn't dislike them or not enough to stop expressing them.

Thunder's Muse
September 7th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Sadly, many hold to doctrines that preclude them from thinking they can change, so they perceive essentially a license to be that way.

I was guilty of all the traits I dislike and recognizing and accepting that was a long and painful process. When I had those traits, I obviously didn't dislike them or not enough to stop expressing them.

What is it that makes us suddenly able to see those things when they were unseen before?

elohiym
September 7th, 2014, 07:08 PM
What is it that makes us suddenly able to see those things when they were unseen before?

I have to answer God.
His Spirit opened my eyes to my faults.

Another way to look at it is your experience convinces you a trait is dislikeable, and then your belief it is dislikeable determines your rejection of that trait in yourself and a subsequent change in your behavior.

Thunder's Muse
September 7th, 2014, 07:09 PM
I have to answer God.

Another way to look at it is your experience convinces you a trait is dislikeable, and then your belief it is dislikeable determines your rejection of that trait in yourself and a subsequent change in your behavior.

Yeah, I agree with that :)

Lazy afternoon
September 9th, 2014, 01:58 AM
I have to answer God.

Calling the saints demons and having demons when asked to verify your salvation based on what you erroniously believe, and then refusing to talk to them is a sure sign of the rejection of Christ.

LA

aikido7
September 9th, 2014, 04:29 PM
That's horrible.
Do you believe that people can dislike traits they don't posses?
If you are freed from hypocrisy, dishonesty and cruelty, will you still recognize and dislike those traits you see in others?

There is no way under Heaven that we can recognize and understand traits in others without being aware of the same ones in ourselves. That's the way humans are.

aikido7
September 9th, 2014, 04:32 PM
... When I had those traits, I obviously didn't dislike them or not enough to stop expressing them.
There are always ways to express criticism or strong emotion in ways that do not come across as immature or cruel. Too often we say that it was the other person's actions that "caused" the less-than-kind reaction that arises in ourself.

PureX
September 9th, 2014, 04:33 PM
There is no way under Heaven that we can recognize and understand traits in others without being aware of the same ones in ourselves. That's the way humans are.That's true, but there's a very big difference between recognizing our own flaws in others because we PROJECTED them there, and recognizing them in others because we know them in ourselves.

The soul of bias and bigotry is projecting what we hate in ourselves onto others, so we can hate and condemn them, instead.

Lazy afternoon
September 9th, 2014, 09:40 PM
That's true, but there's a very big difference between recognizing our own flaws in others because we PROJECTED them there, and recognizing them in others because we know them in ourselves.

The soul of bias and bigotry is projecting what we hate in ourselves onto others, so we can hate and condemn them, instead.

My experience has been that when God speaks to one of His children about their faults then they often can see the same in another (often imagined) and think that God is using them to speak to another, but then it all comes out in a condemning manner until they repent themselves.

LA

PureX
September 10th, 2014, 09:26 AM
My experience has been that when God speaks to one of His children about their faults then they often can see the same in another (often imagined) and think that God is using them to speak to another, but then it all comes out in a condemning manner until they repent themselves.An apt observation.

elohiym
September 10th, 2014, 02:33 PM
There is no way under Heaven that we can recognize and understand traits in others without being aware of the same ones in ourselves. That's the way humans are.

What you are claiming is essentially only hypocrites can recognize hypocrites.
I can't agree with that.

Lazy afternoon
September 10th, 2014, 03:31 PM
I can't agree with that.

It is often the case though.

Nothing irritates a hypocrite like another hypocrite or one pure hearted.

LA

elohiym
September 10th, 2014, 03:57 PM
I can't agree with that.

aikido7
September 14th, 2014, 04:08 PM
We all have good intentions. What's difficult is to be able to recognize the actual, real-world EFFECTS of those "good intentions."

Hitler, for example, might have wanted to get rid of Jews to make sure Germany was safe from impure populations and immigration. But he obviously was unable to come up with alternative ways to guarantee his intention would be moral and acceptable.

Ha Nazir
September 14th, 2014, 06:30 PM

How do you feel about murderers, child molesters, wife beaters, corrupt government officials, terrorists, abortionists? How many of those traits do you have?