PDA

View Full Version : NEG REPPING ... and the Three W's

Rusha
August 18th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Since discussions about neg rep always seem to pop up, I thought I would initiate a *light-hearted, what makes you tick* sort of thread.

So ... the question is ...

Who. When. Why.

Knight
August 18th, 2014, 11:57 AM

Who. When. Why.Who. When. Why. What??

glorydaz
August 18th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Who. When. Why. What??

Who. When. Why. What. Where?

This is fun. :chuckle:

Rusha
August 18th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Who. When. Why. What??

Who, if anyone, do you neg on a regular basis? Why (or what criteria) do you use for neg repping?

When ... scratch that. Doesn't really apply. It was an extra W. :dizzy:

kmoney
August 18th, 2014, 12:14 PM
:mock: neg-reppers

glorydaz
August 18th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Who, if anyone, do you neg on a regular basis? Why (or what criteria) do you use for neg repping?

When ... scratch that. Doesn't really apply. It was an extra W. :dizzy:

At least my "where" should stay then....since Meshak thought it best to add where the offence took place, right?

Rusha
August 18th, 2014, 12:34 PM
At least my "where" should stay then....since Meshak thought it best to add where the offence took place, right?

Where did this happen? On TOL? :dizzy:

Obviously I had a blonde moment at the very instant I was *wording* the subject header. Of this thread.

Why?

Caffeine deficiency.

Town Heretic
August 18th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Since discussions about neg rep always seem to pop up, I thought I would initiate a *light-hearted, what makes you tick* sort of thread.

Who. When. Why.
Who? Repeat trolls mostly. When? Almost never. Why? Because I don't like the post and feel obliged to make the strongest possible statement on it, though again I tend to do that publicly. It's a rare confluence of things that sponsors a neg rep from me.

Oh, and kmo, randomly. :)

Rusha
August 18th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Who? Repeat trolls mostly. When? Almost never. Why? Because I don't like the post and feel obliged to make the strongest possible statement on it, though again I tend to do that publicly. It's a rare confluence of things that sponsors a neg rep from me.

Pretty much the same here. I normally aim negs at trolls, liars, stalkers and instigators.

Oh, and those who neg me first.

Town Heretic
August 18th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Pretty much the same here. I normally aim negs at trolls, liars, stalkers and instigators.

I forgot those, but sure. At least the first time. Some newbie did that and I returned and the goof forgot he started it and gave me another. I thought it was funny and just stopped. :chuckle: Can't remember who that was, but they got all indignant about it, which made it funnier.

glorydaz
August 18th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Where did this happen? On TOL? :dizzy:

Obviously I had a blonde moment at the very instant I was *wording* the subject header. Of this thread.

Why?

Caffeine deficiency.

Yeah, on one of her many "threads". I've never seen a person who says so much and so little at the same time. :listen:

Spitfire
August 18th, 2014, 01:19 PM
People seem to neg-rep me for saying something funny. As if to let me know that I was criminally unaware of the fact that the post I'd commented on was RLY SRS BSNS.

When I actually have more of a point, I'm far more likely to get one of those "I don't really appreciate what you said, so I'll express mild disapproval but look at me I'm pos-repping you instead of neg-repping you because I'M SO AMAZINGLY MAGNANIMOUS and yes I really am that wonderful" pos-reppings. :p

Quotation marks denote summary of the subtext, not quotation of actual words, of course. :p

Timotheos
August 18th, 2014, 02:08 PM

Who. When. Why.

I don't understand neg repping. Why should I care if I get neg repped? It is usually done to me because the person who negs me doesn't understand what the Bible says. How does that hurt me? Will I be banned from TOL (heaven forbid, my that would be awful! Sarcasm) if I get too many neg reps?

I think the only time I use neg reps, is when some moron calls me retarded. But I think this is the forum that asks you to spread reps around before giving it to resurrected again. So it isn't very effective.
I'm using the "Report Post" feature more and more. Who has time to sit at the computer and read ignorant insults?

elohiym
August 18th, 2014, 02:20 PM
I normally aim negs at trolls, liars, stalkers and instigators.

Me, too.

Who else would I have cause to neg rep? :idunno:

elohiym
August 18th, 2014, 02:26 PM
I think the only time I use neg reps, is when some moron calls me retarded.

:chuckle:

Pos rep for the laugh.

ebenz47037
August 18th, 2014, 03:03 PM
I don't normally neg rep anyone. I just get irritated when I see someone whining about how many neg reps she or he has and how neg repping is not Christian behavior.

Totton Linnet
August 18th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Meshackles being kept by the military should know the US military slogan.

"We hit where we can, when we can and as hard as we can"

rexlunae
August 18th, 2014, 03:58 PM
My main targets are misogyny, racism, homophobia, and abusive ad hominem, especially toward people not present to defend themselves. I try to avoid responding in kind to neg reps given to me because I feel that it cheapens mine and strengthens theirs. I prefer to treat unwarranted neg reps with complete contempt and disregard, which is, so far, all of them. If anyone actually did raise a fair and legitimate complaint in a neg rep, I would like to think that I would try to address it.

Totton Linnet
August 18th, 2014, 04:04 PM
I doesn't neg except to retaliate...one neg rep deserves 3 in return.

Some I take on the chin.

Town Heretic
August 18th, 2014, 04:36 PM
My main targets are misogyny, racism, homophobia, and abusive ad hominem
But other than aCW, who do you neg rep? :Plain:

I try to avoid responding in kind to neg reps given to me because I feel that it cheapens mine and strengthens theirs.
I also neg rep people who indirectly criticize my neg repping policy. :mmph: :eek:

I prefer to treat unwarranted neg reps with complete contempt and disregard, which is, so far, all of them. If anyone actually did raise a fair and legitimate complaint in a neg rep, I would like to think that I would try to address it.
Like that's going to happen...but I appreciate the principle.

Given that, have you ever felt obliged to offer an apology for something you wrote about or to someone you felt justified in disliking?

rexlunae
August 18th, 2014, 04:47 PM
But other than aCW, who do you neg rep? :Plain:

:rotfl:

I actually could name names, but that, I think, would almost be too empowering for them.

I also neg rep people who indirectly criticize my neg repping policy. :mmph: :eek:

Moi?

:carryon:

Like that's going to happen...but I appreciate the principle.

Given that, have you ever felt obliged to offer an apology for something you wrote about or to someone you felt justified in disliking?

Definitely. I can't really recall the circumstance, but I know it's happened. I try to be fair to everyone regardless. It's even caused me to reassess my opinion of those people in general. Sometimes those sentiments are borne more of misunderstanding than anything else.

alwight
August 18th, 2014, 05:08 PM

Who. When. Why.Someone who shall remain nameless wouldn't confront me in an open thread but chose to do so by the means of neg reps.
My own response capabilities by this means of communication were of a lower order so I couldn't as easily respond in kind, which I thought was rather unfair.
I eventually offered my opinion of this person in thread, so to speak, but this unnamed person then reported it and I was promptly banned for "name calling without a cause".:AMR:

Knight
August 18th, 2014, 05:26 PM
I haven't left a neg rep in years.

steko
August 18th, 2014, 05:42 PM
I've only neg-repped two of my closest friends. :noid:

Town Heretic
August 18th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I don't believe you (you figure out which part). :eek:

kmoney
August 18th, 2014, 05:46 PM

:noid:

steko
August 18th, 2014, 05:48 PM
I don't believe you (you figure out which part). :eek:

:idunno:

Totton Linnet
August 18th, 2014, 06:20 PM
I haven't left a neg rep in years.

You jus butteban

kmoney
August 18th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I doesn't neg except to retaliate...one neg rep deserves 3 in return.

Some I take on the chin.

"They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue."
- The Untouchables

Totty means bidness. :noid:

:D

Angel4Truth
August 18th, 2014, 07:10 PM

:)

Angel4Truth
August 18th, 2014, 07:15 PM

Same and i would add that i always neg rep ops that are made just to whine about their neg reps received - like this one for example: http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103689

Breathe
August 18th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Mean people. Don't like 'em. :Plain:

THall
August 18th, 2014, 07:33 PM

I had no idea
the system allows
you to neg rep
yourself?

Thunder's Muse
August 18th, 2014, 07:43 PM
I had no idea

the system allows

you to neg rep

yourself?

Oh...yeah...I see what you did there....genius....

Posted from the TOL App cause that's how I roll.

Arthur Brain
August 18th, 2014, 07:49 PM
I had no idea
the system allows
you to neg rep
yourself?

Probably the wittiest thing you've never said...:Plain:

I don't neg on personal principle. I'd sooner save those comments for on the threads, though I don't knock it in general for others who utilize it.

Ask Mr. Religion
August 18th, 2014, 08:04 PM
I think I have given three neg reps since joining. I prefer pos reps when I want to make a private short comment to the person (sort of like a chat box with positive benefits) or not to rep at all.

One thing I think would make a lot of fun is to start out the day pos repping as much as possible with conversational comments, e.g., How is the wife doing today?, What happened at the show last night?, etc. "Rep Chat Day" ! Yay!

The person so repped then pos reps back with related comments such that when you review your pos reps received a conversation of sorts appears. ;) If Knight would turn on the feature that lets you see the reps you have given then you would have a full conversation in your control panel on Rep Chat Day. Yay!

AMR

meshak
August 18th, 2014, 08:38 PM
I think I have given three neg reps since joining. I prefer pos reps when I want to make a private short comment to the person (sort of like a chat box with positive benefits) or not to rep at all.

One thing I think would make a lot of fun is to start out the day pos repping as much as possible with conversational comments, e.g., How is the wife doing today?, What happened at the show last night?, etc. "Rep Chat Day" ! Yay!

The person so repped then pos reps back with related comments such that when you review your pos reps received a conversation of sorts appears. ;) If Knight would turn on the feature that lets you see the reps you have given then you would have a full conversation in your control panel on Rep Chat Day. Yay!

AMR

that is good thing about you and Lon. He did the same thing to me even though his faith is so different from mine as you know.

I try to use the pos rep for conversation too. I even use pos rep for disagreeing.

I have learned this from Lon, my enemy.

Rusha
August 18th, 2014, 10:24 PM
I had no idea

And you never will ...

Tambora
August 19th, 2014, 01:17 AM
I rep when I feel like it.

Totton Linnet
August 19th, 2014, 04:06 AM
The number of times I have negged Nicky boy....but forgot to click the red button. Duh

bybee
August 19th, 2014, 05:13 AM
that is good thing about you and Lon. He did the same thing to me even though his faith is so different from mine as you know.

I try to use the pos rep for conversation too. I even use pos rep for disagreeing.

I have learned this from Lon, my enemy.

Lon is not an enemy. He holds differing views. Yet he is kindly and courteous.

Town Heretic
August 19th, 2014, 06:51 AM
:think: Meshak, you've missed yet another golden opportunity. You should exhaust your pos rep daily and then start a thread about how much better you are as a repper.

Maybe we could add an award to next year's show: the Grim Repper for the most negative maybe the Day Repper for the spreader of good tidings. :)

CabinetMaker
August 19th, 2014, 06:58 AM
I'm not a great repper, pos or neg. I tend to be a reactive neg repper but I mostly pos rep. If I don't agree, I only very rarely neg rep.

Lon
August 19th, 2014, 07:14 AM
I don't. Romans 12:20/Proverbs 25:22

MrDeets
August 19th, 2014, 08:51 AM
I did the neg thing for awhile. I got caught up in it, really. That part of me and some other things lead to my hiatus, and severe limit to my interaction once I started hanging around again. I don't think neg repping is a good way to converse with someone, nor is it a good way to teach them a lesson. In the future I will reserve my negs for downright nastiness or stupidity.

Skybringr
August 23rd, 2014, 11:23 PM
I don't neg rep. I did it one, maybe two times just to even out the odds with A4T and Rusha who consistently neg rep me at least once or twice week when I'm active.
And then they neg rep again because that's what haterz do :chuckle:

Serial neg reppers just have daddy issues or something.

Rusha
August 23rd, 2014, 11:51 PM
just have daddy issues or something.

You should work on that.

Timotheos
August 24th, 2014, 06:13 AM
If I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, but did not love others, I would be nothing.

Nick M
August 24th, 2014, 06:49 AM
... did not love others, I would be nothing.

Do you love your neighbor as yourself? Do you love God with all your heart, mind and soul?

Town Heretic
August 24th, 2014, 08:43 AM
I don't neg rep. I did it one, maybe two times just to even out the odds with A4T and Rusha who consistently neg rep me at least once or twice week when I'm active.
So you do neg rep, but only when you feel justified.

I bet that's rare. :Plain:

resurrected
August 24th, 2014, 08:43 AM

they're fun to mock :devil:

resurrected
August 24th, 2014, 09:01 AM
So you do neg rep

most people familiar with the english language would realize that he was saying that he didn't currently neg rep but did a couple of times in the past

but only when you feel justified.

I bet that's rare. :Plain:

oh, i see

you were misrepresenting what he said to give yourself an opportunity to make a demeaning comment to him in order to feed your ego

just like Jesus would do! :thumb:

resurrected
August 24th, 2014, 09:04 AM

they're fun to mock :devil:

see what i mean? :devil:

Timotheos
August 25th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Do you love your neighbor as yourself? Do you love God with all your heart, mind and soul?

That is the first and greatest commandment, and the commandment to love your neighbor is like it.