Bob Enyart Child Abuse- spanking conviction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Hi guys! It's so very kind of so many of you here at TOL to stand up for me. Let me give a few details that might clarify my conviction for child abuse:

Injury: It was widely reported that there was "broken skin" which would make even me conclude that I would have been guilty of child abuse, and that I had crossed the line of loving discipline. However, the police, who were on the scene literally just a few minutes after the spanking, did not bring our stepson to a clinic; there was no bandaging required, no ointment recommended, no blood, no band-aid, no treatment whatsoever. The "broken skin" referred to by those who despise me was a claim that resulted from a police photographer enlarging a small red mark to an oversized print; and if they enlarged a photo of my fingers right now did so with any mark, or even with my fingers right now as I type right now, they'd find the same "broken skin."

Belt: I spanked my stepson five times on the backside because of blatant disobedience and I left three red welts. This spanking was similar to how my dad spanked, and how we've spanked all of our boys, all of whom love us, as we so dearly love them. (We spank as the Bible teaches parents to spank their kids, and as does Dr. Dobson's original Dare to Discipline book and Michael and Debbi Pearl's Train up a Child.) I asked Cheryl for a belt instead of using my heavier one. Hers was not a cotton belt as has been said by some friends, but was sufficient to inflict a proper spanking, and I gave him five swats on the backside which left three red welts which were photographed by the police within about 15 minutes of the spanking. (Yes there was child abuse, but it was by the police showing pictures of a young boy's buttocks and allowing perverts to copy the court file.)

Stepson: Yes, when I spanked "______" he was not my stepson at the time of the spanking. I was having dinner with Cheryl and her boys, getting to know them better in the days just prior to us getting married. I don't recall the fact that he was not yet my stepson being significant in any of the trials we had about the spanking. Sadly, Colorado law couldn't care less whether people raising kids are even married. I haven't checked but I don't think Colorado law gives special authority to step-parents that is not available to those who are only engaged, so I don't know how this could be a "KEY" factor as "Peter" here at TOL has claimed. Even baby-sitters and teachers could spank kids, but the law indicates if there is an injury (pain, etc.) then it is child abuse. Cheryl and I decided immediately that we wouldn't use her son's name when talking about the spanking, and so when discussing the spanking, "I spanked my stepson."

Jail Time: It was alleged here on TOL by a Christian whose friendship I have enjoyed that I've tried to "cover-up" that I went to jail for this conviction. The whole episode played out over many months on live TV, radio, in the newspapers, and even with me going repeatedly on ABC's Politically Incorrect with Bill Maher. I'm sure my talk with "Peter" over lunch was the same as a hundred other similar conversations and trusting him I think he would agree with this account (I believe others were listening). I'm sure that after being critical of incarceration, such as by describing jail as time out for adults that is an ineffective deterrent (1 in 100 in Jail), I said, "I've spent six months in jail," and when Peter looked interested, I would have added smiling, "not for DUIs" but "for defending Christian family values." That's a catch phrase I use when I mention in passing my convictions for: Operation Rescue work, child discipline, leafleting in a shopping center parking lot as per U.S. & Colorado Supreme Court rulings. If I am going to brag, it should be only in the Lord, and in my own infirmities, so I jokingly brag about my incarceration and don't hesitate to talk about spanking my stepson. There is no possibility that Peter is correct that I stated that I "only served jail time for an Operation Rescue trial" and "NEVER" for any other reason. That would have been an absurd lie.

$panking: Regarding Denver's alternative newspaper, the anti-Christian Westword, asking me about the big money I made from publicity on the spanking trials, I'll share with you a detail that's not as well known. But first, sometimes I "answer a fool according to his folly," (Prov. 26:5) and I realize that sarcasm will often go over people's heads, but that doesn't mean that it is never warranted. I seem to recall that my spanking sentence was 120 days. I had a wonderful time in jail ministering to desperately miserable people and even helping to lead one emboldened child molester to the Lord (jail house conversions are often fake of course). On April 20th, the other inmates and I noticed that the mobile Command Center pulled out of the parking lot, and within minutes we saw the Columbine TV coverage, and a few days later I first met Brian Rohrbough and Lisa (months later I had the awesome honor of performing their wedding) as we talked on a telephone through a security glass. Also, the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department only allows inmates to make something like 400 minutes of long-distance calls per week and 240 minutes of local calls, so while that might have crimped my style, I did manage to do some live shows and we recorded our now classic James and Jude Bible study album from jail. So, just as from the Bible days, I had great ministry opportunity in jail but at the same time, I terribly missed my wife and children and of course Cheryl wanted her husband home because jail as a punishment is far more difficult on the wife and kids who have to keep on with the workload of normal life. The incarcerated husband is entertained most of the day with TV and movies, playing cards, gambling, sleeps, eats, and playing foosball (yes, foosball), ping pong, handball, basketball, etc. (God authorizes only three kinds of criminal punishments, restitution, corporal, and capital punishment). But with my high-profile case, we thought it likely that Sheriff John Stone (who we've rebuked widely after Columbine exposed his wickedness) might attempt to deny me normal "time off for good behavior." So to manipulate Stone, Cheryl and I staged a make-believe conversation. And it was clockwork. I said to her from the phone in the inmates' dayroom, "Oh, we're taking in how much a day? Wow! That much? Well, I'll only be in here another few weeks, but hopefully the money will keep coming in after I'm released." The inmates then asked me what that was about, and I told them we're taking in over $1,000 a day since I'd been incarcerated. That was it. They told the guard at the desk. He told the sergeant. He told the sheriff. Two days later, the Rocky Mountain News ran a story that Sheriff John Stone was proposing that the county charge inmates for room and board, and when he was asked in the story, "Aren't most inmates broke," he answered, "Yes, but we have one in jail right now :) who is wealthy." Ha. My stepson's dad is a lieutenant in JeffCo. When the Westwood reporter brought up the issue, I just got a kick out of it, and played it up. Answer a fool according to his folly.

Again, thanks to my friends at TOL for your kindness!

-Bob Enyart
KGOV.com

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Why bring this up now?
Because the topic was raised by others in other threads and via PM's so it appears that Bob is trying to make sure the air is "clear".

I like it because any time the topic gets raised in the future (and it will) I can simply reference this thread.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He was clearing up what others have brought up, though I think part of it was in private.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Because the topic was raised by others in other threads and via PM's so it appears that Bob is trying to make sure the air is "clear".

I like it because any time the topic gets raised in the future (and it will) I can simply reference this thread.

Ah, gotcha. I figured there was something goin' on. Thanks!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God bless parents that love their children enough to teach them right from wrong, and that life has consequences.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Anyone who takes a father away from his kids deserves to be strung up and shot :madmad:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Pastor Bob,

May God love you and keep you and your family.

Mr. Fiddytwenny: I have nothing to add either. :chuckle:

Fool: Note that I did not quote the entire opening post. I was tempted by Satan to do so in your honor. Protected by the gospel armor, I resisted the fiery dart from Satan.

fool

Hall of Fame
Fool: Note that I did not quote the entire opening post. I was tempted by Satan to do so in your honor. Protected by the gospel armor, I resisted the fiery dart from Satan.

Wow, that Satan is a hard working fella finding the time to temp you to quote an entire post just to irritate me. Amazing he has the time in between tormenting the dammed and campagining for Hillary.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Wow, that Satan is a hard working fella finding the time to temp you to quote an entire post just to irritate me.
I wanted to make you feel special.
Amazing he has the time in between tormenting the dammed and campagining for Hillary.
He is a hard-working dude. Satan doesn't worry with tormenting the damned since damnation is self-inflicted as is the torment attached thereto. Campaigning for Hillary? Never thought of that.

PDeverit

Inherited Bad Habit

Inherited Bad Habit

Child buttock-beating for the purpose of gaining compliance is nothing more than an inherited bad habit.

Its a good idea for people to take a look at what they are doing, and learn how to DISCIPLINE instead of hit.

I think the reason why television shows like Supernanny and Dr. Phil are so popular is because that is precisely what many (not all) people are trying to do .

There are several reasons why hitting kids isn't a good idea. Here are a few good reads:

Plain Talk About Spanking
by Jordan Riak

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children
by Tom Johnson

NO VITAL ORGANS THERE, So They Say
by Lesli Taylor, M. D. and Adah Maurer, Ph. D.

Here are just a handful of those engaged in trying to raise
awareness of why hitting kids isn't a good idea:

American Academy of Pediatrics

American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry

Center for Effective Discipline

Churches for Non-Violence (CNNV)

United Methodist Church

United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child

Parenting in Jesus' Footsteps

PsycHealth, Ltd.,
Behavioral Health Professionals

Global Initiative to End All
Corporal Punishment of Children

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Child buttock-beating for the purpose of gaining compliance is nothing more than an inherited bad habit.

Its a good idea for people to take a look at what they are doing, and learn how to DISCIPLINE instead of hit.
Welcome to TOL, PDeverit.

Have you ever investigated where God stands on this matter?

Do you know? Do you care?

C

cattyfan

I find it hard to comment on this because we're only getting one side of the story...and in all matters, there are always multiple perspectives.

I've never had a problem with corporal punishment (within reason, and not crossing to child abuse) when it's meted out by parents. I do have a problem with someone who isn't even legally yet a step-parent being the one to deliver the punishment. If the child needed that kind of firm hand, the mother should have handled it. (Goodness knows my mom did when necessary.) However, the mother was present, and she doesn't seem to have a problem with how things were handled.

I will also say I've never liked people hanging the police out to dry. Far too often, someone who is in trouble claims the police are the ones at fault...that's just a way to try to shift focus, and rarely is it the truth.

That said, I will repeat, only being given the one side (which rightfully and necessarily is biased being told from the perspective of only one involved party,) it is hard to draw any reasonable conclusions. And I do not know Pastor Enyart, so I cannot make any kind of personal determination.

I would suggest that everyone who is in the same boat as me (i.e. only knowing part of the story, and not being personally acquainted with the Pastor,) ALSO REFRAIN FROM JUMPING TO ANY CONCLUSIONS.

bybee

good points

good points

I find it hard to comment on this because we're only getting one side of the story...and in all matters, there are always multiple perspectives.

I've never had a problem with corporal punishment (within reason, and not crossing to child abuse) when it's meted out by parents. I do have a problem with someone who isn't even legally yet a step-parent being the one to deliver the punishment. If the child needed that kind of firm hand, the mother should have handled it. (Goodness knows my mom did when necessary.) However, the mother was present, and she doesn't seem to have a problem with how things were handled.

I will also say I've never liked people hanging the police out to dry. Far too often, someone who is in trouble claims the police are the ones at fault...that's just a way to try to shift focus, and rarely is it the truth.

That said, I will repeat, only being given the one side (which rightfully and necessarily is biased being told from the perspective of only one involved party,) it is hard to draw any reasonable conclusions. And I do not know Pastor Enyart, so I cannot make any kind of personal determination.

I would suggest that everyone who is in the same boat as me (i.e. only knowing part of the story, and not being personally acquainted with the Pastor,) ALSO REFRAIN FROM JUMPING TO ANY CONCLUSIONS.

Good sensible points to ponder. It is too easy to jump to judgment and possible be in error, but of course, then, the damage is done. bybee

PDeverit

Christian doesn't mean hitting is necessary

Christian doesn't mean hitting is necessary

Welcome to TOL, PDeverit.

Have you ever investigated where God stands on this matter?

Do you know? Do you care?

Just a handful of Christians for DISCIPLINE, against hitting:

Nobel Peace Prize Recipient Archbishop Desmond Tutu (supports Global Initiative to End All Corporal Punishment of Children)

Churches' Network for Non-Violence

The dangers of selective literalism:

"The Oracular Decisions of God have positively declared that the Slave-Trade is intrinsically good and licit, [and that the holding of slaves] is perfectly consonant to the principles of the Law of Nature, the Mosaic Dispensation, and the Christian Law" wrote one Raymond Harris in Scriptural Researches on the Licitness of the Slave-Trade. Thus, he said, slavery has "the positive sanction of God in its support."

Charles Jared Ingersolls African Slavery in America

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion"

Abraham Lincoln (who, also, is recorded to be a non-corporal punishment disciplinarian)

DownWithDallas!

There are several reasons why hitting kids isn't a good idea. Here are a few good reads:

Plain Talk About Spanking
by Jordan Riak

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children
by Tom Johnson

NO VITAL ORGANS THERE, So They Say
by Lesli Taylor, M. D. and Adah Maurer, Ph. D.

Here are just a handful of those engaged in trying to raise
awareness of why hitting kids isn't a good idea:

American Academy of Pediatrics

American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry

Center for Effective Discipline

Churches for Non-Violence (CNNV)

United Methodist Church

United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child

PsycHealth, Ltd.,
Behavioral Health Professionals

Global Initiative to End All
Corporal Punishment of Children

Yeah, lets just talk to our children before they are at an age of reason, and then when the get to that age we will define their defiance clinically as ADHD, of course accompanied by medication.

Yes, of course, these parenting techniques, those of the "super-nanny", work on some kids.

But I would've loved to see her on my little sister, hah? Kid had an unending defiance built into her soul, enjoyed a verbal fight. And she was like that from the beginning, baby on.

My parents didn't hit her either, hit me, because I was a boy and needed toughening and in the 9 years between us spanking went from good discipline to borderline child abuse. So they read, many of the type of books you talk about, they preached, lectured, had the stare down, didn't give in to the tantrum, took away everything she had...it didn't matter. Some kids/people only react, or act out of fear, my sister is like that. It's the only consequence she understands, immediate and physical.

She finally found true consequences once she turned 20, a DUI with a jail stint, a drug charge and getting kicked out of the house, right after she got fired. That was the first time in her life she finally grew humble and realized self destruction actually hurt her instead of other people.

Some children just don't get this, and all of those false consequences don't sink in. Spanking is immediate, spanking works, yes it MAY set a violent standard in the child's life, but discipline is a more important lesson. IMHO

Granite

Hall of Fame

I more or less agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.