Knight's POTD 2-15-2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Very well said! :up:
I believe death camp analogies are utilized largely because the Final Solution achieved a moral resonance that is missing from the more horrific consequences (as you rightly point out DT) of the world wide atrocity that is abortion. Women's Suffrage used slavery, as did the later Civil Rights Movement, not because they were entirely parallel, but because once again the lesson of that earlier injustice had sufficiently settled in the collective consciousness of the people they meant to reach that it became a fulcrum with which to move public opinion. Is it an intrusion on the pain and memory of those who survived the earlier injustice? Yes. But if it aids the ending of another I doubt their ghosts did or would object.

:first:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Greatly appreciated and humbly accepted. Alright, humbly within the context of me… More seriously, any opportunity to further this cause and the understanding of the righteousness of it I count as a blessing and something I will happily reflect upon at the ending of my days and beyond.

To do even the smallest thing toward a great good is itself a reward of incalculable price, as I know you understand more abundantly.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And second place goes to.... :second:
To speak accurately and on topic, I must say I agree with the previous posts explaining the comparison. The Holocaust perpetrated by Nazi Germany included the slaughter of Soviets, gay men, ethnic Polish, disabled people, and Germans who disagreed with the regime. Are Soviets, gay men, Polish, and disabled people as offended by the comparison as you? Likely not.

The comparison is so elementary it's hard to believe you don't think it's valid. I'm surprised you are offended, actually. I have a dear friend who is a holocaust survivor and encourages me to use the example whenever possible. She survived a concentration camp where several of her siblings were killed. One of my siblings was killed in an abortion clinic in Los Angeles. According to her, we have something in common - the tragic murder of an innocent child, in a location created for the evil purpose of exterminating human life.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well and rightly said Prolifeguyswife. A worthy contibution to the discussion at hand. Examples like that of your friend and your own shared pain are essential in bringing the broader horror into sharp and particularly personal relief. A debt of gratitude is owed those who step forward to put a comprehendible face on an unfathomable evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.